Microsoft Looking to ditch WIndows 8? Lots of rumours

They have always dictated the user interface with minimal levels of configurability. This is a MS problem, not just Windows. For example, I’ve recently been “upgraded” to Office 2013 from 2010 at work. Benefits: zero. Things that are changed for no benefit or even a reduction in performance: the list grows daily.

unification of devices - a phrase that I’m really starting to hate

I have no issues with a tablet looking and being used like a tablet, same for a phone and a pc and xbox - stop with this we are too dumb to change platform rubbish :frowning:

I read once that Rovio make more money off the free version of Angry Birds than they do off the paid version… Due to adverts… That could easily be a system adopted into Windows?

Free : Adverts and less functions
Free version + Subscription for nominal fee clears adverts?
Free version + Subscription + Purchase of apps to add functions?

Should work?

MS did try ad supported software in the form of Office. It was OEM only, and I have the 2010 version bundled on one of my laptops. I can pay to “upgrade” to to the normal (no ads) version. Would it have gained more traction if it were generally available and not limited to OEMs? Instead I fiddled with LibreOffice for a bit then bought 2013 for a tenner on HUP.

Lots of stuff happening today…

They have announced there will be zero cost versions of Windows in future, but not for the desktop. Applies to “internet of things” devices, phones and tablets under 9". I assume that excludes netbooks also.

In a slightly related way concerning Win 8 (or 8.1 with or without Bling)

wifes old laptop (lenovo running XP) is showing signs of rapid decay, so I’ve been looking for a half decent but cheapish replacement running the Win 7 OS . … right then, best of luck with that Wol :frowning:

There’s a ton of stuff running the ‘super’ win 8 (in all of its variants) at prices you couldn’t beat at a car boot sale, but anything with Win 7 has the equivalent price of a 2 bed semi in Kensington.

I may be forced into the ‘refurbished’ route to find anything suitable (with a decent warranty) :coffee:

Get yerself a cheapo laptop from Ebuyer and then buy this from Amazon - Win7 Pro 32bit & 64bit for £59.00. The only issue might be drivers, but if you can find the manufacturere they should be available there.

One thing I’ve noticed recently is that the Windows 7 update that performs the WGA thingy has disappeared off the update downloads, as though Microsh*te no longer care about the number of people using hacked keys.

@Droid - up until recently you could get Win7 Pro discs with keys for under £40… I obtained 3 off fleabay and amazon when I was updating from XP to Win7… But since Microsh*te withdrew Win7 from distribution to consumers looks like sellers are starting to cash in on it.

They are still distributing it to OEMs so you still might be able to request it from a OEM supplier.