TPR Hardware Gallery

Yeah i meant like 8 cores but with the process makeing 8 vitral cores. I personaly like intel so Thats why i dont keep up to date with amd and dont know if a amd phenom is better or not. Maybe this time the hyper threading will stick but on videos on youtube, the i7 is much faster than a quad that is the same speed.

Hyper threading has uses under some conditions on certain hardware. Intel are not alone in such implementations, Sun have done it too, except even more extreme. The key is to make maximum benefit from the hardware. No, the extra cores are not the same performance as an extra real physical core, but the cost to get them is much lower. On the P4 HT, the biggest increase to throughput I saw was on Lifemapper if anyone remembers crunching that. 50% extra throughput compared to HT off. In performance, Core 2 already destroys anything AMD has on offer for the desktop. i7 is further kicking them when they’re down. The last refuge of AMD is in the multi-processor server space, and i7 with HT is going to destroy them there too.

I like to think of it like tetris the game on steroids lol

Oh yes, i7 Core is no doubt better… but everything that makes it great seems to be everything that AMD have designed and built… Intel just came along and Thrown 50 Times the amount of money into the R&D.

I am pleased that Intel have finally built a True quad core and hopfully in the future Every piece of software will make full use of all the cores much better, such as Google Chrome…

Love the idea of each webpage is a Process… I dont like google chrome as its too early and basic… but if Firefox was to do the same thing I would drool.

I have five machines with dual quad core Xeons. A Dell 2950 and four I built. Two have Asus DSBV-DX mobos, one has a Tyan s2696, my main rig has a Tyan s5397. The s5397 with two 5440 Xeons is much faster than an i7 920 (and much, much more expensive).

I just can’t wait til we start to get Quad Socket i7 motherboards.

Wow. You must need a big house for all your computers ! i thought you only had 3 and the dells from the pics you posted but know your saying you got 5 dual motherborad, 3 i7’s, dells and loads more i bet ! :trophy: id hate to see your bill… And you job must be well paid :smiley:

is that possable ? I thought it would only be the new socket 1366. Plus the socket 1366 borads seem Alot better and the P6T deluxe Good for OCing.

Nowt special lol prob my neatest build replacing my old Core Due E8400 after 5 years longest I have ever gone without upgrading :stuck_out_tongue: lol.

Lang-Li Case (Much prefer Coolermaster cases) cheap and nasty motherboard screws ended up using some from old builds that worked out much better.

Asus Deluxe Z97 Motherboard
Intel 4Ghz Devils Canyon(4.4Ghz Turbo) Watercooled with Corsair H100i (modded to fit, case needs really 15mm/20mm fans) 25mm causes clash with motherboards VRMs).
16Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3 2133mhz
2 * Intel 730 240Gb SSD’s in Raid Zero
NV GTX550ti out of old rig plan on jumping on an 870ti eqv. series when they come out

So got at least 5-7x the performance for pretty much 0 change in electrical Watts consumed :woot:

Classic cinebench 11.5 score went up from 1.4ish to 9.8 and 10.28 with a bit of overclock.

If the site still exists i’ll update again in another 5 years time :wink: :wasted:

Nice upgrade PMM! Looking to do the same with my old case, upgrading from a 2.9ghz AMD dually to another AMD AM3+ 6 or 8 core CPU, a suitable mobo (yet to be decided), 8gb minimum RAM and a new GPU (again to be decided). I’ve needed an upgrade for a while and having taken on Elite: Dangerous, my dual core is woefully underpowered. Like yourself, the last upgrade happened in 2009 and is well overdue.

I’m sticking with my old Msquared branded ATX case as it suits the upgrade I’m going for and for posterity as the company no longer exists, but still may need a new PSU as the old 550W is not modular and I’m sick of fighting the extra cables each time I want to dismantle it. A lot of people are grumpy about the AMD stock coolers supplied with the CPU as too noisy so I might go down the water-cooled route, although some of the Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro models get a good review and aint that dear or noisy either.

I’ll let you know when I dive in, as soon as the cash comes to hand.

Ooh, they still make new CPUs then? :smiley: I’m so out of the loop. Since the mobile thing kicked off, you just don’t see much about desktop kit any more.

Had my current box over 3 years (i7-2600 based). Not even sure what half the kit in it is now! Think my gfx are a HD6850 but I still have a GTX560 in there which does occasional crunching and maybe physx if any games support it. Was years ago but I had desktop blanking problems with the GTX, hence switching to the ATI. And that’s showing age too, I think they were still ATI then! The only thing I’ve upgraded is storage, with 2x2TB and 2x3TB disks as well as the OS/programs SSD.

Half thought about upgrading as I’m CPU limited still, but not sure anything is enough of a jump. Weren’t they talking about doing the next 6 core desktop chip soon? Can’t beat a bit of brute force as the IPC from newer generations I’m not sure is enough to make the difference.

That also reminds me, I should clear out my old boxes which are taking up space somewhere.

Rumor has it 28/29 of this month for the next 6 and 8 core with the new x99 boards decided not to follow that route as very much overkill for me :slight_smile:

Hmmm… going by the above Quarter 4 next year got to be posting a new setup :rofl: better get saving.

Getting things together for a VR box, decided to go AMD Ryzen 7.
Should be a chuckle !

Sarge.

Did you decide to get the Rift?

There’s a known bug with the Vive wireless adapter (that allows you to use VR headset without cables) and Ryzen chipsets which I haven’t head about getting resolved.

Can you tell me more ?
Will be going with the Occulus.

Sarge.

If you’re getting the rift it doesn’t affect you. Even if you got a Vive, it would only be a potential problem if you then forked out extra to get the wireless adapter. Don’t know what the problem was but it sounded bad enough they were refunding at the time.

Yes, got the Rift Marvel pack from Argos - cheapest i found it.
Stocks look to be thin on the ground right now.

Sarge.

it does seem to be a present for many this Christmas, not quite on the level that the WII was many moons ago

Well, I settled on the spec for the new Rift PC.

After toying with the idea of going AMD Ryzen 7, i spent an afternoon checking specs and benchmarks, specifically with regard to gaming / 3D graphics etc.

Turns out that most modern games wont use above 4 cores on the cpu anyway, so i did a bit of research and ended up settling on the Intel i5 9600k. This has very good single core performance and has 6 real cores - no hyperthreading, and comes out at about half the price of the i7, which is no better with regard to single core performance.

With regard to the motherboard, it seems that this is a bit of a minefield. The first generation Z390 boards mostly seem to suffer with VRM overheating issues, although this only really applies if you are using a top end i7. Lots of complaints were found on various reviews about the VRM issue.
This appears to have been overcome in the latest boards which now use 12 phase power ( or more ) on the VRM system. Something to look for if you are Z390 shopping.
After a lot of reading and sniffing about i decided on the Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI. Best bang for the buck, has a solid VRM and the plan was to use two RX580 Cards in Crossfire anyway, and this board has good spacing between the Pci-e 16 way slots, so it ticked all the boxes. It left a bit more cash in the kitty so i could get a Samsung 970 Pro M2 ssd instead of the 970 EVO which was originally planned.

So far so good - all the boxes should be here on Friday - if the Christmas post allows.
Will be having an interesting weekend putting it all together.

Sarge.

Interesting choice going with two 580’s. Any particular reason? SLI/Crossfire has never been that well supported and generally going for the single fastest card at the same price would do better in most things.

About a year ago I got 3 of them just to get a Steam achievement in 3DMark. Yes, I got hardware to get a virtual badge in a benchmark. Putting that aside, the crossfire experience was… let’s say, not so fun. Maybe drivers are better now but it seemed quite flakey, and that’s before I tried overclocking them… I just run them as single cards in different systems now.

Also, IMO the mobo VRM thing I feel is overblown. Unless you’re going for heroic overclocks you’re unlikely to run into any problems with it.