Moving SETI@home to BOINC

And another post from Karl Chen

There has been a “ask before running new executableS” option for a while but it wasn’t complete. The next version will have it completely implemented.

IMO this makes some progress on the Trojan front but I don’t know how this will work if BOINC is set up as a hidden service.

October 18, 2003
A SETI@home application has been added to the beta test. The scheduling server detect results that can’t be sent to any hosts, and flags them. HTTP 404 errors on downloads are treated as unrecoverable. Graphics can be limited by frame rate or percent of CPU. Don’t send two results from the same workunit to a single user. Added JPEG support to application graphics. Added “confirm before accept executable” mechanism.

Hit me

Sir Ulli

update

So what i know, on Monday can all BOINC Beta Users test the BOINC@SAH client.

Sir Ulli

To: “Boinc list”
Cc:
Subject: [Boinc-beta] BOINC 2.05; Astropulse; SETI@home
Date: 10/20/03 5:25:55 PM

We’ve released BOINC 2.05; you can download at:
»setiboinc.ssl.berkeley.edu/ap/download…[?]

Astropulse 2.05 will be released soon (you won’t have to do
anything to upgrade Astropulse)

SETI@home/BOINC will be released soon (you won’t have to do
anything to start crunching SETI@Home)

Karl

Karl Chen 2003-10-20 17:19

Sir Ulli

BOINC v2.06 is out

Still no Seti at home BOINC on the horizon.

Originally posted by Sir Ulli
[B]From: “Karl Chen”
To: “Boinc list”
Cc:
Subject: [Boinc-beta] BOINC 2.05; Astropulse; SETI@home
Date: 10/20/03 5:25:55 PM

We’ve released BOINC 2.05; you can download at:
»setiboinc.ssl.berkeley.edu/ap/download…[?]

Astropulse 2.05 will be released soon (you won’t have to do
anything to upgrade Astropulse)

SETI@home/BOINC will be released soon (you won’t have to do
anything to start crunching SETI@Home)

Karl

Karl Chen 2003-10-20 17:19

Sir Ulli [/B]

“you won’t have to do
anything to upgrade Astropulse”

“you won’t have to do
anything to start crunching SETI@Home”

:scared: … going to check my firewall … :scared:

I know that SETI 1 isn’t flawless, but, as they are only changing the part of the sky that they are looking at, ie, the Southern Hemisphere, rather than the Northern Hemisphere, why don’t they keep the same sort of principle that they have now, rather than change to a completely different system, ie, BOINC?

OK, so none of us has so far detected a signal. Is that our fault? No.

Maybe if they carried on with SETI 1, but changed to a different part of the sky, such as where scientists have detected Extra Solar Planets, then maybe we would have a chance of finding, or rather detecting something.

It really peeves me to read that everything will be starting again from zero, team wise and personal wise. It’s taken me over three years to do 990 odd WU’s, what about the people that have done a lot more than me? Have they dedicated all that computer time for nothing?

BTW Len, my firewall is running fine and dandy.

There is a saying here in England that works well with those lot at Borkeley. It’s loads of brains and NO COMMON SENSE.

The major advantage of BOINC is that it can crunch eight bit signals in addition to the two bit signals SETI one crunches. They would like to change out the detector to an eight bit one when they have a way to get the data analyzed.

The other purpose of BOINC is data can be more easily configured to run on it. That will open the door to analysis from other sources including non SETI distributed computing projects.

I hope they do keep SETI one for that data it can handle rather than migrate it all to BOINC. We’ll have to see if they have the resources to continue the data preparation work to feed the SETI one clients.

davepet
As was shown earlier on in the post :p;) ,the S@H1 stats will not be zeroed out ,and they will be available for show :slight_smile:

Having nearly 25k of WUs myself you’d bet I’d be p*ssed off if there was no sign of that!:eek:

Just the S@H2 stats will start from zero ,fair enough seeing as its very different from S@H1

Originally posted by Assimilator1
[B]davepet
As was shown earlier on in the post :p;) ,the S@H1 stats will not be zeroed out ,and they will be available for show :slight_smile:

Having nearly 25k of WUs myself you’d bet I’d be p*ssed off if there was no sign of that!:eek:

Just the S@H2 stats will start from zero ,fair enough seeing as its very different from S@H1 [/B]

Cheers for that Assimilator1, I’d obviously miss read that part of the post, I just saw zero and thought WOOOAAAAHHH hold on a minute here, and then me fingers did the talkin’.

lol :slight_smile:

Pasted from the Astropulse BOINC forum.
Looks like SEI 2 beta has started at last. :slight_smile:

I’ve gotten the first series of seti work. There is a problem. Each one runs for a few seconds then aborts. Here is a snippet from stderr.txt.

Astropulse Beta: Unrecoverable error for result 02mr00ab.20583.112.859632.4_3 (process exited with a non-zero exit code)
Astropulse Beta: Unrecoverable error for result 02mr00ab.20583.112.859632.190_2 (process exited with a non-zero exit code)
Astropulse Beta: Unrecoverable error for result 02mr00ab.20583.112.859632.187_0 (process exited with a non-zero exit code)

LOL :rolleyes:

Just as well I’ve not got any units assigned to me yet. :smiley:

Anyone got any WU times from S@H2 yet?

from the BOINC Mailing list

On Friday 24 October 2003 06:08 pm, David Anderson wrote:
> As you’re probably aware, there were problems with the
> SETI@home work units we sent out today.
> They may put the application into an infinite loop,
> in which case you should “Reset Project” to get rid of them.
> Eric Korpela is currently hard at work fixing this problem,
> and we should be producing correct work units soon.
>
> David

also the the SAH-Client is disabled,

Link

Sir Ulli

it is a shame, the have a working Client 2.06, and than this 2.07 and 2.08 are not running, only a lot of Errors, i hope that they solve the problem soon.

Sir Ulli

finally SAH on BOINC is running:cool:

Sir Ulli

[B]finally SAH on BOINC is running:cool:

Sir Ulli [/B]

Is it still beta ? I guess so

yes it is still beta, Account Creation is still disabled, and only to use for the Beta tester, but it is working so i hope that they will open the Beta Doors soon.

Sir Ulli

[B]finally SAH on BOINC is running:cool:

Sir Ulli [/B]

Great to see the beta finally start but I’m not too thrilled with the times though.
Maybe unrepresentative but my first Seti 2 WU took 2:55 on a machine that was previously turning out Seti 1 units at 2:05. :frowning:

What are your times like Ulli.

my times, on an P4 3.0 4:27, and an on Athlon XP running at 11.5 x 200 on an Nforce Mobo 4:03, that is very slow, the Nforce normally use 2:15 for a WU in Seti Classic.

if anyone is interested with the new Graphics, Confused from Team Anandtech have made a little Video

low Quality 10.3 MB Link

High Quality 38.3 MB Link

to look with XviD/DivX Codec,
Codec Link

looks very nice:cool:

Sir Ulli