A Lazy Sunday Afternoon

… spent sitting out in the garden, enjoying the weather, drink (well about 6 :slight_smile: ) in hand … and re-reading Terry Pratchett - Feet Of Clay

:drink: :reading: :haha:

Wife wonders how reading a book all afternoon can make me contented … the poor soul has/will never read anything by this gifted writer. To be honest I don’t think she can get her head around the particular style of writing :confused:

Gotta go to bed now … 6 - 2 in the morning :frowning: , maybe this may open up into a literary discussion ?? … fave books/authors ??

Originally posted by wolram
… fave books/authors ??

[ul][li]Bret Easton-Ellis - American Psycho
[/li][*]Chuck Palahniuk - Fight Club[/ul]

What are Terry Pratchett’s books about then :confused: Everyone says he’s good (well except your missus wolram :stuck_out_tongue: ) but I’ve never read one of his books - what am I missing?

I’ve never read a Pratchett either but I’m poised to change that.

A copy of The Wee Free Men is close at hand but I dont want to dive in if there are books to be read before this one.

Micheal Criteon?- Time Line

Spelling might be wrong

Originally posted by AGD
Micheal Criteon?- Time Line

That’s a wicked book (Crighton btw).

It was one of my book recommentations in this thread:

http://forums.teamphoenixrising.net/showthread.php?threadid=14857

There’s a movie coming out in November.

www.thetimelinemovie.com

Matt. :slight_smile:

there is a movie coming out in November

Can’t wait:)

Originally posted by Mincer
That’s a wicked book (Crighton btw).

Actually it’s Crichton :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

I might have to check that book out, sounds good :slight_smile:

Originally posted by dirtydog
[B]Actually it’s Crichton :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

I might have to check that book out, sounds good :slight_smile: [/B]

/me considers abusing admin powers (no relation to Austin) in order to cover up mistakes…

:stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

[B]/me considers abusing admin powers (no relation to Austin) in order to cover up mistakes…

:stuck_out_tongue: :smiley: [/B]

[hand bags] wwwwwwwwww get her [/hand bags]

Saucer of milk table three meeeoooowwww

:smiley: :moon:

[B]/me considers abusing admin powers (no relation to Austin) in order to cover up mistakes…

:stuck_out_tongue: :smiley: [/B]

You going to ban Ciccio then or will he be spared your new found correctional fetish ?

Originally posted by MrTFWitt
You going to ban Ciccio then or will he be spared your new found correctional fetish ?

:confused:

Originally posted by dirtydog
What are Terry Pratchett’s books about then :confused: Everyone says he’s good (well except your missus wolram :stuck_out_tongue: ) but I’ve never read one of his books - what am I missing?

hmmm a hard one this (mincer) … think of a cooking pot containing Lord Of The Rings, add a few choice cuts of Red Dwarf, 3 slices of Blackadder, at least a quarter of A Hitchikers Guide To The Galaxy, :slight_smile: stir well and allow to simmer for 2 months, then sprinkle with TPR and serve on a platter of sarcastic wit :smiley:

… in real terms, most are about life and events on “Discworld” , a world shaped like a disc (ha !) which is supported by 4 large elephants that stand upon the back of a giant turtle as it swims across the universe … erm … anyway, it’s inhabited by humans, dwarfs, trolls, werewolves,vampires … anything you can imagine (and some you can’t), that all co-exist in a state of magical mysterious mayhem and merriment, with just a hint of romance (well… I think I recall someone once kissing someone else). Most of the plots/sub-plots seem to echo a lot of todays reallity, but with a humerous twist … if your humour is warped enough you should love em. I think the first I ever read was Reaper Man.

… a few quotes from a couple of books :slight_smile:

The Ramkins were more highly bred than a hilltop bakery, whereas Corporal Nobbs had been disqualified from the human race for shoving.
– (Terry Pratchett, Men At Arms)

The river Ankh is probably the only river in the universe on which the investigators can chalk the outline of the corpse.
– (Terry Pratchett, Men At Arms)

It is said that whosoever the gods wish to destroy, they first make mad. In fact, whosoever the gods wish to destroy, they first hand the equivalent of a stick with a fizzing fuse and Acme Dynamite Company written on the side. It’s more interesting, and doesn’t take so long.
– (Terry Pratchett, Soul Music)

There was a roar like the scream of a camel who has just seen two bricks.
– (Terry Pratchett, Soul Music)

There was a polite beeping from the Thing. “You may be interested to know,” it said, “that we’ve broken the sound barrier.” Masklin turned wearily to the others. “All right, own up. Who broke it?”
– (Terry Pratchett, Wings)

Of course, Ankh-Morpork’s citizens had always claimed that the river water was incredibly pure. Any water that had passed through so many kidneys, they reasoned, had to be very pure indeed.
– (Terry Pratchett, Sourcery)

Only one creature could have duplicated the expressions on their faces, and that would be a pigeon who has heard not only that Lord Nelson has got down off his column but has also been seen buying a 12-bore repeater and a box of cartridges.
– (Terry Pratchett, Mort)

“There must be a hundred silver dollars in here,” moaned Boggis, waving a purse. “I mean, that’s not my league. That’s not my class. I can’t handle that sort of money. You’ve got to be in the Guild of Lawyers or something to steal that much.”
– (Terry Pratchett, Wyrd Sisters)

Interesting :smiley: I haven’t even read Lord of the Rings actually :eek: Everyone talks about LOTR and I haven’t got a clue what they’re going on about :uhh:

OK mate, substitute Lord of the Rings for anything concerning elves,goblins etc :lol: