Fonts

Where does one get additional fonts for Gnome? I’m running a pretty much bare bones RH9 install and at first I could hardly read a thing the fonts were so bad. I’ve changed the application, desktop and window fonts all to cursor which has made a large improvement but small/bold/italic text is still a bit hard on the eyes.

Anyone have any good suggestions re a nice readable font (or anything else to make things easier to read).

thanks

Have you searched for graphics drivers from the vendor. I installed the GeForce drivers and it made more difference that I could have ever imagined.

cool I’ll have a bash at that mate :slight_smile:

quick question, if the system is set to boot into X how do I set it just to boot to the command line as obviously I can’t install the drive with X running.

cheers mate

init 3

usually does it, or add a 3 on the end of the boot command.

Originally posted by HairyMonster
[B]init 3

usually does it, or add a 3 on the end of the boot command. [/B]

rofl

I like that one.

I did the trick of not actually having X11 installed, or a monitor, keyboard, mouse for that matter.

GAteKeeper

Originally posted by HairyMonster
[B]init 3

usually does it, or add a 3 on the end of the boot command. [/B]

You’ll have to explain that one for me mate :confused:

/shameful linux n00b

init is the kernel run level command initilizer

In the file /etc/inittab there is a default run level setting. 3 is text mode with no X load.

man init or info init might help.

You might need to install some truetype fonts from Windows (some websites specify Windows proprietry fonts :mad: ).

To do this copy them all to your linux box.
Use KDE’s font installer to install them (at least that’s what I did). If not use GNOME’s font thingy (dunno what it’s called).

If you don’t have a windows box - well - find one… shameful proprietry fonts…

You might be able to get the fonts from the web, but I couldn’t find any…

They end in a .ttf (true type font) extension.

Hope this helps, metz