What annoyed me today...

Will the short term insurance cover it ? dayinsure I think they are called

Good thoughts and Fran has spoken to direct with DVLA.

Apparently, it has to be first taxed with the existing registration, then the log book sent away for the plate transfer and issue a of new tax disk showing the new registration. The insurance has to be valid both on the day I get the first tax disk and also on the day they change the log book - but it can take up to 14 days before they get round to processing it.

So - I’ve gone for 21 days insurance for £24 and the tax disk will cost £118. If I surrender it in the first month that’s another £20.

Ho Hum…

[QUOTE=TheFiend;458849]Getting a letter off British gas saying they were sorry that they were losing my custom… when I had never asked to be transferred to another supplier.

There is another house on the same street with the same number but has a different postcode… and it was him that requested the change but gave the wrong postcode (ie mine) … Scottish gas just gave British Gas the details of the house number and the incorrect post code, not the name of the account… :furious:

After checking serial number on my meter they apologised and said they will correct the error… Perhaps they should have checked earlier on!!! :furious:[/QUOTE]

2 month later and this problem has finally been sorted… And after having a load of grief over it they offered me a huge £20 compensation…:furious:

Wow - bonus :rolleyes:

They gave me back £20 as well recently and I didn’t even ask :smiley:

Today I was annoyed by not refitting the dishwasher pipes properly and getting an unexpected water feature in the middle of the house.

If I had a swear box in the house it would have an IOU note poking out of it about now.

Thought I’d pop into PC World (Currys) on the way home from work today and purchase another 1 gig stick of RAM for the daughters laptop …

right sir, that’s £28 … erm, I’ll not bother thanks

got home, fired the computer up and went to Crucial site, same stick for £13, free delivery

:sigh:

They are a rip-off. Definitely a distress purchase only.

[QUOTE=MrTFWitt;460091]Today I was annoyed by not refitting the dishwasher pipes properly and getting an unexpected water feature in the middle of the house.

If I had a swear box in the house it would have an IOU note poking out of it about now.[/QUOTE]

what no CCTV footage for the latest viral advert for plumbing insurance?

[QUOTE=wolram;460110]Thought I’d pop into PC World (Currys) on the way home from work today and purchase another 1 gig stick of RAM for the daughters laptop …

right sir, that’s £28 … erm, I’ll not bother thanks

got home, fired the computer up and went to Crucial site, same stick for £13, free delivery

:sigh:[/QUOTE]

OUCH!!! This is one of the reasons I’ve embraced smart phones, use the camera, scan the barcode and up comes a list of sites thanks to Google Shopping with prices. Price match this :smiley:

DT.

[QUOTE=The Balrog;460039]I’ve had an old car with personal plates sorned on my drive for over a year and have finally got my act together to sell it. Got it a new battery, a bit of a look over and an MoT last week.

Now for some reason, to transfer the plates off, I have to tax it. OK if that’s the way its done - but under the new rules, to tax it I have to insure it.
This is getting expensive for a 1999 car but even if I take it to the scrap yard, I still have to shell out for tax & insurance to get the plates off. :([/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=The Balrog;460046]Good thoughts and Fran has spoken to direct with DVLA.

Apparently, it has to be first taxed with the existing registration, then the log book sent away for the plate transfer and issue a of new tax disk showing the new registration. The insurance has to be valid both on the day I get the first tax disk and also on the day they change the log book - but it can take up to 14 days before they get round to processing it.

So - I’ve gone for 21 days insurance for £24 and the tax disk will cost £118. If I surrender it in the first month that’s another £20.

Ho Hum…[/QUOTE]

The latest in this saga is that they seem to suspect that something is a little fishy and want to inspect the car before issuing the tax disk. Jeez it’s just got an MoT :shrug: Anyway someone will phone me and tell me where to take it. At this rate the damn thing is going to run out of insurance before what should be a simple admin job is resolved.

On being asked if it is legal to take it to the inspection without a tax disk, the answer was - “No” :mad:

Well I think I’m going to drive it there anyway and enjoy my day in court arguing the toss if necessary. :realmad:

Blimmin’ madness of bureaucracy. Sounds like a jobs worth taking his/her job to the extreme :rooleyes:

Read instructions a bit, see “100mm hole”

Buy 107mm core drill and whack it through both sides of the cavity wall with a man size SDS drill, RAAAAAAH!

Attempt to fit tumble dryer vent tube kit to the new hole and fail

Read instructions some more and see “Drill hole at least 115mm diameter”

Arse

I HATE Diy jobs, I think I need to Balrog this one for a bit

[QUOTE=MrTFWitt;460263]Read instructions some more and see “Drill hole at least 115mm diameter”

Arse

… I think I need to Balrog this one for a bit[/QUOTE]

:chuckle: Yes, a job that definitely needs looking at and considering for a bit.

Neatest way is going to be to cement the core back in, let settle for a week and go again with a bigger core drill. You’ll never get a round, parallel hole trying to open it up with an attack chisel especially if it’s brick externally.

“attack chisel” :chuckle:

There are two choices at this point

1. Get a 115mm core drill and use it as a powered attack chisel, may require safety goggles and stuff

2. buy a vent kit that fits the hole and drop kick the one that doesnt fit over the hedge

Extra fast.

We decide to re-tile the bathroom. No big deal, worked with ceramic tiles many times.

Anyhow Mandy mixed the mortar for me and I was going to be able to just sit and do some nice design and take a little time.
Someone went and bought super rapid drying MORTAR!!!:furious:

Eleven pieces placed and went to grab a little more out of the bucket.
30 Minutes is all that passed.:realmad:

Oh my! I have a tub of concrete with a hoe! Maybe I can sell it as modern art.

//consults the Balrog DIY manual …

page 345, out of materials subsection2 = go watch telly and claim all shops are closed :lol:

@ Vortex,

And that “someone” who bought the quick setting Mortar would be? . . .

I discovered years ago that DIY projects, if they involved any mechanical or building skills , were things that I should stay away from . . . but about every ten years I forget my lesson and try again . . . and learn the lesson again:

1. When I was a college student, I wanted a big desk to use for my studies. I looked in department stores, but being a “starving student” I couldn’t afford what they were asking for desks. Then I got the bright idea that I could build one myself much cheaper.

So I went out and bought the lumber, the woodworking tools, and a Sunset book on woodworking.

So there I was chiseling out a mortar and tenon joint and I was holding the 2" rail above where I was chiseling . . . hint. I hit a hard spot in the wood and pushed the chisel hard to get out of it. The chisel skipped along the rail and went right into the hand holding the rail . . . severed a nerve and a large blood vessel.

The ER doctor that stitched up my hand said, “There . . . you’ll now have a scar between your “right forefinger and thumb” that will identify you if you ever have a Police rap sheet”.

After the ER charge, the cost of the wood and the tools, I could have gotten about three department store desks for that amount.

Lesson: Stay away from DIY projects.

1. About ten years later I was looking at an old Smith-Corona typewriter (vintage 1920’s) that my father had given to me. I got to thinking (dangerous right there), “I wonder how these things are made?” So I took it apart. They are full of springs and ball bearings. Couldn’t get it back together, so the loose parts went into a paper bag . . . long since lost in multiple moves.

Lesson: Stay away from mechnical stuff.

1. About ten years later, I was looking under the hood of my old 1963 Chevy, and thought, “I wonder how carburetors are made?” There was a fuel line entering the carburetor fastened by a nut and a lock nut. But I didn’t know which was which . . . so I held one with a wrench and tried to turn the other one with another wrench.

I picked the wrong one and twisted the copper tubing fuel line and ruptured it. After the towing bill and the mechanic’s bill, I decided I didn’t want to know anything more about carburetors.

Lesson: Stay away from mechanical stuff.

I now have a kitchen faucet that needs replaced. Do you think I should do it myself?

Yes, definitely - but above all, don’t forget to post how you got on :chuckle:

and include pictures :smiley: