probably a stupid question but…

so in my study I have the NTL broadband connection and the point at which the cable comes into the house it is split to provide net and TV connections.

The question is, what type of TV can I get down this wire? If I put an XP media centre box on the end of it can I buy a digital pci tuner and get the free to air channels? or will I be best to buy a cheap analogue one and be done with 1-5?