Network Turn On?

is it possible to send a signal down a network to turn on all the computers on? or atleast a certain computer???

WOL, wake on lan. You need a nic that supports that though.

the motherboards do. but how do u send the signal?

couple usefull links http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article04-101
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake-on-LAN

well, my built in network card is ment to have it, but i cant “network icon” control panel, and i have no idea how to turn “network neibourhood” back on…

you may need to turn the WOL option on in bios then most dont have it on by defult

Steve, do you know of any scripts that I can run via shceduled tasks to WOL a computer and then one that can be run to shut it down at a specified time.

The reason for asking is that I’ve got FAH installed on a machine here as a client. Would like to start the machine after the user leaves for the day, then shut it down before they return in the morning.

P51 Try Foldingatwork.

http://fahwiki.net/index.php/FoldingAtWork

The users tend to shut the computer off when they leave. Would like to use a script to use the WOL to start the computer up at say 6 pm. Would then like to run another script at say 6:30 am to shut it off.

Being a little sneaky here in that they wouldn’t even know the computer had been running all night. I really don’t want them coming to me and saying “I turned my computer off when I left, but now it’s on again when I get here in the morning. What’s going on with it?”

If not, then I’ll just have to settle with the 8 hours or so it runs during the day. They are a P4 3.4 GHz with HT but only running one instance of FAH. This way, they don’t even notice it running. On my work machine, I’ve got two instances running, but I can tell it from the lag every now and then.

Ah I get you. Not sure. Is it possible to use a bacth file to turn the machine off?

try the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake-on-LAN
sight that i also listed above there are scripts and programs listed there that might work for u

as for shutdown u can use the task scheduler to make a task to use the shutdown.exe file at a set time to shut the system down

Shutdown Allows you to shut down or restart a local or remote computer. Used without parameters, shutdown will logoff the current user.

Syntax
shutdown [{-l|-s|-r|-a}] [-f] [-m [\ComputerName]] [-t xx] [-c “message”] [-d[u][p]:xx:yy]

Parameters
-l
Logs off the current user, this is also the default. -m ComputerName takes precedence.
-s
Shuts down the local computer.
-r
Reboots after shutdown.
-a
Aborts shutdown. Ignores other parameters, except -l and ComputerName. You can only use -a during the time-out period.
-f
Forces running applications to close.
-m [\ComputerName]
Specifies the computer that you want to shut down.
-t xx
Sets the timer for system shutdown in xx seconds. The default is 20 seconds.
-c “message”
Specifies a message to be displayed in the Message area of the System Shutdown window. You can use a maximum of 127 characters. You must enclose the message in quotation marks.
-d [u][p]:xx:yy
Lists the reason code for the shutdown. The following table lists the different values. Value Description
u Indicates a user code.
p Indicates a planned shutdown code.
xx Specifies the major reason code (0-255).
yy Specifies the minor reason code (0-65536).

/?
Displays help at the command prompt.
Remarks
If you indicate a major and minor reason code, you must first define these reason codes on each computer for which you plan to use the particular reason. If the reason codes are not defined on the target computer, Event Viewer cannot log the correct reason text.
Examples
To shut down \MyServer in 60 seconds, force running applications to close, restart the computer after shutdown, indicate a user code, indicate that the shutdown is planned, log major reason code 125, and log minor reason code 1, type:

shutdown -r -f -m \MyServer -t 60 -d up:125:1

Formatting legend
Format Meaning
Italic Information that the user must supply
Bold Elements that the user must type exactly as shown
Ellipsis (…) Parameter that can be repeated several times in a command line
Between brackets ([]) Optional items
Between braces ({}); choices separated by pipe (|). Example: {even|odd} Set of choices from which the user must choose only one
Courier font Code or program output

Cool!!

You know, we have one person here that always manages to find a way to screw up something on thier computer and comes running to me to fix it. Should have heard them when I tried out that shutdown command on thier computer.:devil: They came complaining to me that that hadn’t done anything, but the computer just suddenly shut down on them. Almost couldn’t keep a straight face about it.:smiley:

Finally was able to track down a command line program to wake up the client computer with just the mac address of the ethernet card. Other one I thought would work wanted the IP address of the machine and subnet mask. Kind of hard to get the IP address of the machine when it changes due to DHCP.

i used to have scripts that would log the machines switching on and off. That way I had a list of PCs that had been shutdown (of course it couldn’t accomodate PCs that weren’t shutdown gracefully).
Logged their IPs and MACs ina DHCP environment.

Handy for waking up PCs to deploy patches and updates.
http://www.depicus.com/wake-on-lan/woli.aspx