Upgrade time again......

nice - I’ve not had a new bit of kit to play with for a while now, unless I suppose I should count the HP Omen laptop - that thing can push through some good numbers, but the cooling fans already starting to show signs of bearing failures :frowning: RMA time on that unit

I cracked up again. I’ve now got 2 Ryzen 1600’s.

The second one I put into a system running Windows 7 to see what would happen… It booted up into Windows OK but hit me with “Unsupported hardware” error message after booting up… did an upgrade install of Win 10 Pro 64 and wasn’t long before up and running again… There’s plenty of Windows 10 keys available on ebay for under £5!!! :chuckle:…

Found that with Dell hardware as well. If you want to run Windows 7, you can only use up to a Skylake processor for the most part, as the Kabylake CPU is not supported for Win 7 by Dell. You can’t even get drivers from them. Had a right hard time finding graphics drivers to get one working, having to use HP graphics drivers, but in the end had to abandon it anyway as the encryption software I have to use would not work with it either. The company will be upgrading to Win 10 soon though so should be sorted.

I must admit I didn’t like Windows 10 when it first came out… but I am warming to it now…

The adapter for the Coolermaster 212 EVO finally turned up… fitted it and the system is chugging along at 52 DegC on full load with 11 Rosetta tasks and 1 GPUGrid task running… a drop of 13 DegC from running on the AMD Heatpipe cooler.

That’s what I have in my gaming rig and it’s performed faultlessly. I have considered water-cooling, but the Hyper 212 works good enough for me to not bother. It is a big sucker, but fitted OK in my 15 year old case. with about 3mm to spare :slight_smile:

I did have a Xigmatek Aegir S128264 running on one of the crunchers I’ve upgraded but unfortunately the mounting system is incompatible with AM4 so I replaced that with a Deppcool Gammaxx 400 which has an AM4 compatible clip attachment. It’s matching the Hyper 212 for cooling performance and has the option of adding a second 120mm fan…

Well, after giving a few years of sterling crunching service one of my EVGA GTX670’s started to fail… intermittently the display would become corrupt, which stopped when I swapped to an old 9500GT which I have spare… so I ordered a GTX1060 as replacement… 2 weeks later my 2nd GTX670 also started playing up so a second GTX1060 duly ordered…

Should bump up my GPUGRID RAC quite a bit… and with less power consumption!!!

To reduce power usage and cut down noise, I fitted a 248GB SSD, works great and 12 second boot time is a bonus. I like the 1060s and they’re nearly at a price I want to pay, but at the mo, the 960GTX 4GB is doing OK. Maybe next year…

now running 3 x 1070 8Gb cards thanks to Ethereum profit making, they are mining ETH at the moment but I’ll switch them every so often to a BOINC project or Folding :slight_smile:

DT.

[QUOTE=DoubleTop;468138]now running 3 x 1070 8Gb cards thanks to Ethereum profit making, they are mining ETH at the moment but I’ll switch them every so often to a BOINC project or Folding :slight_smile:

DT.[/QUOTE]What sort of profits are you hitting with them? We are in the process of putting together a rig with about 8 gfx cards for this exact process…

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

-100 GPU clock, +800 (or more if stable) on memory clock, 70% power target = 30MH/s - with my home machine and the W plug meter thing, 175W draw at the socket. Stock 1070 = 225W and only 25MH/s

I need them anyway for my work in Unreal Engine, so it’s all profit for me. Roughly at current price £1.80 a day ish per card. I’m in it for the long game though, no short selling or trading here.

DT.

Ooh, I’m late to the ethereum craze. Started early December and I think I’ll end the year with a balance of just under 0.4 eth. Currently it is providing a decent, often excessive amount of heating. My 1070 FE stock is doing 26MH/s. I bought myself 3x RX 580 8GB just to get a steam achievement for 3DMark (run 3x cards in crossfire/SLI) and now they’re redirected to mining also. At current tuning level they’re also doing 26MH/s, but they overheat if I put more than one in a system. They need the AMD blockchain driver otherwise they only do 19 MH/s with gaming driver. The blockchain driver is broken on Win7, at least for that generation card (works fine on a 280X). I hear the latest gaming drivers have a switch between compute and gaming, but I can’t find it. Task for new year might be to get a riser kit and build a mount to give them some space. For now I can’t even run all 3, as I don’t have enough Win10 systems available with a decent enough PSU.

Some other rates:
Asus Strix 1080 Ti OC (stock) 32 MH/s
Zotac 1060 3GB (stock) 20 MH/s
Vega 56 (+100 mem) 34 MH/s
R7 280X (stock) 10 MH/s

I don’t run it all full time, in part as I actually use them for other things, and in part so my house doesn’t melt.

I only dabbled with nicehash a little bit when the craze hit in summer. The 0.015 BTC I got then wasn’t significant, but with recent increases it was enough for me to buy a new case from Scan, who happen to take BTC. That process wasn’t exactly simple or fun, but it did work eventually.

I’m switching to a CPU challenge at midnight so I think I will have to stop mining for that duration as heat would be excessive otherwise. #firstworldproblems

the rig with 2 1070’s is consistent and has been over the break at 60MH/s with the -100/+800 clock. The home machine has been tinkered with even more, -80 on GPU clock, +1000 on memory with 80% power target. Latest gaming drivers, no specials as this is the machine with the Rift plugged in and it has the mining efforts off more than on as playing so many hours on the Rift.

I do now have a “spare” RX480, this was my first card used for VR, work done in the Unreal Engine, hasn’t been tinkered with in the slightest as was pure work and then not quite enough power to play some VR titles on full settings.

I’ve a Q8300 something or other in the office and a PSU that will manage the 480 - going through the choices for BOINC/Folding work on that card/rig though as the 1070’s are producing enough to pay for the running of the BOINC rig :slight_smile:

The CPU challenge is in full swing and temps are still on the hot side with windows open a crack… no more GPU power until that is over. Looks like I need to tweak my 1070 if I’m going to leave it on mining. Still we have the complication of possibly different settings of mining vs gaming. Not sure about that yet. The 1070 is in my VR dedicated desktop.

Oh, did more playing with drivers and things. In AMD 17.12.2 I finally found the compute/gaming setting, and on a 580 the compute setting gives near enough the same hashrate as the blockchain beta driver. So I can keep up to date with drivers again it seems without the big penalty to hashrate (approx. 19 MH/s gaming, 26 MH/s compute). Haven’t tested it out on other cards yet.

Finally setup a mining rig with 5 rx 570s. Total Mhs at the moment is 130. With some bios modding but I need to make some tweaks. No overclocking yet either.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

you’ll need to turn the radiator off :lol:

Think about eth mining on only four of them and taking a gamble on an alt coin on the 5th, that would be my “investment” advice.

My 3x1070 setup and one RX480 is running a decent average of 106MH/s at the moment. Taking a punt on LUXCoin with a 7870 and a 1050 laptop.

DT.

Rad already off. It’s the gaming room and its always warm anyway so turned it off with the occasional turn on just for a few nights to keep it ticking.

I have some alt coin from my older desktop previously. The plan is to run the rig for a few weeks on eth at the moment and then do some risk with other coins.

Going to setup another rig with two cards to mine alt coins then all the time. The setup is currently running with simpleminingOS as its much easier to manage and easier to swap to other currencies at the drop of a hat.

Will see where things go…at least once the rig is retired boinc will get a nice boost :smiley:

How’s everyone doing with the recent value rollercoaster?

I’m still accumulating ethereum and should have one whole unit soon if not already passed. Not sure as I’m having trouble getting the wallet synced. Doesn’t seem possible unless you use a SSD as HDs can’t keep up. But the storage size is now bigger than will fit on most of my SSDs, and I don’t want to put it on a bigger one. Still need to play with “lite” wallet option and see if that helps.

Not a lot going on hardware wise is there? Ryzen gen 2 is due out shortly so that’ll be one to look at, think the whole internet wants to know if they’ve improved max clocks. That reminds me, AMD’s technical marketing manager has claimed Threadripper is efficient enough on CPU coins to pay itself off within a year, although that statement was made before the recent falls so it is unlikely to be the case now.

hardware rumours of Nvidia 10 series cards, but prices will be insane if current 1080 prices are anything to go by.

My 3 x 1070 and 1 RX480 are just adding to my little eth balance roughly about 0.06 - 0.08 a week depending on how much I shut it off when working. With the price fluctuations my total asset value is managing to roughly stay around the same ish value as my production is just about matching the dips.

Once Monday pool payout happens I’ll have just shy of 1.5eth, I’ve a dabble amount in LUXcoin and some Monero in a wallet as well from CPU. I’ve also a little in NiceHash balance as well that I may push over the payout limit soon, pays direct in Bitcoin.