Its being a long time - So what is everyong crunching now?

Hi there

Right guys my crunching days used to be the SETI and we operated under “The Macc Lads” which was myself, Marshy and Mark&Julie.

So what are the popular crunching activities now then, is SETI still going or is there a more popular choice now?

I am asking because I start at Novatech soon and well it would be good to get those guys onboard and crunching either under their own name or maybe merging with Team Pheonix Rising.

So please advice and provide links to what I need to download and instruction please.

Also may I also say as well please feel free to join the Novatech forums and contribute as would be great to see you guys over there as well.

Hi Gibbo
There are two main groups here , Folding and SETI ,

Folding supports three main types of crunching , SMP clients for multiple core platforms for Windows , Linux and OSX , single core clients for all and a special client for PS3 , GPU clients for both Nvidia and ATI , only supported under Windows , but many of us use the windows GPU client on a Linux/Wine platform .

SETI now crunches under the BOINC platform which supports many other projects such as GPUGRID and Climate prediction Both GPUGRID and SETI now use GPU clients but only on Nvidia (8xxx and newer CUDA enabled GPUs)
the LIST of projects running under the BOINC umbrella is large , something to meet many tastes.

Have a look around and take your choice . there is always a helpful answer to be had here , just ask.

Edit - PS the TPR folding team could do with some help

Crunch SETI… you know you want to!!! :agree:

SETI at the mo. Just passed my 100K milestone and looking towards 150K :smiley:

Hi there

If I crunch SETI can I still get access to my old account but move it out of OcUK as such?

[QUOTE=Gibbo;431860]Hi there

If I crunch SETI can I still get access to my old account but move it out of OcUK as such?[/QUOTE]

Seti Classic account = BOINC Seti Account.

Should be easy enough to switch if you can log into your account.

HI there

OK guys check this out:-
http://forum.novatech.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=27831&p=61969#p61969

Now your the experts but I have already mentioned getting a SETI / BOINC forums setup over there, if any of you want to join and add your comments or maybe mention a possibly joint group effort then please feel free to do so.

Seti of course, Just restarted after a long hiatus.

[QUOTE=Mortlake;431835]SETI now use GPU clients but only on Nvidia (8xxx and newer CUDA enabled GPUs)[/QUOTE]Would this run on my laptop 8600M GT card and if so would it make it overheat too much?
EDIT checked and it is CUDA enabled but would it heat up too much in my lappy? If not, where can I find instructions on d/ling and installing this?

[QUOTE=riddlermarc;432069]Would this run on my laptop 8600M GT card and if so would it make it overheat too much?
EDIT checked and it is CUDA enabled but would it heat up too much in my lappy? If not, where can I find instructions on d/ling and installing this?[/QUOTE]

Instructions here

[QUOTE=Mortlake;432071]Instructions here[/QUOTE]Cheers for that, I’m getting page errors (not loading) so I can’t grab a copy of the latest client… will have to be patient.

/sits and gradually wears out F5 button…

I would be a bit unsure of running using a laptop gfx personally, but I know there are people that do. You’ll need to get the latest nvidia drivers as well to enable cuda.

I’ve got the client ok, so try here

hth

DT.

Thanks DT, downloaded the client and updated my display drivers - will it automatically detect my GPU or do I have to specify it anywhere? The BOINC site says your graphics card needs 256MB memory, would that be dedicated memory or would shared count?

From my dxdiag:

Display Devices

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT   
 Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Chip type: GeForce 8600M GT
     DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
   Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0407&SUBSYS_02291028&REV_A1

Display Memory: 2032 MB
Dedicated Memory: 241 MB
Shared Memory: 1791 MB
Current Mode: 1440 x 900 (32 bit) (60Hz)

I’m just curious to get it working, probably won’t have it running 24/7 on my laptop…

EDIT: found the option on my BOINC account and it is already enabled - the BOINC client has found my GPU:

07/01/2009 09:56:44||CUDA devices found
07/01/2009 09:56:44||Coprocessor: GeForce 8600M GT (1)

But is still only running two clients :confused: