Cost of SETI ??

Anyone know how I can figure what my small seti farm is costing me in electric charges each month?:confused:
Thanks,
Steve B.

yeah we had some threads running around last year.

The real deal is how much juice the PSU is drawing. Most machines not running much disk I/O draw about 100-150 watts with no monitor turned on. I can confirm this draw rate because about 8 machines on a 15 amp/110 volt line is about the limit. Amps X volts = watts so this line has about 1650 watts available. 8 machines @ 150wats = 1200 watts Add a bit for network gear and other phantom loads and you are at 1600 watts pretty quick. At my desert location the breakers become a bit sensitive at 45C external temps so my loading needs to be a bit less this time of year.

So a typical PC draws about 0.15 kilowats per hour X 24 hours = 3.6 kilowatt hrs per day. Assume a $0.10 per kilowat/hr cost then about $0.36 a day. Run 10 machines and it is $3.60 a day. My situation is abit more complicated in that the electric costs vary by the time of day. 9AM til 9PM Monday thru Friday costs $0.14 a kilowatt hour and $0.04 the rest of the time.

None of that takes into account and cooling cost you may incure. In my case it must be at least a consideration and a significant cost.

Thank you for the great explination. My cost is about 10.00 per month. Not as much as I was thinking it might be. Thanks again for the detailed answer.
Steve B.

South Florida I see.

Cooling is probably your number one cost. But there is a side benefit. The biggest problem in your place is humidity, not heat. As your computers generate heat your air conditioner must run longer to remove it. As it does it removes more moisture at the same time.

Originally posted by Noahm3
This may help. Itā€™s my new ā€œw00tā€™s for moneyā€ program.
Thatā€™s right, for the introductory rate of 0.25 cents per w00t

I wonder if Noah would loose money if he sold woots. :confused:

Originally posted by richardlellisjr
I wonder if Noah would loose money if he sold woots. :confused:

maybe ā€¦ but with the amount he is crunching, it wouldnā€™t bankrupt him :lol:

Originally posted by SJ761
Anyone know how I can figure what my small seti farm is costing me in electric charges each month?:confused:
Thanks,
Steve B.

more than I would care to find out :uhh: :chin:

Its about Ā£6/mth for 1PC running 24/7 here in the UK

Havenā€™t worked out the electricity bill, but with 3 PCā€™s running in the study at home, the temp was 33 degs at 9pm last night!

Originally posted by Assimilator1

Holy crap - is that really true??? So roughly I spend about Ā£30 a month for leccy for the pcā€™s? add then the net access and the extra leccy cost of the desk fans and OMG :eek:

Best keep that one quiet from the missusā€¦

DT.

My pc takes about 2.7 Kwh per day (=4h active computing, 20h with TFT off), dunno what it really costs meā€¦
Thatā€™s with a PSU of 300W and a P4 3.0Ghz

MAOJC, 3.6Kwh seems alot to me, perhaps my measurement tool (=old electrical meter) isnā€™t calibrated after all :confused:

Originally posted by Mr_Sobre
[B]My pc takes about 2.7 Kwh per day (=4h active computing, 20h with TFT off), dunno what it really costs meā€¦
Thatā€™s with a PSU of 300W and a P4 3.0Ghz

MAOJC, 3.6Kwh seems alot to me, perhaps my measurement tool (=old electrical meter) isnā€™t calibrated after all :confused: [/B]

Well that sounds like about 110W draw. My calculation is is assuming 150 watts. It is possible your meter is correct.

Originally posted by DoubleTop
[B]Holy crap - is that really true??? So roughly I spend about Ā£30 a month for leccy for the pcā€™s? add then the net access and the extra leccy cost of the desk fans and OMG :eek:

Best keep that one quiet from the missusā€¦

DT. [/B]

lol ,yeah & that was calculated using electricity costs from mid 2001 so it may even be a bit higher now! ,that reminds me I must recalculate itā€¦

Re your net costs ,if your on a flat rate then you would of had that even if you didnā€™t do SETI :wink:

Originally posted by MAOJC
Well that sounds like about 110W draw. My calculation is is assuming 150 watts. It is possible your meter is correct.

I have a machine that draws 700-710w. :eek: Needless to say, I donā€™t run this 24/7. :frowning:

Originally posted by Jeff
I have a machine that draws 700-710w. :eek: Needless to say, I donā€™t run this 24/7. :frowning:

No mate, thatā€™s your hair dryer :smiley:

:lol: Nahā€¦ it just has a 226w TEC for the CPU, a 2.66GHz AMD XP, an ATI9500 non-pro(which is running 450/330), and an 80w TEC for the ATI. :smiley:

Nice. what temps do you get with the TEC? whats the original / OCā€™ed speed ?

Just looked at your sig link: nice to see a fellow EPoX user (mines an 8RDA3+)

Originally posted by Jeff

What the heck is that rig!?:eek:

Originally posted by Assimilator1

uh uhā€¦now that couldā€™ve been why my mum went skitso when our last leccy bill came :rolleyes:

3 machines on 24/7, was 4 till a month ago. My room faces south west so all afternoon the sun is in here, so i have a 2kw fan on for about 5 hrs per day. oh plus in my boling hot room i have a mini fridge, must use some power.

Yeah maybe you should cough up a little for the leccy!:p;)

2kw fan!,Jesus thats gonna chew up some juice!:eek: