I feel the need.....

Tomorrow, I reach 4 Million Boinkers (plus a fair whack of Foldy thingies too). The farm is running well since the upgrade, but I feel in need of a challenge.

The Scottish Boinc Team (formerly Scotland’s Seti) have been buttering me up recently and it’s with rather heavy heart that I have to admit that I’m tempted to up sticks and look to pastures new (in this case to return to pastures old).

For me TPR seems to have lost a little of it’s it’s crunching edge recently. There seems to be lots going on, but I don’t see much in the way of coordinated goals or targets. From where I sit, the team seems to be drifting apart in it’s DC activities and there doesn’t seem to be much fire in the belly. Maybe I missed out on the Folding race as the farm was being torn down and rebuilt, or maybe just the one race now and then doesn’t do it for me any more?

So come on, give me a reason to continue the crunch here. How about monthly targets, or cross project races, or project of the month, or setting an overall target for each project (say top 50, or top 20)…any ideas, inspiration, motivation?

I agree with you NL. SETI was my initial reason for joining TPR, but is no longer a priority to me. I still BOINC (ATM only CPDN) and still for the Team, but the targets and races were never a reason for being. I am glad that I contribute towards these worthwhile projects. I have never been a “power” cruncher and am not likely to be, but I will still be here for the Team.

With that said I will also be here for the Team in other activities as well. I enjoy a bout of on-line gaming and I admit to being a bit more involved in Ogame and SP rather than BOINC races, because at this time they are more fun and more engaging to me personally.

It’s not everyone’s cup of tea, but it is to me. I still follow the news and I like to see how everyone’s getting on in the stats with Curly’s excellent daily contribution and this will still be important to me in the future. You have been an excellent contributor to the Team and your posts and solutions to problems have been invaluable to me personally. I hope you won’t give up the Team because I will definitely miss your input, but if you do, I can quite see why, the same as it was with MAOJC.

Times change and so do people, but being part of the Team is important and I’m sorry that the Team’s focus has moved away from it’s original raison d’etre, leading you to this dilemma. In a way we have let you down by not considering your needs as a member of the Team and I can only apologise for this oversight.

I hope you will reconsider as I personally will miss your posts and the stick you seem to get from Mrs NL for spending too much dosh on upgrades. :smiley: It is these subtle things that add your personality to us as a whole and I know it will be greatly missed by us all.

Droid

No apologies necessary Droid! I think I just become rather stale and the DC activities here haven’t been lighting my wick for a while.

People change as time moves on and I think I’m looking for some crunching to get my teeth into again. Hopefully it will be here. I do hope some of the ideas I mentioned could be explored.

If I do find comfort elsewhere, you needn’t worry: tales of Mrs N giving me grief will still abound.

What can I say, its sad but don’t blame you. I keep thinking I really must get back to some serious crunching but now that we’ve got the stable systems we asked for, a lot of the edge has gone out of it for me and I suspect a lot of others. Building machines or serious OCing hardly seems worthwhile these days either.

That said, a few races or team stomp objectives might tempt me to get a few more machines running :slight_smile:

I must admit I had been looking at learning some PHP and MySQL code and stuff so I could possibly attempt a smallish TPR stats site as there are a few programs about that would make a TPR folding one possible with me putting some effort in. Now I’ve got a couple of weeks free before uni that I can put effort into learning some code.

Another team I visit a lot do a month long race along projects. They do a race in a BOINC project and non BOINC project for a week, then move to another one the next for about a month or two and it generates a lot of interest.

I’m sure if we could get a project together to challange AMD Users again, they’d be up for a race.

[QUOTE=Nightlord;388288]Tomorrow, I reach 4 Million Boinkers (plus a fair whack of Foldy thingies too). The farm is running well since the upgrade, but I feel in need of a challenge.

The Scottish Boinc Team (formerly Scotland’s Seti) have been buttering me up recently and it’s with rather heavy heart that I have to admit that I’m tempted to up sticks and look to pastures new (in this case to return to pastures old).

For me TPR seems to have lost a little of it’s it’s crunching edge recently. There seems to be lots going on, but I don’t see much in the way of coordinated goals or targets. From where I sit, the team seems to be drifting apart in it’s DC activities and there doesn’t seem to be much fire in the belly. Maybe I missed out on the Folding race as the farm was being torn down and rebuilt, or maybe just the one race now and then doesn’t do it for me any more?

So come on, give me a reason to continue the crunch here. How about monthly targets, or cross project races, or project of the month, or setting an overall target for each project (say top 50, or top 20)…any ideas, inspiration, motivation?[/QUOTE]

very Good Work, really

i hope you stay and in another 8 Years, not right , i reach the 8 years club in a couble of Days

SETI@home member since 21 Oct 1999

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/home.php#prefs

but i hope to see you in the next 8 Years, and than we can talk,

we have found then

Grretings from Germany
Sir Ulli

Go ahead chicken RUN! before I’m Boinkers again…hehehe can’t stand the pace eh?

I understand everything you said, I think it was nearly word for word what the major said when he left. Maybe the world of crunching is not the same anymore, but I’m TPR through & through and I’ll be here even if there’s just me left.

Just my 2p, all the best in whatever you decide - chicken! :smiley:

I suppose the real question from me is, if there is no real activity to push for, no goals to make - why haven’t you made some ?

TPR in my view is what TPR makes it, that’s why it’s so great. There is no big stick saying we must do X or Y. If you want a challenge or a race, the people are there as seen with the folding race. It is always a shame to see someone actively ‘leave’, so I do hope that will not be the case, besides the TPR bungee cord gets most :chuckle: :Plot:

I’m crunching away merrily on Seti, but tbh there is so little to report or do with Boinc (a good thing imo) they just plod along doing the crunching. I’m up to as high in the leagues as I can get as all those with higher points out produce my daily output, and I’m pretty sure Mojo will spot I’ve taken him in Seti soon and I’ll be back down a place :frowning:

Whatever you decide, your decision is yours :slight_smile:

DT.

Have to admit its not as much of a challenge as it used to be.
Logging into the office network and firing up 300 workstations on a weekend just to keep a byte counter one step higher than somebody elses doesnt have the same attractions.

I’m folding only for the forseeable future and even then I only only check most of the PC’s when I can be bothered. I have even moved PC’s on to relatives and not replaced them, three Sempron/Athlon 3200’s have left the building.

Speaking of Maojc, didnt we stomp FreeDC the other day at folding?
Team races are to me the only way to generate a real competition, how about throwing down against the FreeDC folding team for a bit ?

Well I have tried on a few occasions over the last year to add a little crunching spice, but not much has come of it.

One of the reasons I strongly supported the Simap Sprint last year and the Folding races earlier this year was to try to encourage participation from casual crunchers. Strangely enough (or perhaps not) it was the die-hard crunchers that contributed. Maybe that’s the way it is now: like Balrog and TFW have said, perhaps crunching has lost some of the shine now it all just sits there humming away in the corner.

As to the forum and team, please, I don’t want anyone to take offence, but I see many more posts and interest in the online gaming threads than in the DC threads. Absolutely fair enough, that’s what people are interested in…it just doesn’t turn me on these days.

Oh dear, this is starting to sound like a slagging off, which is definitely not what I want. Honestly, I’m neither bitter nor hacked off. I just want to spice things up a bit for my crunching hobby and I have found that spice rather thin on the ground here of late. TPR is a great place to hang out, and a valuable source of advice and information: I will continue to lurk.

Never say never, but for a while though, I want to see if the grass is greener on the other side.

I for one would be sad to see you go Nightlord…and I try every once in a while to get a race/races going, my main interest in doing the news posts both folding and seti is to keep the interest for people, we can’t make people crunch it has to be there choice,perhaps making seti and the like simpler has just killed off the activity in the forums, and with projects very much install/run… there’s is not that seance of achievement any more, oh well maybe as TFW says we should go challenge one of the bigger teams…make it a challenge worth attaining.

Curly

I did enjoy the competition I tried to get running a while back with the lowest specced PC on SIMAP crunching as one user, that was quite good and I remember Nightlord enjoyed that as well, even offering a bottle of scotland’s finest as a prize!" :eek: A similiar race would be good.

I miss team bannana

The Virtual teams werre good. Maybe I could try and resurect some of Balrog’s old stats if I can find the file on my PC…

I would be willing to help resurrect the team stats, if help is needed.

So do I :frowning:

LOL its been so long, I forgot I was on Team Python :slight_smile: