No activity from new mobo(s)

Already there Curly!! (glugs bottle of Spitfire real ale) :glug:

I’m still looking for the 939 gear I really want, but it’s getting hard to find what I’m after :rolleyes:

Might have to go the AM2 route also, so … after a couple of days running yours - what are your impressions so far Droid ?

edit and which version is your MSI mobo ? I’m looking at a couple as “probably”

Once it was up and running under XP I was quite impressed by the speed, quietness and cool running. I know its cold out, but even running and doing work, it never got above 31`C. I didn’t run any benchies as my niece was deperate for a PC to link to her new printer (the old one was rejected by the software as too slow - too true), so that she could print out her homework.

But just general page to page jumping through Open Office Writer, setting up software, all worked very well and very fast. I only put in a single 512mb 533mhz RAM chip, as she won’t need any more in the short term, but it perfomed very well. It’s a darn sight faster than this lovely old Althon XP2200 that I’m writing on, so I’m probably going to upgrade to one myself.

/EDIT the Mobo is a K9VGM-V from DABS

I’d highly advise a beefier PSU to be honest if a simple thing like 1 extra
floppy drive is enough to cause a power failure than I would say over time
its doomed to failure anyway when its gives up from being over stressed
and it may give up and take everything with it.

hehe, still on the XP2400 here myself, so I guess almost anything will out-perform it :slight_smile: I guess I may be a little over cautious about AM2, all the retailers seem to be dropping most 939 stuff :frowning:

Currently hoping “her indoors” will agree to me spending a few quid on the next phase of PC technology, I’ve had this Chaintech Apogee a few years now :wink:

SKT 939 idea: MSI nForce 4 + the A64 3700 San Diego
AM2 idea: MSI K9N Ultra nForce 570 + AM2 3800

I’ll then require a PCI-E GFX card, and also DDR2 memory if I go AM2 - not to mention a better (suitable) PSU - another £50 :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=PMM;363060]I’d highly advise a beefier PSU to be honest if a simple thing like 1 extra
floppy drive is enough to cause a power failure than I would say over time
its doomed to failure anyway when its gives up from being over stressed
and it may give up and take everything with it.[/QUOTE]

The PSU in the case has the fan outlet at the back along with the switch and power lead plug, all the replacements I’ve seen have the fan in the top. Can you suggest a suitable one that I could just replace the original one with and what wattage you would suggest as a minimum please?

[QUOTE=wolram;363061]hehe, still on the XP2400 here myself, so I guess almost anything will out-perform it :slight_smile: I guess I may be a little over cautious about AM2, all the retailers seem to be dropping most 939 stuff :frowning:

Currently hoping “her indoors” will agree to me spending a few quid on the next phase of PC technology, I’ve had this Chaintech Apogee a few years now :wink:

I’ll then require a PCI-E GFX card, and also DDR2 memory if I go AM2 - not to mention a better (suitable) PSU - another £50 :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Sounds like a good plan, The on board graphics are OK for basic stuff, but you’ll deffo need to upgrade for gaming, esp. with the games coming out, which are heavy on pixel shaders, shadows, particles, et al.

I think you’ll find the it will have 2 fans one on the bottom and one at the back, prolly the way they are pictured on store/review sites, as for recommandations well go for something around 500 - 600w with good 12v, 5v, 3.3v line/amps from good reputable makers, Enermax, Seasonic, Hipper and Tagan to name 4 [b]HERES[/b] a psu calculator that might help in determining how big a psu you might need.

Curly

[QUOTE=Droid;362863]Found a better solution by playing with the attachments. I can use the CD player and HD together, but not with the Floppy, so I disconnected it and turned it off in the bios. Works OK and everything has enough power.

[/QUOTE]

Beer is much more useful than a floppy drive in this day & age I find :slight_smile:

ColorsIt is the maker of the case I used. Do you think the PSU would be suitabel for it?
ColorosIt PSU

Stay well clear of that one :eek: but its is very hard to advise because yes its more money and yes alot of people will want to pay the minimum.

Unfortunantly and in my view I would not spend less than £50 ex vat the stuff I’d happily myself go with is in that £50ex vat to £70inc vat range knowing i’m getting a decent supply in the 480w to 600w range and alot of PSU’s fall into that pricing.

Good brands I’d have to say are Enermax / Seasonic / Antec / Fortron also know as FSP / Hiper / OCZ Technology / Sparkle / Tagan / Thermaltake ToughPower / Vantec.

To quote one’s own experience with a do not buy 550W Qtec = about 330W real, alot of cheap brands are deceiving due to how they are rated and don’t mention the output per rated against the running PSU temp because the warmer a PSU is the less power on offer.

Alot of brands now are conforming to being measured @50deg C where as cheapo of the cheap are only rated at 25deg therefore when things run warm a cheap PSU maybe be dragging its heals.

however I would avoid like the plague anything on this list…

Achieve
Aerocool
Allied
Apex
Aspire > Dangerous! They don’t even pretend to meet the ATX/AMD/Intel specs!
Austin
Codegen
Colorsit
Coolmax
Demon
Deer
Duro
Dynapower
Eagle
EagleTech
Foxlink
InWin (except FSP models)
JustPC
Kingwin
L&C
Logic
Linkworld
MGE
Mustang
Power-Man (except FSP models)
Powmax
Power-Up
Powerstar
q-tec
Raidmax (except Topower/Tagan models, not sold with cases)
Robanton
Rosewill
Thermaltake (except the Thermaltake W0057 PurePower 500W)
Turbo
Turbolink
Ultra (except X-Finity)

Some of these PSU’s are dangerous to your system, some are just sub-standard,
however NONE can be recommended, for high performance or over-clocked systems.

Thanks for the heads-up Paul.

This one caught my eye from OCUK:

HIPER PSU

Seems the sort of thing I’ll need, considering the drives are IDE not SATA. What do you think?

@Curly

[QUOTE=Curly99;363071]I think you’ll find the it will have 2 fans one on the bottom and one at the back, prolly the way they are pictured on store/review sites, as for recommandations well go for something around 500 - 600w with good 12v, 5v, 3.3v line/amps from good reputable makers, Enermax, Seasonic, Hipper and Tagan to name 4 HERES a psu calculator that might help in determining how big a psu you might need.

Curly[/QUOTE]

Tried this and it says that I only need a 260w PSU :confused: I’ll have another go later. Cheers :thumbsup:

[QUOTE=Droid;363153]Thanks for the heads-up Paul.

This one caught my eye from OCUK:

HIPER PSU

Seems the sort of thing I’ll need, considering the drives are IDE not SATA. What do you think?

@Curly

Tried this and it says that I only need a 260w PSU :confused: I’ll have another go later. Cheers :thumbsup:[/QUOTE]
just make sure you add everything… and give it another go and see, as for the psu that hiper would do you, I use the modular version HERE and had no problems…yet.

Curly

[QUOTE=wolram;363061]hehe, still on the XP2400 here myself, so I guess almost anything will out-perform it :slight_smile: I guess I may be a little over cautious about AM2, all the retailers seem to be dropping most 939 stuff :frowning:

I’ll then require a PCI-E GFX card, and also DDR2 memory if I go AM2 - not to mention a better (suitable) PSU - another £50 :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

ebuyer have S939 3800 dual cores in at the moment, scan have some 939 dual stuff too. I certainly get the feeling that NOW is the time to upgrade your 939 stuff because it’s becoming thin on the ground.

The CPU side of things doesn’t appear to be the problem … yet :slight_smile:

It’s getting a mobo I like in ATX, not mATX that is causing most hassle :frowning: