Feed your paranoia

Ever read a BBC page and then wondered why it didnt look the same when you wanted to refer to it at a later date?

Maybe like me you assumed it was just the ravages of time degrading the brain.
Well, maybe not.

Theres a site dedicated to keeping a change log of BBC news items which it seems are edited as the story develops or errors are discovered

http://www.newssniffer.co.uk/articles/list_by_revision

Heres an example http://www.newssniffer.co.uk/articles/3737/diff/1/2

In the second revision, the escapee no longer had a Scottish accent.
Was this factual inaccuracy or pressure not to offend the Scottish?

Suddenly the internet is less dependable than the Tabloids even when its content provided by Auntie Beeb

You must getting old TFW. The second revision stated he did have a scottish accent, just it says it in the first sentences.

Interesting site though. Never would have guessed the beeb would edit it like that but ah well.

I suppose it removes the ‘cast in stone’ reliability of the Beeb, but those changes ar only to the grammer really. The CSO one was only the headline, and almost any headline is, at best, a soundbite / eye-catcher. Very rarely can an 8-word headline be more than a pale shadow of the content of the story.

It did remind me of the start of 1984 with the change to the war and ration history…

[QUOTE=Walter O’Reilly;392478]
It did remind me of the start of 1984 with the change to the war and ration history…[/QUOTE]

That relied on double think though…Making the person responsible for the change believe in it themselves.

Last edited by …

:chuckle:

DT.

[QUOTE=drezha;392476]You must getting old TFW. The second revision stated he did have a scottish accent, just it says it in the first sentences.

Interesting site though. Never would have guessed the beeb would edit it like that but ah well.[/QUOTE]

The reference to his accent dissapears in version 4 of the same article.
Still from Scotland though so partially a read error :slight_smile: