Crunching has lost it's appeal

Folding isn’t cutting it for me at the minute. I know it’s a good cause but cos I’m not doing anything it feels like nothing.:frowning:

I was quite happy with it when I could use FAHChart or EM3 to submit scores to fahinfo as I knew when I was completing a unit and submitting it. Though I can’t do that with the SMP core as FAHChart doesn’t recognise it. :frowning:

Stomps aren’t really forthcoming, well not in TPR. And there’s no big project website like BOINCstats where I can compare my progress worldwide.

In fact I may have to go back to BOINC and run Riesel Sieve. Not a fantastic project science wise but at least with BOINC I can measure myself with how I do worldwide. And I don’t like a lot of the other projects. Certainly none of the ones that TPR are big on.:frowning:

I quite like the stats at extremeoverclocking but I’m not sure they do global ranking charts, at least not that I’ve found in a quick look. Do like them for info within team level.

Personally I’ve recently shut down all crunching. Just too hot at the moment and I don’t need any more heat sources running at home. I still want a 3rd rieselsieve prime some day though :smiley:

Bunch of pansies, come on and have a race;)

why not challenge some one to a race in a project can be done like a handicap if needed, as for extreme stats I use them when doing the stats for folding, the extreme stats should be getting an overhaul with some new features.

Curly

EOC have a list of all users but you cant view how quick your catching up with them etc.

I guess with my current ouput I could give TFW, Juggy or the Saint a poke and have a race to a certain number…

Though if mackeral can get a Riesel Prime, I can get one 2 :stuck_out_tongue:

If you like the protein folding game, why not run some Rosetta units through BOINC. Similar project, but good results and a fair bit of competition in the TPR team.

Thats the one I don’t like :wink:

I don’t get how you can set the time of your own WU’s. I don’t like that. Seems silly. Say all simulations are 8 hours long. If you run a 2 hour simulation, does the next person get the remiaing 6 hours or what? It all seems overcomplicated.

If I did go back to BOINC, I might try POEM or Proteins@home. I like SIMAP but it’s not on all the time.

I got two :smiley: But I have been doing rieselsieve as main project for many years now. Nowadays, I don’t want £hundreds tied up in hardware, which in turn suck expensive electricity and pump out heat and noise. Neither of which I particularly want. Maybe I’ll farm again if I win at premium bonds (better long term value than lottery?).

I’ve got nobody to race against. I’m the number one team member RAC in Einstein and LHC. I have one sad computer running Rosetta and sometimes I even make the hitters list in that. I guess TPR and forums like this have seen their day…

Still crunching, still enjoy it, running seti, rosetta, einstein, simap, yadda yadda yadda I am happy doing my bit, individual project stats are meaningless to me, I only really look at the boinc cross-project stats. Didn’t start seti all those years ago to be number 1 or to race, did it for the science and that hasn’t changed. If, for example, LHC makes a bold new discovery I will have had a tiny part to do with it, and that suits me fine.

That being said each to his own, if it no longer makes you happy stop doing it :slight_smile: Crunching isn’t dead and neither are forums, they just change and evolve like anything else. People are always quick to say that things have “changed”, blindly ignoring the fact that they too have changed and their perspective on things has changed with them.

H’onwards and h’upwards :smiley:

Pfft… next you will be saying some of us have grown up :newmon:

[QUOTE=Mojo;421452]Still crunching, still enjoy it, running seti, rosetta, einstein, simap, yadda yadda yadda I am happy doing my bit, individual project stats are meaningless to me, I only really look at the boinc cross-project stats. Didn’t start seti all those years ago to be number 1 or to race, did it for the science and that hasn’t changed. If, for example, LHC makes a bold new discovery I will have had a tiny part to do with it, and that suits me fine.

That being said each to his own, if it no longer makes you happy stop doing it :slight_smile: Crunching isn’t dead and neither are forums, they just change and evolve like anything else. People are always quick to say that things have “changed”, blindly ignoring the fact that they too have changed and their perspective on things has changed with them.

H’onwards and h’upwards :D[/QUOTE]

Never a truer word said sire, you’re far to sensible for your own good methinks;)

I’ve certainly grown outwards since I started, does that count?

:lol: don’t think it counts !

Trying my best to battle that one :chuckle:

[QUOTE=mackerel;421459]I’ve certainly grown outwards since I started, does that count?[/QUOTE]Sadly a battle I seem to have now lost :frowning:

Curly

Erm, its a team thing really.
Compare and contrast things a month ago

Stats updated 09-04-08

Todays total was 29,384 points from 27 active crunchers.

and now

Stats updated 08-05-08

Todays total was 62,807 points from 27 active crunchers.

Same number of active team members but more than double the numbers.
I have to dissagree with your thoughts its not going anywhere.

Somebody go poke nightlord with a stick.
We need a TEAM to do TEAM-STOMPS!

Fully understand if you dont want to carry on but the folding team is just getting back up to speed…

Well I’m sticking with it at the minute. It’s a good project but I find myself finding other things to view online.

Maybe it’s because I cant play with a project PC at the minute due to exams. :frowning:

[QUOTE=drezha;421475]Well I’m sticking with it at the minute. It’s a good project but I find myself finding other things to view online.

Maybe it’s because I cant play with a project PC at the minute due to exams. :([/QUOTE]FWIW I stopped crunching for quite a while, I lost interest a little and the leccy bills weren’t helping either :eek:

Now I’m back in a position where I can start crunching again, I am doing so but with just one pc (laptop) so it’s a leisurely pace which I am happy with :slight_smile:

I know what you mean about not having a pc to play with though, I really do!

At my peak I had 13 crunchers, but over time as the hardware started failing or as workmates wanted to buy one cheap, the number has dropped to 4 active. But I am still crunching SETI.

It has been costing me a fortune in electric… or so I thought. I pre-pay for electric ( I am on a card meter) and got a nice little suprise last week when I got my first bill for about 4 years… I was £480 in credit. Apparently I had been on the wrong standing charge for 4 years and was overpaying.

Have decided to ressurrect one cruncher - a shuttle with a failed PSU.

At no point in time have I ever felt like giving up… Not been a regular poster for a while, but TPR is still part of me…, and always will be.

Well…I have been crunching Seti for quite some time now…since 1998 or 99…somewhere around there. Have been with TPR for about 5 of those 9 years. I was active in the forums for awhile. Had my run in the Premier League and got as high as 20th or something like that. Anyhow, I wasn’t in it for the competition although it made it really interesting at times. I had up to five PC’s crunching at my peak. now I am down to three. Sadly though, I may have to shut down these boxes for awhile as I need to start saving on electric bills. Rest assured though…my totals will be staying with TPR :trophy: :smiley: