app_info help (again!)

So, I’m doing a bit of dockign at the moment but have just got a GTX260-216 and given that docking doesnt do CUDA yet is there a way I can run Seti on the gfx card and docking on the CPU?

You don’t even need an app_info.xml to do that unless you want a VLAR-killer. Just set your preferences to not use the CPU on the web site. You might want to untick the Astropulse work, but it shouldn’t download those if CPU work is unticked.

hrm

16/05/2009 22:22:53|SETI@home|Message from server: Can’t use CUDA app for SETI@home Enhanced: Your computer has no CUDA device

/confused

Lastest Nvidia driver?

Have you got the latest Nvidia CUDA enabled driver installed ?? I’m not sure that the Windows supplied one does . try here

Yup

Latest WHQL driver available 185.85

googling isn’t much help, but i’ve got boinc installed as a service and i’ve read some stuffs that suggests that cuda wont work like this?

[QUOTE=Spesh;439257]Latest WHQL driver available 185.85

googling isn’t much help, but i’ve got boinc installed as a service and i’ve read some stuffs that suggests that cuda wont work like this?[/QUOTE]

Correct. CUDA will not work with a service install.

Yup taken from the CUDA FAQ

Q) I have an NVIDIA graphics card, the current NVIDIA driver, and the latest version of BOINC, but I don’t get the CUDA version of SETI@home. What’s wrong?

Your graphics card may not be capable of supporting CUDA, or it may not have enough memory (256MB is required). You can find a list of CUDA compatible GPUs at nvidia.com.

Check to make sure BOINC isn't installed with the Protected Application Execution option. This option is incompatible with CUDA.

If you think your graphics card meets these requirements, and you need further assistance, please post in the CUDA section of our help forums.

Also note that a graphics card with the stated minimum 256 MB of memory will fail 999 times out of 1000 due to the overhead imposed by the operating system. Have at least 512 MB to get acceptable performance.

896 on the card so should be good

So just reinstall boinc without being a service… sounds simple but everytime i reinstall boinc I nuke current work and units, anyway around this?

Excuse the questions! :smiley:

Mark

[QUOTE=Spesh;439264]896 on the card so should be good

So just reinstall boinc without being a service… sounds simple but everytime i reinstall boinc I nuke current work and units, anyway around this?

Excuse the questions! :D[/QUOTE]

A reinstallation should be nondestructive. Yours obviously isn’t. So… what OS? what old version of BOINC? what new version of BOINC? Are you using optimized apps?

If in doubt, backup the data file for Boinc. Blow Boinc away, reboot reinstall and then copy the data file back and you should be good to go.

Right, reinstalled and its downloaded cuda app (is there an optimised?) and some work units ok. But… its just running docking?

Is there a way to run docking cpu and seti gpu always?

[QUOTE=Spesh;439549]Right, reinstalled and its downloaded cuda app (is there an optimised?) and some work units ok. But… its just running docking?

Is there a way to run docking cpu and seti gpu always?[/QUOTE]

Have a look at the BOINC manager settings - Advanced/Preferences , tick the 'Use GPU while computer in use ’ box

awesome thanks :slight_smile: