The battle to save Hubble have begun!

Please sign this online petition at the SaveTheHubble.org website.

It seems this is only intended for US residents… but just select a state and make up a zip code then it should work. Hubble belongs to the World not just USA.

I get an answer after sign on

Dear Fellow Petitioner,

Our movement continues to gain momentum. Since NASA’s announcement canceling the shuttle servicing mission to Hubble, the daily signature count has increased to 300 per day, which puts us at ~3000 strong and counting. So keep doing what you are doing–emailing, linking, blogging, etc. To start bringing pressure to bare on the government, I believe we will need a base of 100,000 signatures. At that point, we will have the credibility to deliver our message to the powers that be.

I see hope in the fact that President Bush did not even mention NASA’s agenda for manned space flights to the Moon and beyond in the State of the Union Address–perhaps the administration is not all that committed to its current plan, and open to some good ol’ fashioned political pressure. Let’s bring it on.

Best regards,

Michael Paolucci
president
www.slooh.com
www.savethehubble.org

so sign on.

Sir Ulli

Hubble is one of the most sucessful scientific instruments NASA has launched in its 30 years. Unfortunately, it is dependant on STS (space shuttle) to keep running.

It’s not the Hubble that is being cut, it’s the STS service missions which are.

As marvelous as STS is it is a huge expense. STS was designed and built in the 1970s to be all things to all users. As many realize it has not lived up to its promises, its costs are many times what they should be and, it’s more dangerous than designed.

I can’t go on at length here with all of the issues and my position on them. To be brief, as much as I feel Hubble is a wonderful contribution to science, I agree the STS missions have to end as soon as possible with as few future flights as possible.

There was a interesting press conference with Sean O’Keefe, the NASA administrator, on NASA TV the other day.

He said that because the shuttle would not have the space station available for a “lifeboat” in case the mission developed a problem with the tiles that could bring it down like the Columbia, it was decided it was not worth risking the lives of 7 astronauts to do it. … makes sense to me.

He mentioned that the Hubble should continue to function until the end of the decade, when a bigger better replacement will be launched.

I dont want to be critical, but I dont think the idea that the Hubble belongs to the world, will carry much weight in the US.
Many here have come to the conclusion that whatever action the US takes, it will be critisized.

Possibly it would be better to have a petition urging the European space agency to come up with the money to launch a mission to service the shuttle…I’m sure NASA would be more than happy to have someone else pay the cost and risk their countries astronauts lives

Originally posted by Joe
…I’m sure NASA would be more than happy to have someone else pay the cost and risk their countries astronauts lives

I doubt that. Americans don’t think that way. No mention was ever made here about the nationality of those aboard Columbia. Reading the bios I discovered at least one was not American. We think of people as people and as the vast majority of us are imigrants whether someone is a citizen of this country or that is never brought up.

Originally posted by Joe
I dont want to be critical, but I dont think the idea that the Hubble belongs to the world, will carry much weight in the US.
Many here have come to the conclusion that whatever action the US takes, it will be critisized.

You are right. Americans couldn’t care less. That sort of appeal will have no effect here.

Originally posted by Joe
[B]He mentioned that the Hubble should continue to function until the end of the decade, when a bigger better replacement will be launched.

[/B]

I’ll believe that when I see it. The plan for this giant inflatable telescope is technically risky at best. I think Ball Aerospace is building it. They haven’t solved many of the problems yet and it is underfunded.