Brace for hacker contest...

Internet security experts have warned of the possibility of a wave of cyberattacks this weekend.

Washington - Internet security experts warned of the possibility of a wave of cyberattacks this weekend in a hacker contest that could lead to the disruption of many computer networks.

The so-called “Defacer’s Challenge,” scheduled for Sunday, aims to deface up to 6 000 websites over the course of six hours, according to security experts.

“While there is no guarantee that this event will actually take place, the possibility is reason enough to verify your security and patch readiness,” Counterpane Internet Security said in a message to clients.

“In light of this upcoming activity, it is doubly important to verify that all production and mission-critical servers have the latest vendor-approved security patches and that firewall rules and access lists are in place and properly formatted.”

Another firm, Internet Security Systems (ISS), made a similar announcement and raised its warning level to 2 on a scale of 1-4, suggesting increased vigilance.

ISS analysts “are in the process of monitoring the hacking challenge in order to determine the effect the competition may have on the Internet,” the company said.

“We strongly encourage system administrators to review their current security policies and ensure that all current and known security issues have been addressed.”

and now, thanks to that article, expect increased internet traffic as JoeBlogs tries to find the defaced websites.
Nice find though Juggy, many thanks for the headsup :nod:

DT.

/ok so JoeBlogs is me really !!!

Thanks for the Heads up on that, having had my site defaced
and published on a hackers show off site I think I’ll be keeping
an close eye on mine, though I fixed a lot of the security holes
ya never know.

/Anyone running running PHPbb <2.03 make sure you update your
site think current build is now 2.05.

Thanks for the heads up, juggs.

Originally posted by PMM
/Anyone running running PHPbb <2.03 make sure you update your site think current build is now 2.05.

Barcode’s site is running 2.03, maybe we should give him a poke. There were loads of hole patches between 2.03 and 2.04.

Trouble with upgrading phpbb is that I have 20+ mods installed so the upgrade program creates just as much work for me as a fresh install of the bb then adding all the mods again.

Originally posted by Spacey
[B]Barcode’s site is running 2.03, maybe we should give him a poke. There were loads of hole patches between 2.03 and 2.04.

Trouble with upgrading phpbb is that I have 20+ mods installed so the upgrade program creates just as much work for me as a fresh install of the bb then adding all the mods again. [/B]

All done :wink: thanks.

This is the site I found my defacement on, seems they hold a
large database of sites hacked and who hacked them…

Look in the attack archive

http://www.zone-h.org/en/news/read/id=2986/

@All, no probs guys, my girlfriend actually forwarded the article to me. Aint I lucky to have a woman that’s interested in the same things I am.

She’s a Solutions Architect for the same company I work for http://www.is.co.za

Has anyone seen any defaced sites yet today? I notice that zone-h has gone down.

Seems they suffering a ddos attack :lol:

Still down for me…

I thought that zone-h was a security site and not pro-script kiddie as such? I might be wrong though…

I think there are pro hacking but don’t admit, The defacers challenge use Zone-h for sending there submissions of hacked
sites for all to see, how ever looks likes the packet kiddies are
boycotting the defacers challange by ddos’ing zone-h

Yeah I see what you mean mate.

Zone-h gives me a “DB connection failed ().”, so perhaps they shot themselves in the foot and someone managed to deface their site… :slight_smile:

I think the site might be in the process of getting hacked. The DDOS is merely a cover for their operations. That’s my theory anyway.

Does have one advantage…

The hackers don’t have access to previous hacked sites stored
in the archeives of Zone-h, it would be logical to go through that
list and do a redefacement of poor protected site done allready.

FYI - http://www.securityfocus.net/news/6297

More Info: http://defacers-challenge.com/

Zone-h is up

The BBC News on-line has a story in the aftermath of the event Here

Have to agree with the BBC, total anticlimax