Debian

Anyone using it? Anyone suggest the best way of installing it?

Ive tried .
can’t get X window to start so i can configure it.

Must keep on trying,Must keep on trying…

To reconfigure X, as root type

dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

I use Debian, among others. It took some persistence to get it installed in a way I’d consider comfortable, and now I know it the installer is fairly straightforward. But that wasn’t so long ago that I forget how much of a pain it was initially.

I’d guess you’re having difficulty with package selections. I don’t use tasksel, just pick the specific packages in dselect. Select what you want and it’ll autoselect what it needs to run them.

Do you recommend the floppy, “business card” CD or the full CD install?

Whichever you like. Getting the full CD is grossly unnecessary, but I’ve at times downloaded a full CD 1 from the set to install a base system from, if I was going to experiment and rebuild several times in the process - simply as installing packages from a CD is faster than downloading them.

If you’re not, all you need is either the boot floppies or a minimal iso that contains the base system (just enough of Debian to download the rest - which you could also do from the full CD, if you wanted to). The rest of the distribution you download dynamically, from internet repositories that are maintained, refreshed and updated by the Debian project.

To the packaging system it doesn’t matter if it’s installing from local CD, nfs mount or http/ftp - but the internet ones are more up to date, which makes most uses of the full CD set redundant.

/me goes off to download Debian minimal ISO.

How did you get on with Debian? I have a copy that I installed a few months ago, but it was a sod to get my winmodem to work properly so I gave up and installed RH (better the :devil: you know) :rolleyes:

Now I’m getting bored 'cause I need a new challenge, so I’m thinking of buying an external modem on the way home from work and having another go… a couple of questions though:[ul]
[li]overall hardware detection, did it detect most/all your hardware?
[/li][li]Any problems getting Wine to run on it?
[/li][/ul]Cheers,
Marc

Originally posted by riddlermarc
[B]How did you get on with Debian? I have a copy that I installed a few months ago, but it was a sod to get my winmodem to work properly so I gave up and installed RH (better the :devil: you know) :rolleyes:

Now I’m getting bored 'cause I need a new challenge, so I’m thinking of buying an external modem on the way home from work and having another go… a couple of questions though:[ul]
[li]overall hardware detection, did it detect most/all your hardware?
[/li]> [li]Any problems getting Wine to run on it?
[/li]> [/ul]Cheers,
Marc [/B]

I always install it on an old Dell I have an it never detects the grx card properly and so I have never got x running properly (life is too short and all that). However apart from that is works great as a server. Easy to keep up to date.

Originally posted by barcode
I always install it on an old Dell I have an it never detects the grx card properly and so I have never got x running properly (life is too short and all that). However apart from that is works great as a server. Easy to keep up to date.
Is that via an ADSL/cable link? I’m running on dial-up at home and I’m thinking it’s going to be a b!tch to keep up to date at those speeds :frowning:

And what’s your overall impression of it compared to other distros?

Originally posted by riddlermarc
[B]Is that via an ADSL/cable link? I’m running on dial-up at home and I’m thinking it’s going to be a b!tch to keep up to date at those speeds :frowning:

And what’s your overall impression of it compared to other distros? [/B]

It’s actually a really good distro. Easy to maintain. Although it is notoriously difficult to install. Once installed it runs like a dream.

I run my on a LAN connection though a router to the internet (via a nic).