Hats off to M@tt!!!

Seeing your thread about R/C boats a few days back got me thinking about…

http://www.gjshobbies.com/dominator.htm

I’m picking up my baby next week. :smiley: I’ve never had a gasoline powered R/C vehicle before so the owner of the shop is going to give me a little tutorial on Thursday. I almost went for a “starter” truck but for $50 more I could get the above bute so I figured “what the hell!!!”. :wink:

Oh, and I mentioned your little scare and the owners wife started to laugh pretty hard since she’s witnessed her husband almost have a couple/three heartattacks because of similar events. :wink: I’m going to get a “kill” switch(forgot the real name, sorry) that will cut the power to accelerator solenoid if/when the truck looses touch with the remote. She said the only drawback is when you crash hard enough to jog the battery loose in the truck then the kill switch won’t function… to which I instantly replied that she should look into/suggest to the manufacturer the “button battery backup”. :flip: (again… she chuckled)

So… :cheers: to you for making me realize that it’s ok for 30somethings to play with R/C vehicles. :thumbsup:

p.s. Needless to say the Opteron I’ve had my eye on will have to wait a bit longer now… :wink:

That looks really good fun Jeff :driving: keep us informed how you get on.

I definately have great fun with the boats.

We have a local club Here who are mostly into model sailing boats.

I also have a 1/4 scale Laser

Through The UK Laser association, a guy at the local club, phoned me and has been teaching me how to set the boat up for the best sailing performance, everyone is so helpful with the sailing boat, although they are not so keen on the power side of things.

With the power boats, you can fiddle and modify to your hearts content, bigger motors, larger props and more cells, it really is like overclocking Pc’s, except much cheaper :wink: a hot 700BB Turbo motor cost £23 which I can use on loads of different boats.

The problem is, I already want two more boats

This is the one I want next PIP Triton (1.5 meg vid)

But I also want a “Super Hawaii” Video (1.7 meg) :smiley:

Like I say, its great fun, I put a boat in the back of the car, take the dogs out for a walk and on the way back have a little test of the latest mod.

Lordy, lordy that first video is impressive! :eek: And the second one is impressive in that the boat doesn’t just flip over. :wink:

If I had access to a medium or large body of water I think I may have gone the boat route. I looked at boats first at the store and they seem a little cheaper than the cars/trucks and from the looks of those videos they’d be just as fun(if not more just for the neatness factor). :wink:

I’ll be sure to put up a video or at least picture once I get used to the truck. I definitely plan to start off VERY slow and work my way up. I guess top speed is around 45 to 50mph at first and then a little faster once the motor breaks itself in(after ~10 runs so the owner says). I don’t plan on testing full speed for a while though since I want this little guy around for a long time. :smiley:

As your on broad band I have uploaded another video of the same boat Here (4.10 Meg)

I had the same idea about going really slowly to start with, but it never happened :eek: The new Speed controller is fine, I was just unlucky to had been sold a faulty one, at least the boat had a really good test :smiley:

I have water only 1.5 miles away, although it is saltwater and normally choppy, there are plenty of times when I have the whole area to myself.

Impressive video M@att. :nod:

Just read this thread, then happened to be browsing /. and saw this - airborne video form a r/c 'copter - something for you guys to think about :smiley:

For some reason though, I can’t seem to d/l the videos :confused:

:scared: That is nuts M@tt!!! :eek:

Did you take the video or is it off the web? The sound of those boats is just incredible. I hope I get the same excited feeling from the truck I’m getting. I doubt the acceleration will be like those boats, but 50mph should do something for me(I’d hope). :smiley:

If you have anymore, please do share. :cheers:

Originally posted by riddlermarc
[B]Just read this thread, then happened to be browsing /. and saw this - airborne video form a r/c 'copter - something for you guys to think about :smiley:

For some reason though, I can’t seem to d/l the videos :confused: [/B]

Try here this was where I got them

PIP Triton
PIP Triton again
and Super Hawaii

Originally posted by Jeff
[B]:scared: That is nuts M@tt!!! :eek:

Did you take the video or is it off the web? The sound of those boats is just incredible. I hope I get the same excited feeling from the truck I’m getting. I doubt the acceleration will be like those boats, but 50mph should do something for me(I’d hope). :smiley:

If you have anymore, please do share. :cheers: [/B]

They are off the web, I have some more :D, I will have a look though my files to see if anything is interesting.

Another PIP Triton one Here

Precision in Perfection web site is Here its a UK based company in Plymouth although you would think its German by it’s web address :confused:

Their other website is Here I have a Triton Hull on order :smiley:

Thanks for all the links/videos! :thumbsup:

BTW, anybody interested in an ATI Sapphire 9500np that’s been GPU and mem mod’d? I’m going to be needing some $$$ for this new hobby so… I’ll give ya a good deal. :lol: :lol: :lol: (seriously though, if you’re interested PM me) :smiley:

If you get into boats

Here are a couple of my favorite sites, USA based as well.

http://www.marinerc.com/fastelectrics/fastelectric.htm this site got me interested in both the Triton and the Super Hawaii

Best forum http://www.rumrunnerracing.com/feforums/

Very interested in this… I played with RC cars as a kid but nothing really powerful. I’d love to get into offroad autos but the boats look cool. What’s the range on the boats? We just found a park around the corner with a large lake. Too large to traverse the entire lake with one of these I’m sure but still wouldn’t mind seeing range.

You would not run out of “Radio Range” before not being able to see where you are driving.

The time a fast electric boat runs depends on loads of factors but 7-10 minutes is about normal, I can re peak my batteries in about 15 minutes off the car battery, but your meant to let the batteries cool before charging them, so two sets would be nice to have.

A 700BB Turbo motor will draw loads of Amps, maybe 20-30 depending on the prop, so the batteries really do get hot.

:dunce: You mean those videos are of electric motor driven boats? :eek: Damn they sound like gas powered ones! :doh:

BTW… I picked my little guy up this afternoon. :banana: :banana: :banana:

I’ll have a couple pictures in a few hours(maybe).

Hey Ben what lake ? Tribble Mill? :thumbsup:

http://www.adventurevision.com/somepictures/rc/

You can see my blood stains on the black aluminum “head” in pictures 6 and 7. :smiley: Damn thing wouldn’t start and kept flooding out. I think the included glow plug heater is broken and the rechargeable one I bought isn’t charged yet. :rolleyes: I guess it’ll have to wait 'til tomorrow. :frowning:

Looking good Jeff, bet you well have fun today :wink:

Originally posted by M@tt
Looking good Jeff, bet you well have fun today :wink:

Unfortunately it’ll have to wait until after work though… :frowning: Figure I better work while I have the chance since our current labor contract runs out tonight at midnight and the company and unions aren’t very close to settling. :frowning: I have to admit though… I’m actually glad to have the union(for once) since they just won 3,500 jobs back for it’s members(the company went against the contract and laid off workers it knew it couldn’t lay off in a way it knew it couldn’t do :rolleyes: ). Seems the only two sticking points are layoff clauses and the ability to transfer into wireless and high speed internet divisions(currently we can not do this even though it’s basically all one company). The union(and it’s members) have already conceded on paying for some of our health care and not getting any(or small) raises over the life of the contract. Basically(for once) it seems the union has not held out for, what I consider, greed. :wink:

Whoa!!! Guess I had to get that off my chest. :smiley:

At any rate, I’ll hopefully be R/Cing tonight!!! :thumbsup:

Nice shade of Phoenix Orange there Jeff :wink:
you not lose site of that :smiley:

It started! :woot:

Seems the included glow plug heater is basically poop. :slight_smile: I just have to burn through a few tanks of gas now to break in the engine and then I can finally see how this little guy looks on the ground.

:banana: :woot: :banana: