Space Station Evacuation

The United States and Russia are making contingency plans for an emergency evacuation of the two-man crew aboard the International Space Station .

In Moscow Friday, Russian space agency officials say food supplies on the station have fallen below acceptable reserve levels. They say if a resupply mission scheduled for December 25 is significantly delayed, the crew will be forced to abandon the station.

U.S. space officials termed the situation “critical”, but said there is enough food to last until early January.

Cosmonaut Salizhan Sharipov and astronaut Leroy Chiao are only two months into their scheduled six-month stay aboard the space station. They have been asked to curb their calorie consumption.

Officials say, if necessary, the two men will be evacuated aboard a Russian Soyuz escape capsule which is always docked at the space station for emergency situations.

i hate it when holidays get cut short!

Hopefully they will be able to get supplies up to them before they are forced to abandon the space station.

They have been asked to curb their calorie consumption.

Sarge is obviously not on board :wink:

i would be perfect for the mission then. i once went 2½ days without food… because i FORGOT to eat… and i still didn’t feel hungry after all that time either :wink:

yes the power of being a chubby bstrd