Display issues from HTPC to Samsung LE40C530 LCD TV

I had this problem of inputs and settings with my kit which is a few years old now. We have a Pioneer 50", Yamaha amp and a number of peripherals, PVR, Blu-ray, console etc.

Got round it now using a Logitech Harmony One remote which not only gets rid of the sofa full of controllers but is configurable to turn on / off the correct devices and set inputs, sound fields etc, according to activity, at one touch of it’s LCD screen.

It sourced the control codes for all my devices including a cranky DAB tuner from an on-line database and gives full functionality on menus, guides etc so none of that protracted IR ‘teaching’ malarky :slight_smile: NiMH battery charges by sitting in a cradle overnight.

The set up software is a bit clunky but functional.

Not especially cheap but well worth it imo.

Having used it a bit more, the TV does do channel swapping if I turn on the cable TV box while I’m using a console for example.

I’ve done a rewire yesterday. I now have a mountain of disused cables having streamlined the setup. Previously I routed everything including video through my AV amp. As its an ancient model HDMI didn’t exist when I got it, so now it is only useful as a sound processor. I’ve connected everything into the now TV apart from separate connections for surround sound on PS3, Xbox and an old CD changer. The TV sound is really that good unless I want/need surround it is more than good enough.

Totally agree with you on the sound. I was actually amazed. Bonus given that it’s all setup in my Dad’s spare room (I’m having housing issues!) and there’s no space for my AV receiver and 7.1 setup.

At this point I’ve only got the PC feeding the screen so haven’t had to play with profiles or the active input switching but I will soon and need to get to a point where there’s 1 size fits all. Unless the profile swapping can be done automatically (will checkout the Logitech remote) I can’t see me fiddling the settings each time. Long gone are the days of my being willing to tweak constantly to get the best possible result. I just want my stuff to be simple and work these days!

I haven’t looked in detail in that area, but the settings you apply to an input seem to only apply to that input. e.g. I use different settings for the PS3 than Xbox.

I find channel swapping a little annoying but I think I got a way around it now if I remember to use the right sequence. Now, I might have two inputs active and want to swap between them. e.g. while using a console if it might be downloading or even plying GT5 B-spec, I might pop to the TV while waiting.

The cable TV comes in the “EXT” input, and the TV switches to that when the cable box is turned on. Easy. There’s a dedicated HDMI button on the remote which will go to the first active HDMI input. Great. Not so great is if I turn off the cable box before switching to HDMI, it will stick on “no input” and pressing the HDMI button doesn’t switch input. I have to go to the input menu and move over. Quickest way to switch back to TV is to power blip the cable box.

I really wish they have a dedicated or programmable buttons for specific inputs…