Introducing the CRUNCHY HOG

Wow, that’s quite a beast, more so than the Stomp Monster which is amazing for one person to have assembled. :slight_smile:

You say “Mainly XP1900+” are there some duffers in there too? :wink:

Ooops I just posted a link to this thread on alt.sci.seti !

How careless of me :wink:

Fantastic Mr BobW sah!

V Jealous now, I need to move quick so I can start my own plans!

Whoa!

Now this is what I call something I don’t have a word for.

Excellent!

Looks like these kind of things are going commercial

http://www.rocketcalc.com/index.php?loc=redstone

(link coutesy of www.2cpu.com)

Those who look at the PDF will see 8 natty shelfs of what looks like a familiar integrated motherboard :D. Shame they’ve used P3’s.

Need someone to get one so we can reverse engineer those shared power supplies and copy those network booting flashes :wink:

Originally posted by LinearB
[B]Looks like these kind of things are going commercial

rocketcalc.com

(link coutesy of www.2cpu.com)

Those who look at the PDF will see 8 natty shelfs of what looks like a familiar integrated motherboard :D. Shame they’ve used P3’s.

Need someone to get one so we can reverse engineer those shared power supplies and copy those network booting flashes :wink: [/B]

i cant see any real detail of the insides… but i did see this

1724W (4x431W) low-noise power supply

no shared units at all … nearly 2KWs worth of power! blimey!

I’ve assumed there’s 8 boards and only 4 PSU’s hence my shared comment :wink:

Hell’s teeth…every time I go away there’s always a surprise waiting, but WTF???

I am gobsmacked…looks like you’ve put a lot of time and effort into it BobW, it looks fantastic!

We’re not worthy…:smiley:

Originally posted by BobW
[B]They don’t auto power-on. However the power-on pins are wired to those panels of tiny push switches (bottom front of each block (apart from one I haven’t done yet)). Connection is standard push-on molex sockets so something clever could be done later with relays if I felt like it. Woouldn’t want everything powering-up at once, anyway.

Total pain is that I can’t work out how to disable the "Keyboard Error, press F1 to continue"error if the keyboard is missing on boot. There’s usually a BIOS option but I can’t see it for these boards. What’s the connection of a PS/2 plug to fake a keyboard?

Otherwise, I think they boot without a monitor. Video is onboard - I haven’t tried disabling it to see if there’s a performance boost.

I agree, plenty of work to do. I just got impatient and wanted to get crunching.

I did plenty of Unix stuff 10ish years ago, but not much recent Linux. Got several distros ready to try out. [/B]

I’ve tricked a motherboard with a PS2 > Serial mouse adapter, the same with a monitor too, I’ve used both a monitor extension cable (Or just a detatchable monitor cable), and an SVGA > VGA adapter by itself.

I’m sure you could pick those up at a fair for about 30p each, or find out what they actually do when sat there.

Oh, this hasn’t crashed any MS or Unix OS I’ve done this on, and mobo’s dont mind (or I wouldn’t be writing this).

Following conversations at the revival LAN yesterday, I’ve found the Hog deconstruction photos from when I assisted in clearing the Late Greate BobW’s home.

@MickeyC there’s a pic of the “special” power extension block in use!