BOINC Update

We’re suspending the beta test for a day or so
while we move the server to a new machine.
When this is done, we’ll be releasing a new client version
with (we hope) many bugs fixed.

– David

this Mail came from David Anderson over the Mailinglist

regards
Sir Ulli

Boinc should not be called a BETA test. It is really an ALPHA version of this program. I have yet to get it to run for 24 hours without fizzling out. Results fail to upload, it runs for hours doing nothing, it stops in the middle of a work package requiring total removal of the program and data to fix…

Unless they find some money to fix the programs, don’t expect SETI I to end anytime soon.

:cheers: Sir Ulli, let me know and I’ll update my page.

Originally posted by richardlellisjr
[B]Boinc should not be called a BETA test. It is really an ALPHA version of this program. I have yet to get it to run for 24 hours without fizzling out. Results fail to upload, it runs for hours doing nothing, it stops in the middle of a work package requiring total removal of the program and data to fix…

Unless they find some money to fix the programs, don’t expect SETI I to end anytime soon. [/B]

yes you are right, but the people at Borkeley are working hard, so give the new Version a Chance.

regards
Sir Ulli

(the problem i thougt, is the WU Size, at BOINC Astropulse, with his 8 MB WUs, which are going to 1MB Size.)

The problem is the programming is being done by graduate students for little or nothing who move on when their courses end not when the job is completed.

[B]Boinc should not be called a BETA test. It is really an ALPHA version of this program. I have yet to get it to run for 24 hours without fizzling out. Results fail to upload, it runs for hours doing nothing, it stops in the middle of a work package requiring total removal of the program and data to fix…

Unless they find some money to fix the programs, don’t expect SETI I to end anytime soon. [/B]

Excellent, this means we can all carry on running SETI 1 for ages :smiley:

I might even be able to try running SETI 1 on Intel Prescott when I buy that at the end of the year! :slight_smile:

What’s a Prescott. :confused:

A fat slob politician?

Friendly Link (me being generous, providing you with a free service)
Nasty Link (me telling you that you should know better :stuck_out_tongue: )

I might even wait until “Intel Tejas”, but I doubt very much if SETI 1 will be still running then (H2 2004). :frowning:

Short form of pressed Scott. If you heard a terrible cry they just made another one :wink:

i hope seti 2 flops and they stay with the way it is :stuck_out_tongue:

Originally posted by LUC1FER
i hope seti 2 flops and they stay with the way it is :stuck_out_tongue:

I couldn’t agree more :slight_smile:

It’s just that the southern hemisphere search is collecting new types of data alongside the standard data. Hence a new client is needed. At least that is what I have gathered.

and another update,
the new Side is ready, and the new Client BOINC 1.04 is out

not here

http://setiboinc.ssl.berkeley.edu/ap/index.php

but here

http://setiboinc.ssl.berkeley.edu/ap/download/

the new Client has only on Problem

“No Schedulers responded”

i hope that they fix this soon.

regards
Sir Ulli

:cheers: bud, I won’t bother with a page update for this.
Just need more info really.

Originally posted by barcode
A fat slob politician?

Nick named 2 Jags as he has one for him and one for his missus.

it worked for me

just download the last client 1.04 from here

http://setiboinc.ssl.berkeley.edu/ap/download/

the other one that i postet was a debugging version

and that is the URL for the Astropule Beta Account use this

http://maggie.ssl.berkeley.edu/ap/

regards
Sir Ulli

it is working, but when you have an Athlon XP there is a big bug, you must edit the sched_request.xml& and client_state.xml? and look for this entry

<p_fpops>-xxx24908.212560 to
<p_fpops>xxx424908.212560

with this - you get an negative Value, and the programm are getting endless Wus.

the bug is mailed to Borkeley.

regards
Sir Ulliii

Thanks for your posts on this Sir Uli. I’ve finally got it working after a few attempts. Just running it for experience ATM on a cellery 500 though, whilst my other machines work towards my target of 10K.

only for Info

the BOINC Client 1.04 is working Very good, first Impressions from me

one WUs at P4 2.8 10 Hours per WU, so whit this Proz you get at this time 2 WUs

Athlon XP at 11.5 x 200 7 Hours per WU.

regards
Sir Ulli

Personally, I’m still liking seti 1. I’d just prefer to keep going with it. Are they going do phase out seti 1 when BOINC is ready to go?