Land Rover Disco - the fixxers blog :)

Following on from the other thread, this gets interesting. With the rear tyre pumped up, the water is following a different route down, it’s now coming out the front of the engine, running off the top of the block. What is now evident is a puddle sat under the big bit that says 3.9 on it. I’ve just removed the radiator from the fill, so it’s a pipe that leads from the expansion tank to somewhere in the engine. There are only two :woot:

So where does that leave me? Cold, numb fingers and a desire to get a bigger water carrier or move it close to the tap !!!

So from looking at the coolant diagram, could I be looking at something completely different ?

DT.

Theres a myriad of places it could be, thermostat, heater pipes that run in the V or the inlet manifold gaskets as water circulates through the inlet manifold.

I’ve got the same engine in the garage, albeit less CC’s but just as many places to leak. I’ll have a closer look at mine in daylight and see if I can suggest anywhere else.

Found it !!!

I have here sat beside me a pipe with an almighty split in it :smiley: Twas the pipe that ran from the engine to the heater. The flexi bit before it goes to that solid pipe that runs across the top of the left side into the bulkhead. It was an absolute git to get off with it being partially hidden behind the dizzy, but with two pairs of hands courtesy of an all day breakfast to Bilko, fingers crossed it’s just the one leak :lol:

Should get time to go get a new bit tomorrow, so looking good for the deadline of a decision by Friday. Of course that also means sorting out the fact to my knowledge it hasn’t been sorn and no tax paid for a while … not my problem with sorting out that but will affect getting it to a mot garage.

Fingers crossed :xfinger:

DT.

All sounding good :slight_smile:

I’m not in the know on this but do you have to re-tax and declare on road before you can go for a MOT ? I have the Mini sorn’d off road at the mo.

But had it in my head that as long as you have a booked MOT potentially you did not have to… then thinking on it don’t you have to show the MOT pass to get the Tax Disc

Looks a good result so far DT :thumbsup:

Fingers crossed that it’s the only pipe that has a problem :xfinger:

[QUOTE=PMM;404637]All sounding good :slight_smile:

I’m not in the know on this but do you have to re-tax and declare on road before you can go for a MOT ? I have the Mini sorn’d off road at the mo.

But had it in my head that as long as you have a booked MOT potentially you did not have to… then thinking on it don’t you have to show the MOT pass to get the Tax Disc[/QUOTE]

Nope, you can drive to a prebooked MOT without tax but it must be insured.
The SORN is cancelled the moment you change the owner too so if you send off the V5 get it back on SORN asap or they tax you for the period the bloody form was in the post to you.

Good news :slight_smile: TFW is 100% correct, that’s your way forward.

here we go, a more exact picture showing which hose has the split.

Thanks for the tax and mot advice :thumbsup:

DT.

You just have to hope now that the dry engine caused by that split wasn’t run too long damaging something more fundamental read expensive :xfinger:

have we got a pic of the whole car ?

I will take one tomorrow if I remember :slight_smile: BUT be aware that tomorrow is the works Christmas Lunch so if it’s not there by lunchtime it aint gonna be :lol:

DT.

:amstupid: I forgot the pic again :doh:

The last two hours went something like this :smiley:

1. Fix new pipe
  2. Fill expansion tank - watch for leaks
  3. Rejoice as no leakage
  4. Put the battery back
  5. Swear at the keyfob a lot to turn off the immobiliser
  6. Connect jumpstart park
  7. BRRRMMMMMMMMMMMMM
  8. Tick over whilst watching for leaks now pressurised
  9. Happy happy :smiley:
  10. Top coolant up with anti-freeze
  11. Start again - razz around car-park for 40minutes :woot:
  12. 0-40 is most impressive :chuckle: although the slippery car park meant fun when coming back down to 0, ABS works :chuckle:

Kids were hysterical when I booted it and the glove box opened, the front dash that surrounds the speedo came off, I was more amused on the stop back to zero as a Daniel screamed OUCH - Michaels response was “seatbelts work then” :lol:

So then, to the MOT. Well there is a massive chip in the windscreen, I’m told the garage may not be too happy that you have to have the jumpstart pack to start it :chuckle: One front indicator bulb has gone, and I think all the wipers will need replacing.

Post MOT, an interesting noise from the gearbox at low speed, but only at low speed. One of the belts is way too loose, I think the adjuster is missing a spring as they are meant to self adjust (from what I gather). Not to forget that tyre with a slow puncture either.

Nothing to be done until Monday now, then I’ll be talking about the way forward with ownership and sorting paperwork out with the current owner.

DT.

Looking good so far then DT :thumbsup:

Gearbox noise…

If its not leaking it needs filling immeadiatly

as requested then Wallis, a couple of pics to show the general state of the car :slight_smile:

DT.

looks like money well spent TBH , LPG conversion and you good to go

Very tidy, you have mentioned nothing frightening unless the gearbox is munged which I sincerely doubt. As TFW says it may just need fluid (easy job) or as you are not a 4x4 owner it may be some other part of the drive train making a noise e.g. front/rear UJ, diffs or just play in any part. If you peep underneath you will find plenty of grease nipples on the drive shafts and couplers - my advice a thorough grease and check the gearbox and transfer box and diffs for oil levels - I reckon you have a good one :thumbsup:

pretty sure the noise is the loose belt, going to have to have a look at that with it ramped up slightly.

New question for you all though, I now have all the docs. It has no TAX, no MOT and no Insurance. First question is how do I legally get it to an MOT garage?

Just about to call the DVLA regarding the TAX and the SORN. Will report back in a minute.

DT.

[QUOTE=DoubleTop;406229]pretty sure the noise is the loose belt, going to have to have a look at that with it ramped up slightly.

New question for you all though, I now have all the docs. It has no TAX, no MOT and no Insurance. First question is how do I legally get it to an MOT garage?

Just about to call the DVLA regarding the TAX and the SORN. Will report back in a minute.

DT.[/QUOTE]

needs to be insured to drive it to the test centre

not sure about the sorn bit

See post #6 of this thread :wink: