Robocopy trouble - Windows 7

I try to robocopy my Documents to an external drive but it wont work properly.

The command I give is

C:\>robocopy C:\Users\Chris\Documents E:\Documents /MIR /Z

The error I get is:-

2009/05/25 21:45:12 ERROR 5 (0x00000005) Scanning Source Directory C:\Users\Chris\Documents\My Music\
Access is denied.
Waiting 30 seconds...

However, there’s no My Music folder in Documents and never has been.

This just a Windows 7 bug?

[QUOTE=drezha;439661]I try to robocopy my Documents to an external drive but it wont work properly.

The command I give is

C:\>robocopy C:\Users\Chris\Documents E:\Documents /MIR /Z

The error I get is:-

2009/05/25 21:45:12 ERROR 5 (0x00000005) Scanning Source Directory C:\Users\Chris\Documents\My Music\
Access is denied.
Waiting 30 seconds...

However, there’s no My Music folder in Documents and never has been.

This just a Windows 7 bug?[/QUOTE]

Did you run it from an Admin command prompt?

Start run ‘cmd’ ctrl+shift+enter…

G

Doing that results in robocopy copying My Music.

Except the folder doesn’t exist. Yet it copies all the music from C:\Users\Chris\Music

Don’t know if it will help, but from a Robocopy source web page:

If either the source or desination are a “quoted long foldername” do not include a trailing backslash as this will be treated as an escape character, i.e. "C:\some path" will fail but “C:\some path\” or “C:\some path” will work.

Robocopy will fail to copy files that are ‘locked’ by other users or applications, limiting the number of retries with /R:0 will speed up large jobs.

Worth a try putting the double slash in just in case or checking if the folder contents are locked by another programme. Other than that, don’t know Chris :shrug:

That did it :slight_smile:
By looks it ignores the folder then which is good.

I cant see it in use by anything (as the folder it’s moaning about doesn’t exist).

However that worked so I need to write it up into a batch file now :slight_smile:

Glad it worked Chris :cool: