LifeMapper News - 30th June 2003

LifeMapper Team Progress
As of 10:00am BST

A little earlier today as I am home looking after my 4yr old. Jeez they learn quick, 2 hours ago she had a temperature, now she has made a miraculous recovery:eek:

Today see Team Phoenix Rising :stomp: another two places up the charts and with the second highest output of the day. The Possums also manage a two place :stomp: to stay just out of reach and have the highest output for the day…but I don’t think that is going to be the story tomorrow;)

Top 20 Teams

1 Beta Testers............................77632 (0)
 2 KUNHM Informatics.......................72370 (95)
 3 PathFinder Science......................54886 (28)
 4 UMB.....................................53282 (107)
 5 Rechenkraft.net - Germany...............28817 (322)
 6 BBR.....................................22140 (356)
 7 Uncleaned...............................17329 (1020)
 8 The Possums.............................11470 (1454)
 9 SDSC....................................11047 (26)
[b]10 Team Phoenix Rising.....................10696 (1382)[/b]
11 CRIA Informatics........................10421 (4)
12 TeAm AnandTech...........................9547 (143)
13 Scott's Group............................8500 (0)
14 Ars Technica.............................7987 (70)
15 The Tards................................5533 (182)
16 PLasticStudios [Team KDFold].............5025 (192)
17 On Arrival...............................4817 (0)
18 Russia...................................3276 (66)
19 CNIP.....................................3266 (0)
20 Free-DC..................................3219 (0)

New Recruits
Welcome to a GAteKeeper.

Leavers
None as it should be.

Research Dons

1 Alta Rica....................................307
 2 tpr-wolf.....................................281
 3 Jeff.........................................223
 4 MAOJC........................................178
 5 barcode......................................94
 6 Mulda........................................69
 7 kraut........................................45
 8 [TPR] Goody600...............................42
 9 Curly99......................................40
10 PMM..........................................24

Nothing much new to report here today, seems we might have hit the limits of peoples resources. Will the end of the Guantlet tonight make a difference:chin:

Research Dons Weekly

1 Jeff.........................................1456
 2 Alta Rica....................................1262
 3 tpr-wolf.....................................1186
 4 barcode......................................721
 5 MAOJC........................................595
 6 TPR_Mojo.....................................434
 7 [TPR] Goody600...............................247
 8 Mulda........................................236
 9 Curly99......................................235
10 kraut........................................219

A new section today, let me know if you would like it to stay and if so, weekly only or rolling 7 days?

Jeff has an impressive week but Alta Rica has only been with us for 5 days and already takes 2nd highest. Pretty tight at the bottom(Mincer!) and it is there I think the movements will be;)

Total Research Completed

1 Jeff.........................................2432
 2 tpr-wolf.....................................1269
 3 Alta Rica....................................1262
 4 barcode......................................1095
 5 TPR_Mojo.....................................1040
 6 MAOJC........................................895
 7 kraut........................................846
 8 Curly99......................................420
 9 Mulda........................................263
10 [TPR] Goody600...............................247
11 DoubleTop....................................173
12 Bob-A-Job....................................167
13 gizmo........................................130
14 preecey......................................129
15 PMM..........................................120
16 ReikiMaster..................................99
17 HairyMonster.................................58
18 GAteKeeper...................................18
19 brucie.......................................15
20 bachus anonymous.............................6
21 wooyento.....................................6

I guess it’s true what they say, that wolves can run for ever and a day as tpr-wolf continues to lope up the corridor, passing barcode and TPR_Mojo deep in discussion to take 2nd…Will he be stopped by the heavy wooden door of The Principal’s office?

Alta Rica still seems to have one hand on wolf’s tail, whilst the other firmly closes the door behind him to ensure 3rd from the rather animated discussion between TPR_Mojo and barcode.

Ahh! It wasn’t a discussion, it was an argument between barcode and TPR_Mojo about who has the strongest magic to take up 2nd place…too late…barcode wins the argument but has to settle for 4th and await his turn again.

MAOJC gets some r&r and picks up a tome or two to pass the time. Learning a new language, he impresses kraut so much that they swap offices giving the Major the best of the 3 windowed offices in 6th.

Mulda finds anomolies in the files and proves that cats don’t grow to 600’ tall, displacing the myth that was TPR Goody600 and takes up 9th place.

The furry one that is gizmo, shows why you shouldn’t drink after midnight and as preecey stumbles home from his birthday bash, he slips. Revenge is sweet as the furry one basks in the warm light of day at 13th.

PMM puts some moves on the ReikiMaster to win 15th.

And finally, the warden aka GAteKeeper shows that all the noise has disturbed him to distraction so he locks out brucie, bachus anonymous and wooyento:devil:

Great read Bob-A-Job, thanks. And the more stats the better :slight_smile:

:cheers:

Top report Bob! Thanks for the news, mate! :thumbsup:

Looks like I was totally denied my second place :frowning:

Can’t wait for the CLI for Windows or Linux.

Thanks for the news, top job!

I think 7 day rolling is a more interesting stat, although I appreciate it maybe more work.

Originally posted by goody600
[B]Great read Bob-A-Job, thanks. And the more stats the better :slight_smile:

:cheers: [/B]

Thanks.

More stats you say:chin:

I have been thinking about this one for some time, reminded to me by Len and the Gauntlet Stats but slightly simpler.

Basically, everybody puts in their bit to whatever DC project they take part in. In some teams, you can still get recognition without having to spend a fortune or being fortunate enough to have massive resources at your disposal. Even the cost of single computer upgrades to faster processors, memory and motherboards can be a significant investment and can make just as significant an improvement but imo doesn’t always get the recognition it deserves. I think this is why some people get to a point where they feel their contribution just isn’t significant anymore and either quit or move to other teams (one of the reasons I came here;) )

This won’t solve the problem but might help a little to keep people interested by appealing to their vanity in allowing them to see their name in print a bit more often and as a way of appreciation:shrug:

Basically, production today as a percentage of total yesterday.

Top Performers

[b]
 1 Mulda........................................26.24%
 2 Alta Rica....................................24.33%
 3 tpr-wolf.....................................22.14%
 4 PMM..........................................20.00%
 5 MAOJC........................................19.89%
 6 HairyMonster.................................17.24%
 7 [TPR] Goody600...............................17.00%
 8 gizmo........................................13.08%
 9 Bob-A-Job....................................11.38%
10 Curly99......................................9.52%[/b]
11 Jeff.........................................9.17%
12 barcode......................................8.58%
13 preecey......................................6.98%
14 brucie.......................................6.67%
15 kraut........................................5.32%
16 DoubleTop....................................1.16%
17 TPR_Mojo.....................................0.38%
18 bachus anonymous.............................0.00%
19 ReikiMaster..................................0.00%
20 wooyento.....................................0.00%
21 GAteKeeper...................................New and not shown

Would probably just show the Top 10 as is usual in these things:shrug:

Anybody any thoughts?

w00tage a :devil: on my first outing.

ta for the news Bob.

GAteKeeper

top news again m8ey :smiley:

mmmm…a :stomp: on preecey :smiley: now who’s next? :moon:

Originally posted by Bob-A-Job
[B]

Anybody any thoughts? [/B]

Now that’s an excellent stat - I think it’s very worth putting it in. I think that a top-10 might not have the effect you want because it will just list the daily big hitters again, but it’s certainly a stomp in the right direction.

With the 20ish members of lifemapper, it will work, but with the 500ish members for seti, it’s a waste of effort (reason above).

But I haven’t got a better idea.

Thanks for the news, Bob-A-Job :thumbsup:

It is easier to acknowledge everyone’s production at the moment, because we are a fairly small team. As the team grows, it will become more difficult. Perhaps a table showing fluctuations in individuals’ production would help - as those performing any upgrades/tweaking/reallocation of resources would show an increase in their production, and those with lower with lower productions will show the most significant variations.

e.g. If I produce 10 a day, perform an upgrade etc and now produce 15 a day that is a 50% increase
If I produce 340 a day, perform and upgrade etc and now produce 374 a day that is a 10% increase

However, we should always stress that everyone is valued whether they are active or inactive, produce 1 a day or 340 :slight_smile:

The other thing is to recognise each persons landmarks appropriately. If you were to mark each century for me then it would be meaningless. However, to someone who produces a few a day a century is a decent landmark.

THX for the news.

They have been great and you are still improving them. Top job.

My thoughts about more stats?
How about the quickest freefall w/o stopping to crunch? (That would be me:D)

Top news Bob :slight_smile:

Curly

Originally posted by Alta Rica
[B]It is easier to acknowledge everyone’s production at the moment, because we are a fairly small team. As the team grows, it will become more difficult. Perhaps a table showing fluctuations in individuals’ production would help - as those performing any upgrades/tweaking/reallocation of resources would show an increase in their production, and those with lower with lower productions will show the most significant variations.

e.g. If I produce 10 a day, perform an upgrade etc and now produce 15 a day that is a 50% increase
If I produce 340 a day, perform and upgrade etc and now produce 374 a day that is a 10% increase

However, we should always stress that everyone is valued whether they are active or inactive, produce 1 a day or 340 :slight_smile:

The other thing is to recognise each persons landmarks appropriately. If you were to mark each century for me then it would be meaningless. However, to someone who produces a few a day a century is a decent landmark. [/B]

Change in daily average
I had thought of that and wondered if anybody would think of it too:thumbsup: which is why I put the weekly figures in today. I think that if a weekly figure was used as a total for seven days, then upgrades/loss of machine would show up quicker and more consistantly. The figure would actually be meaningful;)

It is the everyone being valued that I was trying to get to. This is in part in response to MOJO’s temporary move over to seti and just leaving a single cruncher to run Lifemapper. I didn’t want his and anybody elses continued participation to appear insignificant, for the very reason, it is not!:nod:

This all works atm but will need some revision if caching becomes available as that could/would make the weekly figure unusable.

Landmarks
Now that I had been thinking about too as it would be another nice feature to recognise continuous achievements no matter how fast or slow, large or small:nod:

I had thought about using the Seti Landmarks but in view of the significantly reduced time to process a Job, I feel that the scale could use some adjustment:chin:

Thoughts required on that one please :-

I would also like some way of offering a Lifemapper Certificate to back that up but here I run into problems.

1. I don’t have a website to host it.
  2. I wouldn’t have the skill to write something that would accept/capture a user name and have access to the achievement being certificated.
  3. I think it would require permission of Lifemapper to use logo’s and images etc for the watermark. This I had thought of asking Lifemapper if they have anything planned as Certificates could always be downloaded retrospectively.

Anymore for anymore?

@HairyMonster - I see your point but I think that no matter how many members you have, the daily average/percentage, whatever it is called would always tend to focus on the other end of the scale and it is the bighitters that would disappear because unless they continue to increase daily quantity in line with their current total, their percentage increase of the whole would get smaller and smaller.

“I’ll be back” later to see what else we can do/think of.

I see your point but I think that no matter how many members you have, the daily average/percentage, whatever it is called would always tend to focus on the other end of the scale and it is the bighitters that would disappear because unless they continue to increase daily quantity in line with their current total, their percentage increase of the whole would get smaller and smaller.

It might be my faulty maths, but that doesn’t compute with me.

Say there’s 100,000 total units per day, and the big hitters are chucking out 1000 units/day, and the single-crunchers are chucking out 10 units per day (just arbitrary figures), then the big hitters would be listed as producing 1% of the total, the single-crunchers as 0.01%. Over time as more people sign up, the percentages will just get a bit smaller, but the positioning in the table will be the same.

An idea - an amalgamation of both sets of stats. Alta Rica’s suggestion (which I’d just basically reiterated, so I’ve edited it out) will show up the lower end of the spectrum - those with only 1 machine - and your %ages showing the top end of the spectrum - those with zillions of machines.

Or how about “mapper of the day”?

It’s a very difficult one, but continued thrashing of the subject should produce a good scheme.

Ah, I haven’t made the figures clear, my fault, sorry.

It is each individuals return against their total that I am using.

So, somebody with 1000 does a 100/day, their percentage is 10%, tomorrow it will be less if they still do 100 as it is now out of 1100…etc.

Somebody joins and does 5/day, on day 2, they have 5 from day one and do 5 more = 100%, tomorrow they still do 5 but now out of 10 and so are down to 50%…and so on.

Then somebody who is doing 5/day reaches 100 = 2%, they then add another machine also doing 5 or upgrade their current one for 5 more a day…so it is now 10/day from their 100 total, percentage is back up to 10%.

Each individual will produce between 0% (stopped) and 100% (output matches current total) but without continual and ultimately unsustainable upgrades/resources, the percentages would be ever diminishing but always favouring away from the bighitters…I think:chin:

Does that help?

Aha! Yup. Clearer!

In that case, then both stats are required - the big hitters and the ones you’re proposing.

Perhaps your stats as a percentage of the individual’s rolling week return might be better, as then the %ages will still be relatively high over time so you won’t end up with people at 0.0xx%. I think this will favour those who are comitted - ie those with constant output, but I may be wrong as my brain is beginning to melt :rolleyes:

Originally posted by HairyMonster
…stats as a percentage of the individual’s rolling week return might be better…

Yep, I see that and that is possibly even better;)

Percentages could be above 100% but I have no problem with that and the minimum would be 14.2% for a consistant production over a 7 day period…

What am I missing or has The Hairy one :hail: hit the nail on the head?

/edit…it would look like this, based on todays numbers:

1 GAteKeeper...................................100.00%
 2 PMM..........................................35.29%
 3 MAOJC........................................29.92%
 4 Mulda........................................29.24%
 5 gizmo........................................25.37%
 6 Alta Rica....................................24.33%
 7 tpr-wolf.....................................23.69%
 8 HairyMonster.................................23.26%
 9 kraut........................................20.55%
10 Curly99......................................17.02%
11 [TPR] Goody600...............................17.00%
12 Jeff.........................................15.32%
13 Bob-A-Job....................................13.77%
14 barcode......................................13.04%
15 preecey......................................8.74%
16 brucie.......................................6.67%
17 DoubleTop....................................3.64%
18 TPR_Mojo.....................................0.92%
19 bachus anonymous.............................0.00%
20 ReikiMaster..................................0.00%
21 wooyento.....................................0.00%

Above 14.2% is an increase, below is a decrease…

[B]I would also like some way of offering a Lifemapper Certificate to back that up but here I run into problems.

1. I don’t have a website to host it.
  2. I wouldn’t have the skill to write something that would accept/capture a user name and have access to the achievement being certificated.
  3. I think it would require permission of Lifemapper to use logo’s and images etc for the watermark. This I had thought of asking Lifemapper if they have anything planned as Certificates could always be downloaded retrospectively.
    [/B]

teamphoenixrising.de/lifemapper ?
lifemapper.de (was still free some days ago) ?

Certificates/sigcounter:
Maybe one of our sigcounter freaks (barcode?) could offer some code we could adopt for this case?

[B]Yep, I see that and that is possibly even better;)

Percentages could be above 100% but I have no problem with that and the minimum would be 14.2% for a consistant production over a 7 day period…

What am I missing or has The Hairy one :hail: hit the nail on the head? [/B]

Take a 7 days average. 100% (or 1.0) will be constant production, 200% is production doubled.
Better: Take 2 weeks. First week makes the basic average, second week makes the new average. New average / basic average = increase of production.
Daily production may vary too much, so building an average over 1 week will balance it better.

looks good too me :slight_smile:

P.S. the team is now 9th :wink:

Originally posted by PMM
P.S. the team is now 9th :wink:

That was expected. :smiley:
The surprise was: I didn’t got :stomp:ed again. :eek: