*Updated* Rising from the Flames we are staying put!

All,

The forums have been really quiet lately and being very honest, with the new GDPR stuff being enforced in May and a database with so many users details, I’m going into personal protection here and the forums are going to cease to exist.

I think the Facebook page that has also been very quiet will continue and I may use some other third parties which don’t put the GDPR pressures on me as the site owner. This may mean things like a Discord group being linked to when you visit here.

A heavy heart goes with this - anyone else is welcome to take over the reigns if you so wish to do so.

Sorry.

DT.

Sign of the times :sigh:

It’s nothing like it used to be, people and circumstances change, technology changes, rules and regulations surrounding privacy and disclosure are constantly shifting, the internet as a whole has become more open yet more closed off in what we can and cannot do.

Nowadays it only takes one word or phrase to be taken out of context and the whole site (and it’s owner) are put under intense scrutiny.

We have gained the freedom to do nothing . . .

We have our memories of the fun times and the sad times, and that’s something that can never be removed or replaced.

oh, and I guess that light bulb in the dungeon won’t need changing again :smiley: :tiphat:

Gee DT, I’m sorry to hear that. Thank you for your leadership for the last… what was it, two decades?

Say goodbye to everyone for me. --Tom

thanks both

:smackbum:

It’s going to be a sad day when the forum closes…

Thanks DT

Such a shame but as you said it’s a sign of the times.

I do try and post and keep active but I guess it’s difficult when others don’t post and the cycle continues.

I personally use tapatalk to keep active on the forums I use but I tend to post mostly on AVforums these days.

If the site stays active I’ll happily continue to visit and post but if you do choose to switch it off I couldn’t fault you for it.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Sad day, but not unexpected.
Thanks to all for the last however many years.
Thanks to DT for looking after us.
We still have a group on steam.
So long and thanks for all the fish. ( new series started this thursday radio 4 18:30 )

TPR will fight on… I’m still crunching away!!!

You gotta do what’s best for yourself Malk and the time is right IMHO. As regards SETI, currently SETI is at 499700 WUs done by yours truly, so will be stopping at 500,000 as I posted on Facebook. Don’t think I will be doing any other projects after that. Lost the interest and can’t afford the leccy any more. Be a sad day, but I think I’ve done my time and deserve a break.

I think the site may remain, but as a static (ish) site with just closed forums - or maybe new forums with invite only to get rid of the legacy of the past years posts and user data. I’ve a meeting in two weeks with work regarding GDPR and how site owners are best protect, so there’s a small chance there is a safe way to continue the site.

It’s truly wrenching away at me at the moment on what to do - I do miss the old days, but we must move on and the membership is so quiet as it’s spread out over a number of different platforms and people have moved on to personal preference.

Can’t please everyone all the time has never been more true!

DT.

[QUOTE=DoubleTop;468202]I think the site may remain, but as a static (ish) site with just closed forums - or maybe new forums with invite only to get rid of the legacy of the past years posts and user data. I’ve a meeting in two weeks with work regarding GDPR and how site owners are best protect, so there’s a small chance there is a safe way to continue the site.

It’s truly wrenching away at me at the moment on what to do - I do miss the old days, but we must move on and the membership is so quiet as it’s spread out over a number of different platforms and people have moved on to personal preference.

Can’t please everyone all the time has never been more true!

DT.[/QUOTE]

True enough Malk. Half a million in SETI now done. so crunching stops for me now. As I’ve said in the past, as long as the site is up, I’ll visit and respond to any posts that appear. Been great fun and a good time.

I’ve seen many fads or trends fade away as interest or technology have moved on, but not many have caught my interest or passion as much as crunching did, this site and the members of TPR had a great deal to do with it. Although my crunching days are long past I’ve still popped in from time to time to see what the die-hards have had to say, I’ll miss this place and thanks a lot Malc for your efforts and leadership.

One question DT… how does GDPR affect things like forums?

This is the only forum I am a member of where the GPDR issue has been brought up…

The site owner is responsible for any future date breach of personal information held in the database. Now we don’t hold a lot, but emails and connectivity times are held as part of the audit trail of the system. I’ve a meeting with an expert in these matter in a couple of weeks and we may be able to change what data is stored and the site t&c to cover GDPR.

With my work doing what I do (when not slacking) I can’t afford to be caught up in something over a forum that has gone as quiet as a mouse.

DT.

DT, let me know how your meeting goes.

If its an evening thing over beer, let me know, might be able to find my way to pub near you.

Might be able to step up and run the show, perhaps the site should only be open on Tuesdays ?
:wink:

Also, the Vbulletin developers seem to have bought a load of T-Shirts emblazoned with the letters CGAF to wear in response to the topic of GDPR

https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum/general/chit-chat/4376685-gdpr-and-vbulletin

I’ve been looking at how other forum software is looking to “manage” GDPR and managing the active userbase for a new install is an option, but so far none of them I’ve been in contact with comply with the basics.

It needs to be looked at across the board, all systems - but so many don’t comply and have contradictions. My recent one I’m involved in is regarding home purchases. GDPR - don’t keep data, financial regs = keep years worth, who would you rather argue with in court :lol:

It’s so dense, I understand the principal of the data breach notifications - but the information requests and the users request for you to delete all info - I was at a seminar and honestly asked if I needed to record that I had deleted a users information and how many off-shore developers would then be caught in an infinite loop of delete, record deletion, delete record of deletion, record the record of deletion of deletion …

Besides, pretty sure I owe you a ride in the Rolls - shame this weekends weather forecast is so crappy, don’t fancy the A34 in snow.

A shame it’s come to this, but the internet has become a scary place now that state-sponsored hacking is the rule rather than the exception.

That said, I will continue crunching F@H for team 315.

Illegitimi non carborundum! :tiphat:

DT you and I know the reason and it is that new old car, LOL! I will say this I came for crunch and found many friends. Life moves forward and to all my M8’s I will remember looking in from over the pond at the events and well seeing DT painted was a woot. I’ll keep crunching for now like always as the science is what brought us all and we stayed for the BEER! Many thanks to DT and all for hanging with a GEEK held up in the basement…can someone let me out now I need to peeeeee!

I think I’m going to screw a raspberry Pi into the Galaxy and make a flaky Sat-Nav that plays spotify and tells me what the REAL engine temperature is.
The Dashboard gauge is such a poker faced liar, Cold or 90’c or Oh you are in traffic lets report 130’c because I forgot the cooling fan might like to know
Gaffer Tape will be involved.

Maybe we need to re-invent a focus, Beer and Spud guns have their place (perhaps not following us round the internet forever though :wink: