Windows 10 is here!

Cheers Mackerel. I’ll go and have a pl;ay with it. :slight_smile:

At my work they are in the middle of a mass migration from Windows XP to Windows 7… it’s complete chaos!!! :crash:

How long did they wait??? Pretty much all systems where I work are Win7 now. I don’t know if there’s any Win10 test boxes around, but I do have in my care an XP laptop I saved from recycling “for testing purposes”. There is the obligatory Mac for marketing to drool over.

Today is the first routine Windows Update monthly day and it isn’t looking that great. One system updated by itself ok. It is Win10 home set to ask me when to reboot, but the default was 3:30am. Not good as I’m in the middle of a Primegrid challenge so I just quickly did a manual restart. I think I need further research in how to force manual updates only on my crunchers.

Edit: one workaround appears to be to disable the Windows Update service. Turn it back on when you actually do want to update. I’ve just set that up on 3 systems. Another is apparently to tell Windows the network connection is metered which will prevent it downloading. I haven’t tried that (yet).

[QUOTE=mackerel;467266]How long did they wait??? Pretty much all systems where I work are Win7 now.
[/QUOTE]

Basically it is due to the size and nature of the company I work for. One of the reasons is due to the whole logistics of switching the site intranet as well as the software applications over for a company with 10K+ employees and agency workers. Also because of the nature of the industry I work in security is a huge concern.

On top of the switch to Win 7 they have also brought in an Online People Management System to combine bring together several functions that were previously done by seperate applications… Hence the chaos… According to the OPMS system I have 10 days less leave than I should have, but it’s not an isolated case it’s common across the whole shift teams!!!

10 is very stable and well MS is working to make sure the roll out isn’t a Windows ME/Vista & Windows 8 nightmare. I have of my ten station updated 2 so far and will wait on automatic updates to roll the rest over. So far everything is working and only one drive burp on something very old.

The first issue has reared its ugly head. Since the upgrade, emailed Excel attachments when downloaded are showing as not able to be opened in Excel 2013 as they are corrupted. Same if you save the document to your desktop and then try and open it. They are not corrupt at all, as they quite happily open in Open Office Calc and when you save them from O_O without making any change whatsoever, they are opened quite happily in Excel with no change being made to the original in style or formatting.

Not a major issue but very irritating as I receive a lot of attachments and it is a pain having to go through this process every time just to open them. The emails are coming from Outlook Web App, via Firefox and have never had an issue before the upgrade, so I don’t know why this has suddenly started.

Haven’t had a chance to Google this issue, but anyone else had this at all?

I’ve tried about 18 times to upgrade my main box from W7H to W10, and failed each and everytime. Tried all the forums and all the tweaks suggested, but still fails at the apply_image operation (gets to about 11% applying and reboots), and the reverts to w7.

Overly naffed off with it atm!

[QUOTE=Droid;467271]The first issue has reared its ugly head. Since the upgrade, emailed Excel attachments when downloaded are showing as not able to be opened in Excel 2013 as they are corrupted. Same if you save the document to your desktop and then try and open it. They are not corrupt at all, as they quite happily open in Open Office Calc and when you save them from O_O without making any change whatsoever, they are opened quite happily in Excel with no change being made to the original in style or formatting.

Not a major issue but very irritating as I receive a lot of attachments and it is a pain having to go through this process every time just to open them. The emails are coming from Outlook Web App, via Firefox and have never had an issue before the upgrade, so I don’t know why this has suddenly started.

Haven’t had a chance to Google this issue, but anyone else had this at all?[/QUOTE]

Just out of curiosity, if you email an Excel spreadsheet as an attachment, and also email the same spreadsheet zipped, when you save both to your PC (having extracted the one from the zip), are they identical file sizes byte for byte?

Not tried that Egad as the files are mostly in one direction, inbound. I’ll give it a go over the weekend to see what occurs.

Think I found a minor glitch too. My HP laptop (which came with Win8 originally) now sometimes locks up after I power up and enter my password. I’m not sure if Win10 is the cause, or if perhaps it is related to me switching over to a SSD just before upgrading. Remember both Win8 and Win10 don’t normally do a full shutdown, but a hibernate state (user data is unloaded, system data is saved). So there may be some problem recovering from that. I guess I could disable that mode and see if a full boot is 100% successful, but it does give super quick boot times (seconds) when it works.

@droid I believe your issue is with the trust center had this at work opening a doc from an internet source is blocked
so fiddling in … Options > Trust Center > Trust Center Settings > Protected View should give a solution.

@Mac. I have found an issue with Intels RST drivers I have had to turn of any caching to do with write to disk and just have read only caching it caused me no end of lock ups until i turned write caches off.

Yes I agree m8. Had a test with the lappy which had Office 2013 installed with 7 and it seems that the trust centre settings have changed. Altered Excel as a test and after rebooting it now seems fine, but the fault stays the same in Word which I left alone. Thanks for that. :slight_smile: Why Office would change with the Win10 install I don’t know, but I guess it’s a global security setting change as part of the install.

@pmm I almost went to check the laptop before realising it was an AMD APU model, so at least we know that isn’t Intel RST related. Unless they have the same problem elsewhere?

Have taken the plunge and updated one of my crunchers to WIN10… Chose to do it the upgrade way rather than a clean install and the only problem encountered was having to re-install the GPU drivers. Will se how I get on with it before I update any more of my systems…

The biggest thing to watch out for on a cruncher is the auto-restart after auto-update. My work around is to disable the WU service unless you actually are wanting to manually update.

Opps… opened my mouth too soon… the cruncher I installed it on is an A10-6800K/Asus A88XM-Plus on which I have 2 R7-250 GPU’s crunching POEM. I stopped running POEM on the APU so set up the cc_config file so it only ran on the R7-250s… well, the upgrade to 10 managed to swap around the device numbers so POEM was running on 1 R7-250 and the APU!!! :frowning:

Luckily i have spotted it quite quickly, and after a quick edit things are back running how I want them!!!

Originally posted on Facebook, but Win10 did a number on me last weekend:

Frikkin’ Windows 10 pi$$ing me off today. Wanted to play Elite Dangerous, but Win 10 decided it needed to update itself. “Fair enough” I thought, so I carried on working on my business PC while it did and thought it seemed to have gone quiet after rebooting itself. Switched to the Win 10 machine to find a lovely helpful message, saying “No boot devices found”

Thinking the hard drive might have failed, diagnostics said no. Win 10 update decided to f*** up the master boot record. No way to repair it easily, so as it was a free upgrade from Win 7 I thought I’d run a Win 7 installation and use the repair option. Could I find the disk? Could I hell :frowning: Eventually found a disk and ran it, crossed my fingers and rebooted and Win 10 finally lost it’s amnesia, realised it was still there and repaired itself. Took a time, but I’m all back and playing. Be warned, Win 10 will mess you around sometimes

A bit of a worry and I’m very wary of installing Win10 updates on the gaming rig. Some have installed, but only minor ones and so far so good. :xfinger: