Locking Wheel nuts

I disagree try McGARD Ultra, they stop most scum bags.

Cracked it! 15mm of 4mm piano wire held in one groove with Bluetack. Socket on, a wack with hammer. Job done. Ideally, place the wire slightly proud (lengthwise), of the groove and angled slightly towards the centre of the nut. This makes it easier to slide the socket on. I donā€™t know if it will work with other designs, but it was surprisingly easy with mine and the socket was undamaged.

I have a Ford Galaxy and have just discovered that I can not change the wheel due to a locked nut and the key is not in the toolbox etc
I have rung Ford who need a keycode to be faxed to Germany! The breakdown service can not help me and I need to get my son to swimming!
Is it worth buying the Halfords tool (Ford did not mention this option!)

Many thanks for your help and advice!
Pamela

[QUOTE=wolram;278678]ā€¦ but wouldnā€™t 3kg of semtex leave a scorch mark on the wheel :confused:

:lol: :lol:[/QUOTE]

Of course its handy to have my posts linked to Semtex in Googles database.
:sigh:

As my luck would have it the latest Ebay purchased Daewoo had a slight problem with its nuts too.

They should look like this and come off easily. This one did as I found the removal tool.
This one has struggled before but came undone as long as I leaned on the tool in the right way.
However this one has put up a real fight in the past hence the bit missing and pikey socket burrs on the sides.

Had to give up on the last one an get a garage to remove it.
A closer inspection makes a fairly convincing argument for the last person to touch this one was the chap that fitted it in about 1998.
So if in doubt, weld a 1/2 inch socket to the bloody thing

[QUOTE=MrTFWitt;278645]Well then, if anyone here needs a little help removing locking wheel nuts it seems Halfords and motorists discount centres now sell a handy tool for removing them.

Its a couple of universal fit sockets that are threaded on the inside and you sort of push it onto the offending nut and just keep on undoing until it bites hard enough to undo the offending nut/bolt.
The product is a ā€œLASER - Locking Wheel nut remover, Part number 3291ā€

However, if you have a Ford Galaxy, VW Sharan, or Seat Alhambra and possibly any other VW Iā€™ve found a shockingly easy way to undo the security bolts.

Iā€™m sure this knowledge will be common amongst those who sell lots of second hand alloys but I still wont post it here in full.

If TPR Regulars find them selves stuck, drop me a PM and I will explain.

I might sell the information on Ebay just to annoy Ford since they lost the flaming key when it was being serviced and wanted to charge me for removal and supply of new bolts :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

can you help i have a ford galaxy and a broken key and cant get the bloody wheel nuts off and have a flat, the nice people at fords told me that they no longer stock or make this model and that i would have to bring it in and get them to take them off at Ā£75 an hour, so if you could help it would be great, thanks janet

While there are still Crappy Fords out there with decaying wheel bolt keys this thread will just keep coming back

:slight_smile:

This thread is like Slade - it keeps coming up every Christmas time!

Its that time of yearā€¦

With a prime example of how NOT to do it ā€¦

Prepare to be amazed

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2684546

yup, correct, thatā€™s an amazing example of ā€¦

WOW

DT.

Man I never cease to be amazed at just how dumb some folks areā€¦

[QUOTE=MrTFWitt;278645]Well then, if anyone here needs a little help removing locking wheel nuts it seems Halfords and motorists discount centres now sell a handy tool for removing them.

Its a couple of universal fit sockets that are threaded on the inside and you sort of push it onto the offending nut and just keep on undoing until it bites hard enough to undo the offending nut/bolt.
The product is a ā€œLASER - Locking Wheel nut remover, Part number 3291ā€

However, if you have a Ford Galaxy, VW Sharan, or Seat Alhambra and possibly any other VW Iā€™ve found a shockingly easy way to undo the security bolts.

Iā€™m sure this knowledge will be common amongst those who sell lots of second hand alloys but I still wont post it here in full.

If TPR Regulars find them selves stuck, drop me a PM and I will explain.

I might sell the information on Ebay just to annoy Ford since they lost the flaming key when it was being serviced and wanted to charge me for removal and supply of new bolts :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Hi
I have the problem with a Seat Alhambra.
Can you help please?
The locking wheel nut tool separated on the wheel nut and is now useless.
PS itsā€™ still on the wheel.
Thanks
Andy

Hi Andy, welcome to the forums. Do you have any pictures of the current state of the nut? I would suggest the first port of call is to clear the broken tool out of the way.

Then being cheeky, Iā€™d drive straight to a Seat garage with broken pieces and dump on desk making a reasonable amount of fuss, at the bare minimum they can take the locking nut off and replace with a non locking one :smiley:

Other methods are, a little more destructive :devil:

DT.

Or if you want a LOT more destruction, invite MrTFWitt round, open a couple of beers, and give him free run of your garage and toolkitsā€¦

It may not work, but you should have some great pics and anecdotes :wink:

[QUOTE=Walter Oā€™Reilly;447874]Or if you want a LOT more destruction, invite MrTFWitt round, open a couple of beers, and give him free run of your garage and toolkitsā€¦

It may not work, but you should have some great pics and anecdotes ;-)[/QUOTE]

And one less SEATā€¦

Andy, get some pictures on here so we can come up with a plan.

Iā€™ll put a few beers on to chill.

Whats actually broken ?
The Seat key or have you bought the Halfords Laser tool and broken that ?

Had four new tyres on my Galaxy and the fitter said " sheā€™s all ready mate - locking wheel nut is in the glove box!"
Only problem is, NO IT ISNā€™T and they now disclaim all knowledge of the incident, rather conveniently.
How can I get around this??

Well I just hammered a socket onto it in the end.

A 24mm socket I think was a perfect fit with a lump hammer, just use one with 12 sides or more inside as they bite into the bolt in twice as many places as a six sided impact socket.

Cheapest option for getting somebody else to do it would be a visit to a breakers yard, they strip cars every day that have no locking wheel nut key.

PS: Does your galaxy have more than one glove box ? just a thought :wink: