Stupid power cuts

Woke up this morning to find my PC turned off and all the digital clocks flashing…

The last event in the event log was 12.30am, which means the power cut happened about 15 minutes after I had fallen asleep. Only just got up, so I’ve basically lost 2 WUs worth of crunching. It’s not the end of the world but it just annoys me.

I was also trying to beat my previous uptime record of 12 days (ish) and had got to 8 and a half days.

Have many of you experienced power cuts recently? We always seem to get them at this time of year, don’t know why…

:confused:

Yeah, we did here earlier in the week. My and the wife were in
B&Q and the everything went off :eek:
The wife said, before I thought of it; “Will your puter be ok ?”
I lost 2 hours there, coz the machine was off all the time I was
out.

If you have Windows XP there is a neat function. Somewhere, I can’t recall at the moment, is a setting on what to do after power cut. The three choices are, leave it off, turn it back on or keep the same state as before the power cut.

Yes, you go to:

Control Panel > System > Advanced (tab) > Startup and Recovery (settings)

… and the option is at the bottom. It was already set to automatically reboot. I guess this is more meant for if you have a bluescreen or the computer crashes. It wouldn’t be able to reboot when there’s a power cut because they’d be no power :wink:

Exactly :smiley:
You need a UPS to handle power cuts and they aint that cheap.

Originally posted by dalethfc
Exactly :smiley:
You need a UPS to handle power cuts and they aint that cheap.

I know, and tbh I don’t want or need UPS :slight_smile:

It’s only SETI at the end of the day :eek: :smiley:

most bios have a “last state” or “always on” in the power management settings. Worked for mine on a couple of occasions, but the router obviously resets and I tend to lose net connection, but hey its only LIFEMAPPER !!!

DT

/runs quickly away after a quick blaspheme

Hmmm power cuts down South :chin: … Watto trying more experiments perhaps ? :eek:

Originally posted by wolram
Hmmm power cuts down South :chin: … Watto trying more experiments perhaps ? :eek:

Sorry guy’s, been mixing up me latest batch of Ambrosia in the new 5 mega watt custard whipper:D

All in a good cause then SPEEDYJ

:smiley: … seems you may need a bigger mixer soon mate :nod:

my puters get thier power cut every 2 days like clockwork…we have a stupid token meter system with an ‘emergency credit’ zone, and when you hit that zone it helpfully informs you by cutting the power (as opposed to somthing sensible like beeping at you:rolleyes: ) at whitch point you have to go and press a button on it. thats how the main puter is dead:(

All my mobos bar one support automatic power up after power failure :stuck_out_tongue:

Plus just in case that don’t work, they are set to power up at 1pm everyday :slight_smile:

So the only crunching time I’ll lose in most cases is that time when there’s no power to crunch with anyway :wink: