One computer + 3 GTX280's = 21,500 PPD

Check out this forum thread for one guy’s trip into the absurd. The three GTX280’s combined surely exceeded the cost of the rest of the computer. The combo probably draws less power than Mortlake’s farm, though. :slight_smile:

In SA and GTX280 is around R7000 so 3 would be R21000 and the rest of the PC would be around R15000.

I certainly wouldn’t buy that unless I had more money that brains;)

An awesome setup nonetheless.

1200w PSU, I bet it’s not far off the limit for power usage too :eek:.

Soo If i am right , inproveing the graphics cards , Help folding ? And what else does ?

Jeeez! My 8800GT was netting me 4500PPD when I tried. When I’ve moved, I’ll be back in full swing mind.

More competition, im gonna have to start up some of the machines :frowning:

also bad fads…bad, about 4months now untill overtake :frowning:

Don’t feel bad, WP…with all these folks switching over, I know I’ll be dropping in the ranking pretty quick too.

[QUOTE=Noel da best;425050]Soo If i am right , inproveing the graphics cards , Help folding ? And what else does ?[/QUOTE]For the GPU2 client, the graphics card is King. The CPU is only marginally used (in Vista) - basically it is only used to download a new WU and upload the completed WU back to Stanford. Most of the crunching is done on the GPU. If you’re using the GPU2 client, then you want the most powerful graphics board you can afford. The rest of your computer can be “average” because the other high-end components don’t have near as big an influence as the graphics board does.

[QUOTE=war_pig;425055]More competition, im gonna have to start up some of the machines :frowning:

also bad fads…bad, about 4months now untill overtake :([/QUOTE]
I’ve been slacking… If you look at my daily production graph on Extreme Overclockers (click on my Siggy to go there), you’ll see a couple of big drop-outs. The first was while I was playing Bioshock, and last night’s was due to me firing up an oldie to see how it runs on the new computer: “Myst IV: Revelations”. I didn’t want to be passing you next week, WP! :newmon: And it’s “3.4 months” to overtake now. :devil:

Well, I dunno - I have a lonely 8800 Gts 320 on a C2D overclocked to 2.94, running Seti full tilt, and my PPD is 1674 on the GPU2 Client 1.07 - which beats the pants off my PS3. :slight_smile:

Which is Not A Lot compared to these big boys - but if you have a CDA compatible card - 8800 upwards I think - it’s a nice way to help folding.
Looking at task manager, it seems t’use about 20% cpu of one core every hmmm 10 secs on my machine.

So if you can spare a few cycles?