What annoyed me today...

The saga of the missing motherboard continues…

It is still up in Glasgow, they failed to put it on the lorry down to Birmingham… I have been told to expect delivery tomorrow!!! :furious:

Edit… one good thing… they have promised to refund the delivery cost…

In OKC it’s not uncommon to have a freeze in April, yet we’ve been in a serious heat have since then.
No relief is in sight, week after week of triple digit weather.

So thats 31’c ish ?

Its 24’c in Oxford today and we dont have air con, except for a couple of the working cars.

Hopefully your heatwave will conclude with a thunderstorm like we had this evening, two seconds in that rain and you are as wet as its possible to get without drowning

[QUOTE=MrTFWitt;461808]So thats 31’c ish ?

Its 24’c in Oxford today and we dont have air con, except for a couple of the working cars.

Hopefully your heatwave will conclude with a thunderstorm like we had this evening, two seconds in that rain and you are as wet as its possible to get without drowning[/QUOTE]

Try crispy 40’s
Changed to Celsius.

ahhhh, toasty - but we all have crunchers running whatever the weather :wink: :Poke: :Poke:

Digital cameras are currently not on my favourite gadgets list.

I went to show somebody a picture of Matilda on my camera phone and it wasnt there, nor were several others.
It turned out that I had used a proper camera as well and I havent lost any really important photos as there are very similar photos on another device.

However my congratulations to any new parents will be along the lines of “Yes, He/She/They are gorgeous, but before they come home BACK UP YOUR FLAMING CAMERA”
Once the sprogs are home, your free time for tinkering will vanish and the most important photos you could ever take may be lost.

So by a bit of luck and some linux freeware I have a full set of photos now.

A short guide on using linux to recover your phone photos may be published in the near future.

A telephone call trying to sell me a debt solution… Why? I’m ex-directory and they knew my name…

Soon as they said debt solution tuned in to a radio channel on the net, said can you just wait a minute and placed the phone next to the speaker… within a few minutes they hung up!!!

nice day or two with the car :frowning:

radiator picked up a ‘few’ holes c/o small chippings on the road + head gasket blew :sigh:

car’s worth £500, but the repairs = same
methinks its just about to visit the scrapyard in the sky :wink:

Mucking about for half a day with the latest incarnation of a system running reasonably new software and patches but trying to find out why it was so S-L-O-W when nothing was actually happening.
Running programs under the control of lockstat showed what the culprit was.

In short I was dismayed to find that any core system software should have a problem when its log file reaches 2Gb.
This is not 1997 and hasnt been for some time.

I’m not going to name and shame but have decided to sign my root cause analysis findings as “Icarus” and seek to buy some fetching headwear in a shade of scarlet.

oh dear, although log files do appear quite a lot in peoples annoyed threads. I remember once when jHorner didn’t configure logrotate and a set of machines all went offline at about the same time after deployment :lol:

A 3 month old motherboard dying on me :frowning:

PSU connector has badly burnt on a 12V line, but no sign of overheating around the VRMs. :frowning:

Submitted RMA request to Aria but looks like they had already clocked off… and it looks like they no longer stock that motherboard so that cruncher might be down until they get a replacement from Gigabyte… :frowning:

[QUOTE=TheFiend;462691]A 3 month old motherboard dying on me :frowning:

PSU connector has badly burnt on a 12V line, but no sign of overheating around the VRMs. :frowning:

Submitted RMA request to Aria but looks like they had already clocked off… and it looks like they no longer stock that motherboard so that cruncher might be down until they get a replacement from Gigabyte… :([/QUOTE]

do you have a RMA number from them yet, I can give a little hint.

Had no response from the RMA by 15:00 so phones them up… after describing the damage to the board - the burn mark on the ATX12V socket the CSRep started saying it sounded like my PSU had gone faulty thus allowing excess current to flow in the 12V line to the socket and as started muttering something like it wouldn’t be covered if they found the board not to be at fault.

They have issued a RMA number but at the moment I haven’t decided whether or not to RMA it to them…

Shortly afterwards I emailed Gigabyte-UK describing the damage to the mobo and they responded within 5 minutes asking for serial number to see if was still in warranty, and less than 30 minutes later issued an RMA number to me. Gigabyte have about the best RMA turnaround and state a repaired/replacement product will be returned to you within 2 weeks.

The damage to the motherboard looks like a short has occurred in the ATX12V plug/socket itself rather than a surge from the PSU, and the system load prior to it happening was well within the capacity of the PSU. Looking at the underneath of the mobo there is no other signs of thermal damage on the circuit board - if the VRMs were overheating you often see brown marks on the circuit boards. With working on electrical/electronic systems I know by experience some short circuit damage can occur before any circuit protection has had time to react. I personally have experienced an main isolator switch suffer an arc that melted the contacts as it was the circuit was being re-energised without taking out the circuit protection.

I know that if I send the mobo to Gigabyte themselves they will at least test it and repair it if necessary and I will have it back within 2 weeks.

With Aria I don’t know how long it would take - weeks possibly months as they would most likely send it off to Gigabyte. The chances are Aria will try and blame it on a faulty PSU and refuse to honour the warranty, then I would then have to send it to Gigabyte for a repair.

At the time I ordered the mobo I did a bit of research and came across these threads on overclock.net about VRM’s and failures on AMD motherboards and at that time this motherboard was not showing problems… it had been out on the market for 9 months at least. Checked it yesterday and several failures have now been noted. Dodgy batch perhaps?

Have an earlier revision of the same motherboard running with my X6 and it runs great.

If Aria were to say they will replace it with an equivalent product I’m not sure what they would replace it with - they aren’t showing any AMD760G chipset mobos on the website now.

Before I make my decision on whether to use the Aria or Gigabyte RMA could you use your influence and find out if they will honour the warranty. the RMA number they gave me was RMA254765.

The PSU still works and I had the motherboard booting up into BIOS again last night.

In 6 weeks I am getting a nice little bonus so am now starting to think about a Bulldozer upgrade… so I am now thinking about upgrade options… I will see what happens with the RMA then perhaps put the repaired/replaced mobo on ebay when it is returned.

Receiving a call from a potential scammer on my mobile from the following number 01618505451 who simply hung up on me answering the call.
Hate it when I can’t ask for their registered office address and company registration number so I can send them some documents they previously asked for (they haven’t actually asked for such) but didn’t tell me where to send them.
When I get the info I want I simply invoice them for the unsolicited phone call(s) as harassment.

It seems to be from HYC if other site warnings are owt to go by.

Ebayer winning bidders!!!

One who won an auction and is now ignoring requests to pay… And another one who won an auction and paid but has now refused to pay the extra postage to send the item to Eire!!! :furious:

I have a dead playstation…

I bought a “refurbished” one with the ill researched idea that putting the hard drive from the dead one in it would make things work just the way they used to.

It doesnt, thanks a bunch Sony.

So since all that was really at stake was my amassed points on COD MW-2 I started again.

It still took most of today to make iPlayer work again.
:mad:

Why do cars have a built in detector for the most annoying time to throw a hissy fit, such as just before an interview ?

Oil ? I’ll give you oil… But I’m close to giving you a match instead.

Same here. Had to take my cat to the vets, so was late to pick up parts for work. Plugged in the TomTom charger and heard a pop from somewhere. No power point now. Checked the fuses, none blown that I could find :realmad: And I can’t charge up my laptop either which has decided that 49% power remaining is a good point to go into hibernation!!! :furious:

One single word - Management!

first one of 2012

Older motherboards

A work colleague of the wifes has an old(ish) computer that is really slow, I had a look and it’s running XP (sp3) with 512 Ram.
Easily sorted (thinks me) so I ordered 2 gig of DDR2 from crucial, whacked it in the board and hey presto … 1 gig showing in system :eek:

After a bit of google fun & games, it appears it is one of those boards that will only use Low Density memory, the crucial stuff is High Density so ‘apparently’ the mobo chipset etc is only reading half of it :sigh:

Anyway, a quick email off to crucial confirmed the issue is the density of the ram sticks, and they have sent me an RMA number so I can return said memory in exchange for some low density stuff (nice one crucial, this is why I always use them)

Pain in the rear end, hopefully sorted soon, but a nightmare until I found the problem