Can you keep a car on your drive uninsured ?

Per Title

I know you can’t keep it on a public road uninsured but are you allowed to keep it on your drive uninsured ?

yup, just SORN it afaik :slight_smile:

Technically you can keep it on the road uninsured but it’s really not worth the hassle. Keeping it on the drive is fine though, and sorn is only needed if it’s not taxed.

Yep, on your own property it doesnt have to be insured but bear in mind it can still get stolen even if it doesnt work.

There is a cheaper option of laid up cover insurance but most of these require the car to be garaged, if you can garage it and switch to laid up cover it might also preserve your no-claims discount which shouldnt be forgotten.

As for the issue of being on the road uninsured, the legal speak says

It is an offence to use (or permit to be used) a motor vehicle on a road or public place when there is not in force a relation to the use of the vehicle such a policy of insurance in respect of third party risks as complies with the Road Traffic Act.
(Road Traffic Act 1988 s143 (C2)

Note “use” not “drive”
If you sit in it on a rainy day, does that constitute use ?

If you surrender the tax, SORN is essential or they just write to you in three months and ask for three months road tax.
Found this out the hard way when buying a car on SORN as SORN is cancelled with change of owner.

Thanks everyone :slight_smile:

Not an issue now should have a working car by the weekend

Though its costing an arm and a leg but not much more than what Alfa main dealer wanted anyway to do the Belt changes on the next service and replacement of variator.

Just valve damage pistons fine so its costing me £500 more than what Alfa wanted to tap me for anyway on the next service which funnily was 58 miles past… one could think its programmed in lol.

[QUOTE=PMM;455754]Per Title

I know you can’t keep it on a public road uninsured but are you allowed to keep it on your drive uninsured ?[/QUOTE]

As of next month the answer to that is no, and there is a £100 fine for doing so, its not a tax of course, its a fine.

So even if its taxed and on private property you will get a fine unless you SORN it.

Full story here.