Land Rover Disco - the fixxers blog :)

Before you book it make sure that everything you can check is checked.

Many places will change the odd bulb and charge you half an hours labour but if they have to do several things and run out of time they will fail it hoping to the work separately.

Do all the lights work ?
Does the fog light dashboard indicator light up ?
Are the tyre pressures right? It will fail the brake tests if not
Is the exhaust blowing anywhere ? Get someone to hold a rag over the end of the exhaust and listen for whistles.

Is the windscreen chip free and scratch free ?

Also make sure the exhaust isnt going to launch itself onto the floor the moment its up on the ramps :rolleyes:
Thats a definate FAIL

1. nope, the drivers side indicator bulb has gone

2. along with the abs, the handbrake and pretty much any other light depending on the speed you are doing

3. they will be on the day, but one has a slow puncture

4. exhaust is fine, at last something that is ok

5. the windscreen has a chip, passenger side and I’ve been informed it was there for the last two MOT’s, as it’s not in drivers view it passes apparently

6. you forgot to mention the trouble they may have starting it with a duff battery :wink:

7. gaffer tape is at the ready for the drivers wing mirror that falls off if you floor it

SgtBilko just got KwikFit insurance that gets you a free voucher for an MOT, I might try that at the Kwik Fit in errmmmm, Oxford as then I’ve got a booked MOT and it’s legal for me to have a jolly drive with no TAX :lol: (is it ???)

DT.

Put a new bulb in you tart, it takes 10 seconds and costs about a pound.

Neither hand brake or ABS warning lights would affect your MOT as far as I know, as long as the brakes they relate to are functional. ABS sensor light on is usually crap on the wheel sensor - pull, clean, replace. If all else fails pull the bulb on the warning light.

Puncture is not an issue as long as the tyre is otherwise sound.

Crap battery is not an MOT issue either.

Mirror could be a problem, either tape it very securely or grab one from a scrap yard, easy fit and should be cheap.

You could book an MOT in Edinburgh and drive there legally, as long as you are insured and you can prove the MOT is pre-booked.

Haven’t checked but I think the road tax waiver wording says something about a local test station.

having posted in this thread, I couldn’t resist taking it for a spin around the car park again this morning :lol:

I think the dash needs a little work, I’m guessing when the recon engine was fitted an attempt was made on the clock, one of the instrument panel clips is snapped and the other one has nothing to clip to as I found the bracket behing the dash :frowning: Little job and shouldn’t affect anything. I’m not sure if the handbrake is doing anything at all either, which could be bad.

Got the broken bulb, and did a swap with a working one to make sure it wasn’t a connection thing - so I’ll replace that later on today. It’s a real shame the best place to get parts is opposite a drive-through McDonalds :chuckle:

DT.

well, I’ve got the tailgate open, some serious amounts of wd40, the back panel and subwoofer taken off to get at the lock. All of that was a waste of time - prise off the landrover badge on the outside handle, squirt the handle spring with wd40, wiggle it a lot, ping - door opens :sigh:

A rather large issue now though - he won’t idle in gear, being an auto that’s a rather large problem. As such, it’s parked at a funny angle until later on when the car park is a little more clear and hopefully :xfinger: he’ll move enough to get him parked. He’ll still start, idle OK when in neutral or park, put foot on brake and move it into a drive gear and the engine dies.

It’s not looking good :frowning: Ideas anyone ?

DT.

new battery fitted, no more stalling - so that’s decent.

Rang DVLA to chase up on the replacement V5 - no record of that being received Sir for that registration, all I can suggest is that you send off the forms again :rant: :rant: So more weeks of it sat there and not being able to use it, as without the V5 you can’t get a damn thing done, and without an MOT fail cert due to no MOT test being possible without documents :wink: I can’t drive it to a garage to be ‘fixed’, can’t tax it, can’t do a damn thing :rant:

DT.

Oh don’t be so dramatic its only a Landy :slight_smile: Any parts advice whatever let me know.

[QUOTE=DoubleTop;408485]:xfinger: he’ll move enough to get him parked. He’ll still start, idle OK when in neutral or park, put foot on brake and move it into a drive gear and the engine dies.

It’s not looking good :frowning: Ideas anyone ?

DT.[/QUOTE]

Could be anything.

Nah, just kidding.
Check and clean all the plug leads, just one at a time.
Dont want to get the plug leads all mixed up :wink: but the top of the engine got a damned good dousing until you fixed the water leak.

Another thing, apart from poor sparks, that upsets a V8 is air leaks.
Any source of air getting in other than through the airflow sensor will put the air/fuel ratio out. So a leak anywhere in the inlet or more likely crank case breather hoses will upset the idle.

Now this might seem random but, does it have aircon fitted?
If it does try turning the aircon on as this should up the fuel ratio at idle.

My money is on air leaks as the brake servo alters inlet manifold pressure and could exacerbate a mixture problem.
Probably wouldnt hurt to clean and gap the plugs and see if theres things living in the airfilter as well.

anyone care to give me a guideline figure on what the landy is worth? More to the point, anyone care to make a sensible offer.

It’s starting first time now with a new battery, the warning lights are still on but I’ve not had any spare time to finish off this as a ‘project’, so still no tax or mot, and the DVLA keep ‘losing’ or putting to the bottom of the pile my requests for a replacement V5.

DT.

I made time … V5 arrived last week, MOT was done today - and it passed :smiley:

so now it has tax and MOT for a year, and it’s time to buy some fun things for it :devil:

well actually it kinda needs a topping up brake fluid, new water pump belt, a complete cooling system drain, new oil, new filter, new sparks, a new keyfob for the central locking, a new windscreen, a new rear sunroof seal, a new subwoofer unit on the rear door, a set of mats and some fluffy dice.

DT.

Rear sunroof seal - heh you’ll be lucky, they are about £35 from a dealer/internet shop and usually no better than the one that’s on. I take it it leaks? Check the drain tube around the sunroof, if that is clear get the silicone out…
Rear sub - scrapper would be your best choice, or a pink velour one from Bibby or Ebay

New parts - I tend to use paddock spares http://www.paddockspares.com/ order online they have a massive stock of gear. If in doubt as to correct part ring them they are usually pretty good.

I would also recommend checking the drain tube nozzle on the sunroof itself where the pipe fits on, as they have a tendency to fracture where they join on the frame.

parked at the right angle the seal doesn’t leak, I think I’m going to simply disconnect switch and put more silicon sealant in there :lol: I’ve been on the roof with the sealant gun already after I found a few gallons of water sat on the luggage cover thing. At least in theory it’s the right time of year … <famous last words>

At least now it can be legally outside the house, things like this are more likely to get fixed rather than having to make the trip to the work car park when it was declared SORN. It was getting to be an effort to get tools and parts there, needed pre-thought and I much prefer to do bits on a whim :smiley:

Done about 25 miles in it so far, and I really need to sort out the loose belt first, makes a lovely noise when the engine is idling :eek:

DT.

Got a couple of blue underbody neons to go with that Sub

cool - that’s a has to be done :cuckoo:

DT.