Is crunching a dying art ?

D2OL IMHO is the project now that resembles SETI classic the most for the points as said by Arian.

Folding IMHO is automateted. IMHO it’s suffering from all the points you are saying BOINC is…that it’s to automated.

I think Predictor and BOINC are doing excellent!
I’m very fond of the platform of BOINC and will continue to crunch until I try something else that I like.

The folding cli rocks with the -config setting and then entering yes as a service. For remote rigs it’s ideal, none of this new release every other month, you just set as a service, on slower cpu machines set to 80-90% cpu usage and just let the project get its results. This is no different from using seti-driver to just sit there and crunch. I 've got a remote somewhere that on the odd occasion is still feeding classic units !!! I’ve no idea where !!!

DT.

BUMP

This blast from the past now seems incredibly relevant.
I havent crunched in ages but nobody has asked me to either.

What am I missing ?

Guess the question is why you aren’t crunching. Personally, I crunch for two reasons: 1) I like contributing to sciences that interest me or that I believe need help. 2) I’m a stat whore, and crunching generates stats. :smiley:

Luckily, my second reason for crunching is much less important than my first. I like the idea of mapping the galaxy, searching for other life, curing cancer and Alzheimers. Hence, I crunch.

What you might be missing is a science you are interested in, the desire to run up your electrical bill, or possibly just the interaction with the crunchers. I know I was much more interested in original SETI since I could set up a cache server, web page, etc. I really miss the races when we could hold the cache and dump at the last second… :sneaky: . The hands-off approach of BOINC is much less interesting. On the other hand, some people don’t want to be bothered with configurations and are looking for the “fire and forget” approach which BOINC does very well.

Ask yourself, why did you start crunching in the first place, and is that reason still valid?

I did the original Seti for the competitive element, the hunt to get the most CPU cycles.
Folding came close but I downscaled the number of active systems at home, as they croaked they didnt get replaced.

At the moment I’m on a second hand board from a Mojo’s meet, MarkOne/Preecey/PMM are likely candidates for supply of a NF3/Athlon2500 board that just keeps on chugging.

I could return to Folding but with few CPU’s to call on and all of them being clunkers I doubt it would make a worthwhile contribution.

If I was to buy a new desktop PC with a view to making it a spankingly good cruncher, maybe GPU based crunching, what should I be looking at ?

[QUOTE=MrTFWitt;462139]I did the original Seti for the competitive element, the hunt to get the most CPU cycles.
Folding came close but I downscaled the number of active systems at home, as they croaked they didnt get replaced.

At the moment I’m on a second hand board from a Mojo’s meet, MarkOne/Preecey/PMM are likely candidates for supply of a NF3/Athlon2500 board that just keeps on chugging.

I could return to Folding but with few CPU’s to call on and all of them being clunkers I doubt it would make a worthwhile contribution.

If I was to buy a new desktop PC with a view to making it a spankingly good cruncher, maybe GPU based crunching, what should I be looking at ?[/QUOTE]

In my opinion you can’t beat Phenom II Hex cores for crunching in value for money… especially if you went for a Black Edition and overclocked it… add in a decent GPU and you would have a cracking cruncher.

Black Edition Phenom II’s are more than capable of hitting 4GHz… I’ve got a 955Black quad core that hit 4.3Ghz on default voltages.

I dont know if I would bother to overclock these days, unless its going to get me a 50% increase at least I would rather go for stock and stable.

My days are often spent tinkering with badly setup servers, I want my home stuff to just work.

Phenom sounds interesting though

The phenom x6 is fantastic value for crunching. Just look at the fiend’s 1055t his over clock is running 17th fastest dockingpc in the world only beaten by multiprocessor servers and some expensive over clocked i7’s. That’s a £115 CPU at Scan.co.uk right now.

Awesome.

Butuz
Butuz

[QUOTE=MrTFWitt;462154]I dont know if I would bother to overclock these days, unless its going to get me a 50% increase at least I would rather go for stock and stable.

My days are often spent tinkering with badly setup servers, I want my home stuff to just work.

Phenom sounds interesting though[/QUOTE]

With the Phenoms and AMD chipsets you don’t really need to tinker… The AMD Overdrive utility it will gradually up the speed till it finds a nice stable overclock… That’s how I found my 1055T was quite happy runing at 3.5Ghz with a 250 FSB, the rest of the settings are at default. At it is rock solid at that speed!!! :driving:

[QUOTE=Butuz;462155]The phenom x6 is fantastic value for crunching. Just look at the fiend’s 1055t his over clock is running 17th fastest dockingpc in the world only beaten by multiprocessor servers and some expensive over clocked i7’s. That’s a £115 CPU at Scan.co.uk right now.

Awesome.

Butuz
Butuz[/QUOTE]

:tiphat: Butuz!!!

And that’s running on a Gigabyte MA78LMT-US2H mobo, available for just over £50… mind you, if it was a 1090T or 1100T I was running I would go for a motherboard with a better VRM setup…

Dead proud of me 1055T… it’s up there with the “big boys toys” and even out performing several 1090T’s!!! :smiley:

the new AMD chips, bulldozer will affect prices. It’s not long now before the NDA lifts.

DT.

[QUOTE=DoubleTop;462159]the new AMD chips, bulldozer will affect prices. It’s not long now before the NDA lifts.

DT.[/QUOTE]

Bulldozer looks very tempting… maybe in about 6 months or so I’ll do another upgrade… Any rumours on the Bulldozer price structure yet?

I’ve seen rumours about, but nothing concrete and unlike most launches I’ve not seen any constructive mis-use of the NDA either :lol:

Yes bulldozer is intriguing. 8 core 3ghz at 95watts and possibly up to 4 gig at 125 watts???!!!

It’s going to be a crunching powerhouse that’s for sure.

I am stuck between a rock and a hard place. I need to build a pc now but I also need to wait for bulldozer.

Butuz

How much windows 2000 support is there for the chipsets ?
Or will I have to use something that doesnt boast about being Y2K ready on its box ?

Buying a new OS ?
Steady on there now

Hello Butuz !

Win2k??? Even I gave up on that, and I loved it far more than XP. I’d guess you might struggle finding drivers and support going forwards on that now.

For a dedicated cruncher there’s always the linux thing…

Helloo Tee Efff Witt!!!

Yeh I think you are gonna have to bite the bullet one day and upgrade from trusty old win2k :smiley:

I hope you do come back and crunch a bit of docking!

Personally as far as crunching goes I tend to do it on and off. Ill stop crunching and then ill start back up 6 months later. Its just the way I am! But I am in it for the long hall been crunching since 1999 and I think I will always be crunching at some point in the future!

Butuz