PC and TV

When I plug my PC into the TV to watch stuff on the TV, the pictures quality is a bit poo…

Is this the same for all? Or is it the fault of the drivers? (using Vista ATM)

Connecting to the PC with a S-Video cable which is plugging into a scart adapter along with audio from the PC (3.5mm jack to the red/white cables)

Screen wasn’t really in colour (dont think it was plain B+W) and was flickering a lot…

Using a nVidia 6200 if thats any help.

Is there any way to improve quality to a decent level so I can see what I’m doing and get it goo enough to watch a film?:rolleyes:

The chances are it was outputing in ntsc, and your TV was struggling to convert the image. I’d be more tempted to use a coomposite out if I could you tend to get better results with that, well I have when I’ve tried that in the past.

I know the vista drivers are a bit poo at the moment too so they would not be helping.

have a hunt for settings within the setup to change the output type.

sorry can’t help any more.

Check driver settings and make sure it is outputting in PAL. Also is there a way to check your TV and the scart adapter work with s-video? If not it might be kinda composite but not. If it works, s-video is a lot better than composite.

As for quality, resolution of a CRT TV is not as good as a monitor, so at higher resolutions you wont get fine details. 1024x768 is decent for films, but if you want to read fine text try 800x600 or even lower.

the problem i had for a ges was i had the wrong pal setting, Took a long time to realise that the uk for ‘newish’ teles anyways, is PAL-B

Composite out?

GFX only allows S-Video out, VGA and DVI (no DVI sockect on TV :frowning: )

Not connected to TV ATM but cant see anywhere in the nVidia control panel that can change between NTSC and PAL…

S-adapter is likle this one…
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=57789

Cheers for the help guys…

All nvidia cards I own have a s-video connector that with an adapter will also do composite. And it doesn’t offer the TV settings if it doesn’t detect a TV connected :stuck_out_tongue:

Right changed the TV and changed the card and OS…

Now using a different TV and it’s outputting fine in Black and white :frowning:

Resolution is a bit grim so managed to turn on large fonts and will drop the screen res down I think.

But why is it outputting no colour?
When I plug the VGA in I’m fine and dandy all colour and everything.

Setup into TV is the same, S-Video into a scart adapter. (TV has no composite input, only scart.

Have a look at this might be worth investing in. Some one on Hexus say’s it cured his problems.

Curly

try chaging the input on your TV Drezha, I can get picture on two of my inputs when using my laptops, one is colour one is b&w. Must have something to do with the TV sharing the front ports with a scart port I think - tbh dunno, it just works :lol:

DT.

Analog Pal (picture always lousy) and not NTSC (Never the same Colour) :wink:

Should be using type I not B (b) = western europe

Type I = UK 8mhz bandwidth 5.5mhz vision bandwidth with +6mhz sound spacing.

Type B is 5mhz vision spacing and 5.5mhz sound offset and will more likely than not give a blank and white image.

You will find with scart that many Tv’s have 2 scart modes try pressing your scart
button more than once to see if you can flick to a different scart profile if the tv
supports it.

As for Changing format on nvidia platforms

Pull up display properties
in the control panel list select nview display settings
in there you can select the monitors / tv / lcd in use
you will set as primary and secondary displays
then click the TV and then select device settings
you should then have a list of selectable modes.
choose I/Pal

Also, don’t they have different types of scart leads, some with all the pins there and some with a selection of the pins missing. I know I have and it affects the way the TV reproduces colour from the DVD/VHS

yes as scart wll carry s-video or rgb signalling

Have had this problem as well.
You can make your own convertor very cheaply by joining some of the the cables together in the s-video (pins 3-4 see S-Video - Wikipedia) before attaching it to the scart plug.
You can change the scart plug as well.
http://camp0s.altervista.org/sVideo/sVideo.htm gives an example of converting the scart plug to work on older TVs.
And not all of the scart plugs pins are used which is why they are sometimes missing.

Right OK , had another sort out last night and I’m now presuming it has something to do with the S-Video cable I am using.

AFAIK I managed to boot the center up and change to a setting that was PAL (United Kingdom) TBH it probably said PAL/B or something…

I’ll go back and try that with the current cable.

An S-video signal is split into two. One is the chroma signal (the colour data if you like) and the other is the luminescence (brightness data). If your picture is only B&W then you are chroma signal. Usually this happens when you feed an S-Video signal to a TV that will only accept composite.

(TV has no composite input, only scart.

The TV will have a composite input, its a couple of pins in the scart. What you mean is it doesn’t have an RCA composite input (usually a yellow phono plug thing)

yeah, I’ve come to the conclusion that mackeral and deaky have it right.

Will look again at that idea Curly had and will see if it’s avaliable anywhere else.

Just happened across this thread whilst trying to fix my TV connection problems and think I’ve solved it for my system - an Geforce 6800 - as follows:

Problem as alluded to above is that your TV isn’t accepting the s-video signal as s-video but as composite. If you check out this link:

http://freespace.virgin.net/matt.waite/resource/av/scart.htm

you’ll see from note 3 that although a Scart can take an s-video input, it still relies on the TV being configured to accept it. If the TV isn’t, then it just sees the signal on pin 20 as a composite signal, but as this is from an s-video cable its only the Y (Luma) part of the signal and you’ve lost the C (Chroma) = colour part which is going to pin 15 but not being used by your TV.

Easiest solution that worked for me is to install the Nvidia Geforce 91.31 driver. Then connect up the TV to the computer with your s-video cable going into the scart adapter which goes into the TV.

Fire up the nvidia control panel and under the “Change the signal or HD Format” option select “Composite” as your connector - NOT s-video. Set the format to IPAL and see if this works.

BTW - I’m looking for a way to get the Nvidia 6800 to output a TV signal when its not connected to the TV but to a video sender. It seems the TV signal only gets output from the card if there is a feedback loop detected as happens when it’s connected to the TV. My wireless video sender has a composite input, but mustn’t have the feedback loop as the graphics card doesn’t detect any connection when it’s plugged in, so doesn’t send the signal.

Rob.

I haven’t looked at it recently, but I do recall a checkbox somewhere in the drivers that says “force TV output”. Have a look for it.

Most cards expect a resistance to trigger, a low level or variable antuator or a Coax Y splitter maybe enough for the card to think a tv is connected.

But newer driver might have as mackerel mentioned a force TV option as it has
been a problem for many in the past.

Here is the checkbox on my system with 91.31 drivers.