Broxhead Common 4x4

Well, that was a very very very enjoyable day, as always. This new (ish) hobby is simply so much fun :smiley:

I’m just about to start uploading pictures, and hopefully others will have pcitures of me going through some obstacles.

I have to say that the Insa Turbo Dakar tyres I had fitted last week made a HOOOOGE difference to off-road, on road they are noisy, but you can’t hear them if you turn up the stereo to take advantage of the new 800w subwoofer (in pink:lol: ) that I fitted yesterday.

The last go round the track, we kinda went for it to get stuck, trying all the bits we had avoided during the rest of the day. We didn’t manage to get to the point of needing recovery, but did make some very large holes with spinning wheels. We also noticed a tyre-rubbing on the last go round as well, that I put down to the new tyres being slightly larger on pure depth of tread. It didn’t quite add up though as they were the same size as the road tyres, so figured droopy springs. But logic told me springs don’t go droop in one afternoon. Anyway, checking over the car, definately found what has been causing the speedbump knocking noise, and the rubbing.

The top of the shock absorber is errrm, broken :chuckle: I’ll upload some pictures in a bit :lol:

A great day, and another thing to fix :smiley:

DT.

Oops :slight_smile:

DT.

I don’t think thats supposed to be like that :chuckle:

Hmm had you been playing to the extent of the suspension travel ? might require uprated longer shocks.

I can’t remember if those caps are just plug ons i.e. just a very tight fit enough to withstand standard uncompress i.e. when e.g. you hit a pot hole and it drops… does look like it from the picture though.

You might get away with jacking … aligning… dropping and letting the weight of the vechicle re-insert pole to cap.

Oh yes :chuckle:

supposed to be a welded top - whoops

tried that, shock is stuck. Twenty odd quid for a cheap replacement pair, the springs seem ok but going to look at a load of different options

Worth the effort though for a great day.

DT.

Go for something halfway decent - not TerraFirma or something extreme, but maybe a Bilstein (SP?) or somesuch, standard ones are not much good off road.

I think it’s likely I’ll get the Monroe Adventure, mainly because the local parts place has them off the shelf at a half decent price. Not as good as Paddocks price wise, but I wouldn’t mind the motor being back on the road.

Having a ponder - at least I kept my numberplate this time :wink:

DT.

two new bright yellow rear shock absorbers fitted, monroe adventure4x4. To add to the mix, the rear spring on the passenger side had also popped out, so I drove home with no rear shock and a spring only half in :eek: That need some ‘different’ method of articulating the truck. Thanks to a deep camber on my road, a wheel ramp, a bottle jack and a scaffolding plank I was able to lift the body enough to get the spring back in.

Both rear shocks were completely shot, neither of them pushed back when I took them off. I think a new complete set of springs and shocks all round is going to get done … slowly as and when the imaginary 4x4 fund can afford it :lol:

DT.

just went out on a little pleasure jaunt down some of the bumpier country roads and a ford :splashysplashy:
Handling is ermmm interesting, a back end that is solid, firm and providing a ton of grip. A front end that is a little Tigger bounce. Two new on the front on next months shopping list then, then once I’ve done those I’ll get the tracking checked.

DT.

[QUOTE=DoubleTop;429299]two new bright yellow rear shock absorbers fitted, monroe adventure4x4. To add to the mix, the rear spring on the passenger side had also popped out, so I drove home with no rear shock and a spring only half in :eek: That need some ‘different’ method of articulating the truck. Thanks to a deep camber on my road, a wheel ramp, a bottle jack and a scaffolding plank I was able to lift the body enough to get the spring back in.

Both rear shocks were completely shot, neither of them pushed back when I took them off. I think a new complete set of springs and shocks all round is going to get done … slowly as and when the imaginary 4x4 fund can afford it :lol:

DT.[/QUOTE]

Not uncommon on a vehicle this age - welcome to the wonderful wobbly 4x4 club. I have one down alternator/power steering/water pump belt, and one with no throttle cable. Wouldn’t swap either :slight_smile: