Modem/Router Settings

Hi need some information about setting up my first home wireless DSL Modem/router network.

I think i will be ok setting up the the home network with just 2 pc’s. The problem will be the modem settings.
My ISP is Orange, and the combined modem/router is netgear. What information from orange do I require to put into the router to get internet access??? ie IP address ,DNS server number,NAT number,Account name,Passwords

I assume that Orange doesn’t supply a static IP address so how does the router know what IP address to use for the internet if its Dynamic…

Apologies for my ignorance in this.

What model Netgear router?

There is a wizard you can run to setup your modem/router in the netgear router (usually 192.168.0.1 to access it, log on password is in the user manual), run it once and make a note of all the questions it asks then ask Orange for the answers!

And the top tip of the day is make sure theres no laptops running Vista and wireless within range.
If there is Vista tries to connect to the router and prevents you opening the admin page from your PC.

Found this out the hard way
:rolleyes:

[QUOTE=KefKef;368908]What model Netgear router?

There is a wizard you can run to setup your modem/router in the netgear router (usually 192.168.0.1 to access it, log on password is in the user manual), run it once and make a note of all the questions it asks then ask Orange for the answers![/QUOTE]

Netgear would be user=admin, no password generally for new kit. If there is a password I’d bet its “password”.

And the percentage of domestic wireless routers still running in that configuration? In the seventies I would think… :wink:

Username - admin
Password - password

Here’s a list

http://www.fulton.net.au/qt006.htm

Your settings are here
Netgear modem/routers normally detect most of the settings required by using the wizard. except the password and user name for your account, but you should already know them .