Latest install.

I’ve been busy! One more floor to go, so I can fit the sub. :slight_smile:

Looks cool m8

What have you put in there then?

If I ever get round to it, I’ll sort out the A4 with some decent kit too, you put it in yourself or get someone to do it?

Oh God, do it myself! You pay through the nose to have kit fitted by an ice dealer.

At the moment…[ul]
[li]JVC KDSH-55 head
[/li][li]Infinity Reference 6500cs components
[/li][li]MTX RTX03 electronic crossover
[/li][li]2 x Vibe VP2 amps
[/li][li]Helix HXA-400 Mk2 amp
[/li][li]RF 2210 DVC sub
[/li][/ul]

2awg power cable, audio cables by Autoleads/Gale/QED.

Just need to build another floor to hide that lot, and fit the sub. Been suggested I should do a floor with perspex windows so you can see the kit, but I’m undecided.

I just got the Helix amp this week, upgrade from a Rockford I was using previous. German company, built like the preverbial, and sounds gorgeous. I’ll eventually replace the two Vibe’s for Helix, being German they suit the Audi. :slight_smile:

If you ever want any tips, or even a hand, just give us a shout.

Brave man! Fitting ICE is a bit fiddly for me, I get frustrated too easily. Just need to take my time I spose.

Boot of the A4 is cavernous, looking forward to getting some stuff in there. Still need to find a way of replacing the double DIN Audi Symphony crap though.

Careful, perspex window can look very tatty. Needs to be kept sparkling. I’d prefer to hide them away meself. If you’re going to leave anything in view, make it the cone of the sub, and make it coverable. That’d be my advice.

I’ve a alpine head and 6 disk MP3 changer to go in there. M8 reckons that a Audi Single DIN and a Halfords universal DIN pocket could be made to fit. Not so sure myself.

Aye, take your time. It’s not difficult, so long as you’re methodical. Boot’s about the same size as the 90 I think. Main problem you’ll face is getting the bass out of the boot and into the car, but there are ways, some more expensive than others. Just don’t fit 6x9’s…

You should’ve come to the ice show in Oxfordshire earlier this month. This dude had an A4 with an install to die for, more money than sense, but you should’ve heard it. Beautiful. Horn tweeters, Image Dynamics IDMAX 10’s in aperiodic membrane enclosures…yum!

I’ll ask him about the facia.

So just been looking up the kit, seems a nice setup, a bit unsure what you’re using to drive the sub though?

You using the bridged Helix?

Originally posted by Bibby
[B]Main problem you’ll face is getting the bass out of the boot and into the car, but there are ways, some more expensive than others. Just don’t fit 6x9’s…

You should’ve come to the ice show in Oxfordshire earlier this month. This dude had an A4 with an install to die for, more money than sense, but you should’ve heard it. Beautiful. Horn tweeters, Image Dynamics IDMAX 10’s in aperiodic membrane enclosures…yum!

I’ll ask him about the facia. [/B]

Yeah, Suckers built too well :slight_smile: Don’t think the 200W infinity will do it this time like it did in the FTO.

That looks a very nice install. And thanks for asking about the facia. Once that’s sorted I can go shopping. Get the alpine kit in then start building around it.

The Helix is running the front comps active…one channel for each tweeter/woofer rather than as a pair through a passive crossover.

The VP2’s drive the sub. It’s a 4ohm DVC (dual voice coil)…so you can run it with one amp at 8ohm or 2ohm, or use an amp to drive each coil, 4ohm each. This configuration gives me 300W RMS per coil. :slight_smile:

It’s not a hideously expensive setup, but it sounds superb. Half the battle is a good installation ie: soundproofing, right cables etc. You can spend a fortune on the best kit, but it doesn’t mean it’ll sound great.

In the Audi coupe I had a 15" sub, which was overkill, so I upgraded to a better qualty 10". Perfect…nice and tight/punchy, but dropped when it had to.

Now it’s in the 90, I’ve added an extra amp to drive it, and modded the parcel shelf to let the sound out…removed the carpeted tray, cut it away except for the edges, then retrimmed in acoustic cloth. Also removed the trim from behind the ski-hatch and trimmed with acoustic cloth.

I haven’t had chance to try the sub yet since these mods, been busy getting the boot done. Will find out if it’s enough once the floors finished.

If not, it’ll be time to build a ported box…then more subs. :slight_smile:

Originally posted by Bibby
The VP2’s drive the sub. It’s a 4ohm DVC (dual voice coil)…so you can run it with one amp at 8ohm or 2ohm, or use an amp to drive each coil, 4ohm each. This configuration gives me 300W RMS per coil. :slight_smile:

Aha! That what I thought you were using the Helix to do.

So how many speakers inside the car? The A4 has 10, 2 in each of the doors (your infinities look good) and 2 in the parcel shelf (will come out).

Thinking something like the helix with passive crossovers, then just the sub. Was thinking twin 10’s or 12’s to get it into the car proper.

10 speakers? Oh my life, lol…:smiley:

To be honest…I’d go for comps in the front (bigger the better, 6.5" mids will kick really well, and help get the bass up front), sub/s in boot, and that’s it. You don’t need any more than that. Doorbuilds are the key.

Speakers in the rear defeat the object in my opinion. When you listen to a band, it’s coming from in front. Rear speakers just drag the soundstage behind you, when it should be in front.

Twin 10"s is an idea I’m toying with if the parcel shelf mods and extra amp don’t work as well as I’m expecting. 12"s are a good idea if you have a very varied music tase.

The Infinity’s are a bargain! They sound great passive with about 100W RMS in them. :slight_smile:

That’s true, I was worrying about sounds in the back for passengers.

Sod em :smiley:

Will you be at Mojos? Can have a listen then.

Corse if I’m that not worried about passengers, I could get a couple of 600W free subs and with a dremel get them firing directly into the car through the back seats :devil:

Not sure if I’ll be making Mojos this time. I may have to cover at work, but I’ll have a go at getting off. If I can then of course, listen at your leisure… :slight_smile:

Oh, where’s the fuel tank on the A4, is it still in the boot behind the rear seats (like mine :frowning: )or under the floor?

If you’ve nothing behind the rear seats, and you have a ski-hatch, you should be laughing…you can fire a sub through the ski-hatch. :smiley:

Ooh, just read you mentioned free-air subs. There isn’t strictly a sub that you can use with an infinite baffle…hence the aperiodic membrane enclosures this guy used. Mega-bucks.

Ported enclosures will give you loud bass, sealed enclosures are more sound quality than SPL, but can handle more power. Depends what kind of sound you want ultimately.

Not sure where the fuel tank is but it’s not behind the seats. That’s what I meant about cavernous boot. It’s massive! Could get twin 12’s and still sleep in there.

Dunno if I have a ski hatch. Have to check.

While you’re asking your m8 about the fascia, ask him about a Audi -> Universal connection adapter so I can plug the Alpine into the Audi’s wiring loom if you would?

Really need to get myself sorted :slight_smile:

You can buy the wiring harnesses from most good online ICE retailers…Maystar make them.

If you’re going to do a full proper install, I’d suggest not touching the Audi wiring anyway. Fit a dedicated fused power supply from the battery to the HU, and a fresh earth. It’s the only sure way to avoid noise. Route new half-decent speaker cable (will have to run from the boot anyway), and you’ll have to fit rca’s too…plus power for the amps. It’s a seats-out-carpet-up job…my neighbours think I’m crazy the amount of times they’ve seen my car seats on front of the house. :slight_smile:

Your boot sounds like the one my Toledo had…went on forever! Think I had a 15" sub in that one. :smiley:

Looks good :), I could easily be enticed into something similar.

The E34 M5 boot is hooooooge.

M5? Hubba hubba, me wants a play in it. :smiley:

Ciccio, spoke to the guy about the fascia…his came with a single din, although he’d have preferred the double! You could always fit something like a line driver, crossover or equaliser in the spare slot!

His advice was to get in touch with a quality ice dealer such as SQ+, or even Autoleads. One of them should be able to point you in the right direction. Someone will make one though I’m sure.

I’ve had a chat with Phil at SQ+, seems like a top bloke. I’ve mailed him photos and details, and have to give them a ring Tuesday.

Here’s hoping!

If not I’ll have to arrange a trip to Manchester!