Empire Universe 2

OK my advice for mining with small ships and more than one laser:

What we know:

Small ships can carry at best three lasers for mining or scavenging, two if you add cargo
Cargo space needs to be maximised to increase the fuel efficiency of the operation
Adding lasers to a fleet does not increase its collect rate in line with # of lasers
Always build your scavengers with DX engines, wreckage and asteroids don’t come to you
Cargo ships without lasers are filled by those with lasers as long as they are in the same fleet

My recommendations (take 'em or leave 'em):

If your biggest ship is a cutter:

Build two types of ship, one with large cargo (50k) one with 3xlasers, both with DX engines. Pair them up 1-1 in fleets, this gives you 3xlasers 53k cargo, two engines taking fuel. Use each pair as a unit collect rate should be ~240/min.This is the sweet spot.

Why? well add another laser ship and you get 6xlasers and 55k cargo. But three engines and ~270/min collect rate. so use 50% more fuel for minimal benefit, and you can still only hit one asteroid or wreckage field. Build two pairs you use double the fuel, combined space is 110k and collect rate approx 480/min, on two fields at once. Double production, double coverage.

Once you get to corvette:

One chassis, 2xlasers, 50k cargo, DX. Use singly or if targets are scarce in pairs. Same decreasing benefit rule applies, one ship gives ~220/min 51k cargo, two gives ~250/min 102k cargo double fuel cost single target. To my mind that’s not worth it.

I know race, research level and experience may modify the numbers somewhat but I think the general principle is sound. I did wonder about using even larger chassis as miners/recyclers but from a collect rate standpoint this makes little sense due to the above. Extra capacity, speed etc may well make these a good option but I have nothing bigger than corvette so can’t really decide - no data.

IMHO of course :slight_smile:

edit I know adding more fleets costs £££ in commander wages, but on the upside you are training more commanders too. The least of my problems in the game is money, resources are far more pressing.

edit 2 reorganised my fleets today along the lines above

Fleet1 asteroids 3xcutter each with 1xmining laser, 1xsmall cargo (3 ships total)
Fleet2 asteroids 1xcutter with 3xmining laser, 1xcutter with 1xlarge cargo (2 ships total)
Fleet3 salvage 1xcorvette with 2xsalvage laser, 1xlarge cargo (1 ship total)
Fleet3 salvage 1xcorvette with 2xsalvage laser, 1xlarge cargo (1 ship total)

Total take (10 asteroid and wreckage fields)

Titanium 32674
Copper 7780
Iron 9372
Aluminium 10400
Mercury 15413
Silicon 6720
Uranium 11087
Krypton 21585
Nitrogen 13706
Hydrogen 19879

Grand total 148616

Thats for gathering reports from 12:00 pm until now, or 5 hours in total.

making no allowance for travel times : 148616/5 is 29723 per hour
sites hit 10 = 2 per hour @14862 per site on average

Overall capture rate is 29723/60=495/min including travel, unload, refuel etc. overall or 124/min per fleet
Capture rate for the fleets per hour = 13960 (using the smallest value) or 230/min (38/min less than yesterdays)
Actual capture time is 148616/13960 = 10.64 hours
Efficiency = 10.64/20 (4 fleetsx5 hours) = 53% – to check, 124/230=54% yep close enough with rounding

So this reorg gives me a minimum per fleet of 124/min, overall rate of 495/min including downtime. I’m happy with that. And I know I would not have achieved that rate had I left all the ships together and just added more, I doubt I could have hit 300/min. Yesterday with all the asteroid miners in one big fleet I was getting 268/min whilst mining (no need for calculations I only had one fleet), haven’t got all the log reports to calculate a true rate, but it would obviously be lower.

Food for thought Mojo - :thumbsup:

My collection from an Asteroid and Wreck: 3 of my MR’s (see earlier post here) + 50k Cargo

Titanium 6262
Copper 5100
Iron 13861
Aluminium 6700
Mercury 16736
Silicon 5783
Uranium 9676
Krypton 11349
Nitrogen 5585
Hydrogen 5967

Total = 87019

Reaper update:

Reapers leave you alone until you attack them, so if you have them in system just fly round them :slight_smile:

oops, so me attacking the reapers wasn’t a good plan then ?

Captain Bash strikes again :slight_smile: I don’t think they’ll chase you DT just sit there and shout “AAAR” a lot.

Our auction Corrie Ty was a success. We received the sum of 9.001 credits. The 2.232 credits have been taxed.

LOL mixed level 2 scientist stuck him up for auction for a laugh, some muppet paid nine grand for him. LMAO. I just didn’t want to train him from 2 mixed, and he looked shifty anyway. Its like ebay with lasers, some ppl will buy anything…

I’ll stick the six grand remaining after tax in the team fund :smiley:

edit great day on EUBay and exports, nineteen grand in total for the team pot from me. Don’t want any medals, just pointing out how much you can make in a small time selling surplus carp

What use are the credits?
I have 11,000 so far, happy to top the pot if its of benefit to the team

You can use them to buy stuff on the auctions - engines, guns, scientists… you need cash constantly to pay your commanders and scientists, no money and the scientists will down tools. And you need cash to pay for imports, top up any resources you are low on.

Team “Cash Box” is like a disaster fund so we can bale out anyone who gets a kicking - its under diplomacy on your menu. You are already paying taxes into this as are all of us.

THERE IS NO PUSHING RULE

You can drop whatever you like to whoever you like as long as it is within your own empire. Just load up, fly to another empire planet, and unload. No credits or resources need to come the other way. marvellous!

Proof of the pudding:

Information
Title Raw materials from Springfield to Wolram unload.
Type Commerce
Date 30.06.2010 07:49

Sir! We have raw materials from the Planet of Springfield to Wolram unload. Here you can see the Resource list:
Copper: 10.000
Silicon: 10.000
Krypton: 30.000

edit just commissioned corvette “Parcel-2-Go” which will have 60k cargo space for future runs. My miners and scavengers have better things to do.

MODS

Went from my system to somewhere near TFW to drop resources - travelled by Wormhole. This left me a 9 hr trip at the other end to get to his planet. Asked in chat if this sounded reasonable - TFW’s bit is unexplored space to me so couldn’t really check it out myself.

TWO mods came back within seconds with a list of wormhole hops to get there quicker once I had whispered the coordinates to them. So they are human :slight_smile:

How did they do this I asked, it was mighty quick. Well, off the record no names no pack drill there is a Firefox add-on which will do it for you. Downside is you need to enter the wormhole details each week as they change, and distribute this info to all in the empire. Upside is because it works on this data we could use it now - we don’t need 100% system coverage.

One for the future maybe? haven’t tried to track down the firefox tool

*edit resources will be on planet at 09:45, as opposed to 16:00 “overland”, and I will have saved mucho hydro. This is really powerful stuff!

Dock will become available when you research the frigate chassis (to build or research I don’t know) - from chat

NPC commander rank makes a difference in battle (more welly & take less damage), so try and use the same commander(s) for all your warbirds, even if you hit some reapers and get your ass handed to you on a plate you will gain battle xp. NPC commanders are trained by what you tell them to do, not by points like your own - from chat

Found it @ https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/14696/

Another one to think about for the medium future:

Whispered to me in chat. As soon as we are at dock level (we should all get there in a similar timeframe now we can push resources around) we can buy/import/trade components like engines, weps, shields between each other. At around the same time research is going to open up and we are going to have to make choices. At the moment we have limited choice of what to research.

His advice was 1 or 2 players in each empire concentrate on one type of research which relates to ships (equipment, weapons, engines) and buy in the rest of their tech, either from the open market or within the empire. Once that branch of the tree is exhausted then we can individually research the missing bits we have, retrospectively. In this way we will always have the best equipment we can, by either research or trade. Players will have top tech to trade or auction compared to our start-date peers. Chassis and misc researches will have to be done individually, you can’t trade them.

Now we have seen that pushing is allowed nay positively encouraged, might be a plan worthy of consideration? I can see the advantages myself but would welcome other viewpoints - extra eyes on an idea always a good thing.

hehehe I have lvl3 shipyard, I now have a repair button on the fleet detail screen, maybe because of lvl3 s/yard? I have no dock. I always thought you needed a dock to repair? Mind you I’ve never had a damaged fleet before either. I’ve pressed it, fleet status has gone to repair, going to work soon so can’t really comment on whether anything is actually happening will update in the a.m.

Yep, tried to oppress some reaper scanners. And yep, lost. We need shields to tackle reapers or massive superiority.

Bunker level 3 & Shipyard level 5 (total of all shipyards in “Your” Empire) = Build, store and sell components to “TPR” Empire members. [See Help Pages]
Cuts down therefore on the time to build ships by stockpiling components.

Dock makes for better repairing according to Help pages as well as renaming and scrapping.

[QUOTE=Mojo;454413]… research is going to open up and we are going to have to make choices. At the moment we have limited choice of what to research.

His advice was 1 or 2 players in each empire concentrate on one type of research which relates to ships (equipment, weapons, engines) and buy in the rest of their tech, either from the open market or within the empire. Once that branch of the tree is exhausted then we can individually research the missing bits we have, retrospectively…

… I can see the advantages myself but would welcome other viewpoints - extra eyes on an idea always a good thing.[/QUOTE]

I’m game for that, it sounds a good business plan :smiley:

My best 2 scientists currently are Equipment 8 and Engines 7 (will probably also be 8 when current research ends - about 4 days :frowning: )

I’m guessing we may all be about the same, so now would be a good time to discuss which skill we’re going to pursue on an individual basis - maybe with a new thread listing all of our researchers and take it from there ?

I have Dock in the ‘unavailable’ research list, no idea how to unlock it though, and Bunker 3 coupled with Shipyard 5 seems an expensive and far away goal at the moment :lol:

If we are to do this can we go to a hidden sub as we are getting hits on google according to warmheart

To unlock the dock you need a frigate ship which relies on the research Great Warship (Chassis). (source - (sensible) chat) So any prior Chassis would be advised for you to get access to it.

Hope that helps!

Also, all you potential warbirds, take a look HERE on the looki board - interesting read for ya perhaps!

For Building costs and times of construction see THIS!

Interesting comment from chat

12:45 panis_rahl: i use salvage tools with 120k cargo and seperate cargo ships when i reach 80% capacity i detatch cargo ships and return them home then my miniers keep mining i simply add the cargo ships back to the fleet when they return

so … you can alter the fleet composition without needing to be at your home base ?

which means, given time and a large enough Asteroid or Wreck, you can grab the lot using that ‘ferry’ method :chin: