Development Language (for web)

What’s your favourite and why?

Mine is Java as it seems to cover all size/scale and complexity of site out their. From the single JSP site to the ultimate in distributed architectures.

Interested to learn what others use. Anyone been looking a C# and .NET in general. I have and it seems pretty good except for the fact that it only runs on Windows.

The one I would like to really get into more is ASP.Net. Whilst I can develop at home, unfortuntately the choice of hosts are limited. I must say that I am impressed with the .Net range of development languages, tools etc.

Therefore, my number one choice at this moment is PHP.

Regards.

Kaibigan.

Originally posted by barcode
Anyone been looking a C# and .NET in general. I have and it seems pretty good except for the fact that it only runs on Windows.
Didn’t I read somewhere that there are (or will be) some OS wrappers for these technologies…? I’m probably totally mistaken though :rolleyes:

Sad as it is, my pref “language” is ASP - for some reason my brain can just deal with it slightly better than PHP, although PHP is my ideal choice :slight_smile:

As said above, would like to get into ASP.net etc but haven’t really looked into it much - anyone got any pointers to some good sites (apart from www.microsoft.com :rolleyes: ;))?

The best site I have seen for ASP.Net is www.asp.net. It is a MS site but it is good none the less. Another one is www.gotdotnet.com.

Regards.

Kaibigan

Originally posted by riddlermarc
Didn’t I read somewhere that there are (or will be) some OS wrappers for these technologies…? I’m probably totally mistaken though :rolleyes:

That would be the Microsoft marketing department. AFAIK there are no other implentations on anyother platform. Gnome people were talking about doing a port and rewritting a Gnome in .NET although god knows why?! I think it will only ever run on Windows, VB.NET, ASP.NET, J# will die a death at the hands of C#. Although VB.NET will be around for sometime to come.

ATM I really only use PHP although am starting to look at ASP.net and would like to have a crack at JSP as well :slight_smile:

I’m Java myself :slight_smile:

Mono is the port of .NET to non-Windows platforms. Current status has C# compiling and running on Linux :slight_smile:

I’m a PHP man, although I’m dabbling in a bit of Java at the moment, and I intend to lean to use C#.NET, not because I want to, but because it could be good for my career.

I use PHP because it has native support for just about every database you can think of (no need to use slow or unreliable ODBC drivers. It even has it’s own database engine now (SQLite), that can be used for things like template or session storage as it’s very fast for simple SELECTs.

It’s also very easy to develop applications in any way you want with PHP, be it a quick procedural hack, or a full blown business application in OOP (one of my main projects at work is a system for financial suport that’s about 50,000+ lines of code. Not all that bit, but pretty big for a php app, and all it cost was my time and the hardware for the server. No MS licensing required).

It’s also a loosly typed language, which is ideal for scripting in a web environment.

Some people say that these are negative points as it call allow sloppy programming. This however is not a fault of the language, but the fault of sloppy programmers.

Matt. :slight_smile: