Anyone know about home building alterations?

Aloha! :slight_smile:

Firstly, a HUGE hello to everyone. :wave: Sorry I don’t spend as much time here as I used to.

Does anyone know what steps we would have to take to get an internal wall moved at home?

We know that the wall is just a partition, but it can damage the resale of the property if these things aren’t done properly.

Who has to certify (and what documentation do they have to provide) that it isn’t a supporting wall?

Do we have to get architects plans done to be put in the council planning office file for our building?

Can anyone tell me for definanate what steps we have to take?

Your best bet to get things done right would be to ring you council planning office, may as well get it fromt he horses mouth. :slight_smile:

Nice to see you around and remeber there is always a bar stool waiting for you in the cantina :smiley:

Its a no-no if its a leasehold property.
First step is to get written quotes from a couple of local builders, best way to find them is walk round the neighbour hood and look for a skip and a van outside a house. Once both have gone ask the householder if their work was any good and get a number.

If the place is huge once you have moved all the internal walls can we have the next Mojo’s at your place ?

Are you certain that it is not load bearing or tying the outer walls in at all. When you say partition do you mean a stud wall.

If so then you should need no permission or documentation at all. Obviously the job must be done to a good standard as with any building works.

Do like me, just knock it down and see if the roof falls in! :wink:

WB Mincer and thanks for providing this opportunity for Balrog to step up to the oche at the slacker’s school of DIY (and no I still haven’t plastered the plasma hole or papered the hall - or ripped off the skirting - or … :shrug: )
Long on theory - short on implementation. :smiley:

Unfortunately the sort of jobbing builder appropriate to this sort of job at reasonable cost is unlikely to carry certification or guild membership. At the end of the day if you want the full QA certification you will have to pay a surveyor to come and look and write you a simple letter but come to your own conclusion first. A wall can be load bearing for one of two reasons - There’s another wall directly above or the floor joists from the next storey bear on it. (or roof trusses)

Providing the house is a conventionally brick/block constructed UK style jobbie

  1. A stud (wood and plasterboard) wall is almost never load bearing.
  2. If its brick or block - what’s directly above it
    a) Nothing - its not load bearing (but see 4 below)
    b) A brick wall - it’s load bearing
    c) A Stud Wall - its probably not load bearing
  3. If the plasterboard of the ceiling runs continuously over the top of the wall - it’s not load bearing. The wall was put up after the ceiling.
  4. Do the floor joists above bear on it- what’s their span from each end. Do they need the mid span support of this wall.

Generally have a look at the load path from the roof down through the building to the wall in question - is there anything relying on it for support.

Cheers guys.

I’m 99.9% certain that it’s a non loadbearing wall. It’s a stud wall that 's only 3" thick, and when you tap it there isn’t any point across it’s width that sounds solid (such that there could be a supporting girder somewhere inside the plasterboard).

The issue we have, is that we may want to sell the flat in the next couple of years, so we don’t want to have any problems with the floorplan not matching the architect drawings held by the council.


Come to Mojo’s , we’ll talk about it… :smiley:

Mind you , after a few beers you prolly wont care about the wall.

Come on, you know you want to go, it’d be fun having you there again.

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:


ps. please post lame excuse below…

Typical American strategy…

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: