Honest this is legit

Got a promlem at work with a Linux box

The guy who set it up had not documented the correct root password and there is only ssh enabled on the box (RH9). Does any of u *nix gurus know how I can get in and regain control of our errant box, you can contact me on my work email with any info plz and this obviously isn’t the place for a discussion of this type! and also I can’t give out the info as its work related

:doh:

cbradshaw@smart421.com

Cheers in advance

Do you have physical access to the machine? Are you using GRUB or LILO.

Anyway this should get you started.

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/custom-guide/ch-rescuemode.html

This is a feature not a bug… that’s why physical security is very important.

Yeah that will work, you need access to the physical console.

what kernel does rh9 install with? would it be vulnerable to the ptrace bug?

To find out kernel version run

$ rpm -qa | grep kernel

Just went and asked the guy for his documentation and guess what was in the appendices you got it the ssh config script with the line
PermitRootLogin no

so I have just spent the last ten minutes mocking him and then logged in for him!

That is just good security. It you need root rights you should login as a user and use su - to get the root rights anyway.

Originally posted by MAOJC
That is just good security. It you need root rights you should login as a user and use su - to get the root rights anyway.

Isn’t that the RH 9 default anyway?

Originally posted by barcode
Isn’t that the RH 9 default anyway?

I do believe it is. You don’t know who many sys admins “correct” this problem.

anyone foolish enough to use RH needs protecting from the awesome power of root anyway :wink: