What are optimised clients ?

Crunch3r has an opt client for Boinc 5.5.0

I thought newest version is 5.4.9??

Downloaded and installed…Rosetta benchies JUMPED…with stock client 2385/4425 with Opt 4276/14002

I can’t get the 5.1.2 Seti app to work with the 5.5.0 Boinc app, any ideas?

I’ve got 5.5.0 Core with the 5.12 App. running alongside 4.11 App.
I have just suspended the 4.11 WUs and the 5.12 application has started without a problem. You did pick up the new app_info.xml (includes entries for 5.12 and 4.11) didn’t you. I will let it run and see if it completes. I do wish you could shift-click in Boinc Manager!

P.S. For the Linux users running Seti 5.12 the app_info.xml has a couple of 5.11s which should be 5.12s. Caught me out this morning.

err no I didn’t, where do I get the xml file from please?

It’s on the same page as the Enhanced Seti clients, here.

well, with Crunch3rs new optimized client, my Rosetta results have tripled given the same CPU time. But I can only get 5.5.0 Opt to work with 5.4.9 Client on one of my machines…the other one keeps getting an error…

The first of the Enhanced Seti WUs has completed under optimised CC 5.5.0 and App. 5.12 - 2 hours 52 minutes (4.11 WUs complete in around 40 minutes). Credit for the Enhanced WUs is running at 170 Sec per CS against 100 Sec per CS for the older WUs on the same PC :frowning:

LOL…loading the wrong opt client…forgot that this system was only an XP, not an A64…lol

There’s now a SIMAP optimised application.

http://eclient.tvn.hu/sim_16.zip

There is now a SZTAKI optimised application.

Akosf has just released a ‘lightly optimised’ Windows application which about halves the processing time of each workunit. See this thread in the SZTAKI forum. Make sure the current application is not running and replace it with the corresponding optimised one, just like for Einstein@home.

The SZTAKI application is now rather more reliable after several recent updates. I hope that the developers will be able to incorporate akosf’s changes into subsequent releases (otherwise frequent updates may be a pain…) See also this thread for any more detailed discussion about this application.

Crunch3r’s site is down and is for the forseeable future. Suuposdely he was accused of cheating on the SETI boards and has now stopped his site ATM and is redirecting it to einstein@home

http://forums.teamphoenixrising.net/showthread.php?t=39485

Leads a bit more into the full story.

DT.

the show must go on, the Master himself is just on this

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/forum_thread.php?id=30886#331923

we have to look and see what is going on…

Regards from Germany
Sir Ulli

can anyone post a link or send me a copy of Crunchers Optimized client for an Athlon XP (not 64 bit)

SSE2 ore SSE3

i think i have only the SSE2 Version here.

regards from Germany
Sir Ulli

We can no longer distribute Crunch3r’s app. as the source no longer exists under GPL that seti used it can no longer be distribute

[those that have it can still use it though]

I found the SSE version

from GPL FAQ on www.gnu.org

If I know someone has a copy of a GPL-covered program, can I demand he give me a copy?
No. The GPL gives him permission to make and redistribute copies of the program if he chooses to do so. He also has the right not to redistribute the program, if that is what he chooses
emphasis mine

Can the developer of a program who distributed it under the GPL later license it to another party for exclusive use?
No, because the public already has the right to use the program under the GPL, and this right cannot be withdrawn.
This isnt exactly what happened, but it seems close enough to…basically the right of the public to use/distribute cannot be withdrawn.
It seems that Crunch3r can not ask us not to use/distribute, as the public, under GPL already has the right to use it. Im not a lawyer, so my reading of it may be wrong, but it seems that if it was published under GPL, then the Public can use and distribute it as they wish.

That would be my reading of it too. Even if it isn’t correct (and I’m now lawyer either), it is a very grey area that could be debated for a very long time, for a very large fee :rolleyes:

Anyway, glad you found what you needed.

The reason your wrong is your missing another requirement.

to quote Eric Korpela’s summary

[

](Official SETI@home position on optimized clients and the GPL.)

It is not the Cruch3r says not to redistribute that stopping the redistributing, it’s the fact you can not provide, or point to a place that can the source on request. as the source no longer exist you can’t provide that

It is precisely these contradictions (alegedly being in the public domain, but at the same time probably not in the public domain) that make me want to re-train as a copyright lawyer :wink: