The old "That'll never happen to us" thread!

Well, you hear about it on the internet, but never really think it will happen to you, but it can!

Girflriend got a letter on saturday morning from her bank about some strange activity on her account, so she rings them up to find out she has been cleaned out to the sum of £900. Seems somebody had set up a ‘skimming’ device on one of the local supermarket ATM’s. Seems they put a device in place to read your card as it is going in and some kind of camera to view you putting in your PIN number, not much difference to the real thing supposedly. Having an argument with the bank over getting it repaid as it wasn’t a credit card, hopefully that will be resolved in the next few days though!

Cancelled my card on the saturday morning also, then got a call about 4 hrs later to say someone had tried to use it to withdraw from my account also! Quite lucky on that one, although the girl did laugh when i asked to cancel it over the phone that ‘they would need to put money into your accoutn before they can take it out again!’ which made me chuckle!

All in all not a great weekend, with me having to patch up the girlfriends brother on friday night after he though he was Arnie and tried to take on 4 bouncers at the local walkabout pub when he was flying out to Australia the following day! :sigh:

Happened to my brother a couple of years back - he thought it was a new style of ATM :shrug:

Just been speaking to my Dad as it looks like he’s had his credit card cloned too…:cussing:

Happened to me two years ago. I changed my pin number to be 8 numbers long, I always hide what i’m typing and fake numbers when I can’t hide it. I also check where the card goes in and try to wiggle it see if its lose or false. I guess i’m a little paranoid with this sort of thing, but its my money.

fenix, you arent paranoid, i would rather be safe than cleaned out and unable to pay the bills

I had someone go on a gambling weekend in America on mine to the tune of £600ish.
Took me a month to get the money back, had to fill out all sorts of paperwork.

a friend of mine got his card done, bank statements show that they paid for the shopping at 13:00 in portsmouth, then 7 mins later, on the same card, a whitdrawl of £150 in germany.
Found out it was a local texaco garage, police recently hit it and found that there was a hole in the roof tile where a camera ‘used’ to be.

Garage is still open…but have warned all to stay away from teh texaco on the Eastern Road in Portsmouth.

Well the bank fixed it pretty quick. Turns out that my cash had been withdrawn from a Gas station somewhere I couldn’t have been. Lucky for me I clock in at work so I could prove I was there and not elsewhere so I got my money back quick.

The funny part was (or not so much) that if they had done it two days earlier they would have gotten all my rent money, but by the time they did it I had already payed.

Sucks to be a criminal.

Oh and my Credit card got scammed a while back too… someone bought airline tickets in Finland with it… that one wasn’t hard to prove it wasn’t me :slight_smile:

so is the internet really that safe for credit card purchases ? or are you just as likely to be scammed at your local restaurant or cash machine ?

seems to me we have a rather high percentage people either been done or knowing a relative/friend who has been …

http://forums.teamphoenixrising.net/showthread.php?t=41238

It’s certainly getting a lot more frequent, and this is after the supposedly more secure chip’n’pin :eek:

DT.

I have heard rumblings (in Canada) about a layer of Biometric security to go along with traditional pin numbers for debit card transactions but getting banks and vendors to agree on one thing will be difficult without legislation so I’m not holding my breath.

[QUOTE=grrrd;365113]a friend of mine got his card done, bank statements show that they paid for the shopping at 13:00 in portsmouth, then 7 mins later, on the same card, a whitdrawl of £150 in germany.
Found out it was a local texaco garage, police recently hit it and found that there was a hole in the roof tile where a camera ‘used’ to be.

Garage is still open…but have warned all to stay away from teh texaco on the Eastern Road in Portsmouth.[/QUOTE]

Just about every petrol station seems to have a genuine CCTV camera watching the till area. Many of these look over the chip and pin device.

I like Fenix’s idea of using random numbers at the keypad and only actually pressing the real numbers hard enough to register as a key press.
:thumbsup:

[QUOTE=MrTFWitt;365128]
I like Fenix’s idea of using random numbers at the keypad and only actually pressing the real numbers hard enough to register as a key press.
:thumbsup:[/QUOTE]

It was actually suggested by the bank believe it or not :slight_smile:

Suppose your pin was

1 2 3 4 5

type

1 (fake 4) 2 (fake 6) 3 (fake 2) 4 (fake 8) 5 (fake 3) <ENTER>

That will confuse any cameras that are watching for sure.

Or you can just fake one number… chances are that will thwart the attempt… its not like someone is going to sit there after the pin fails 3-4 times.

ATM would reject the card after 3 and if I was working behind a till, I might allow 1 retry depending on the customer…

Just gone to make an online purchase to find the additional security page for my provider telling me I’m locked out. A quick call to the UK-based helpdesk :wink: and some detective work on their part shows someone tried to book €10,000 of something with a Spanish airline on Saturday :eek:

Thankfully the additional security saved me & card canceled.

Well, the g/f is getting all her cash back, she has had to sign a few forms to say she wasn’t at certain cashpoints in Kirkgate, Leeds at 6am on the days they were took (likely chance the lazy cow, there’s only one 6 o’clock in the day for her!).

Strange thing i found, was that she reported it to the bank, who advised not to report it to the police as they would deal with it. Then after speaking to them again, they do not report it to the police unless it is over a certain amount! Does this smack of the banks trying to keep the figures down over chip/pin theft/security???

Sure sounds like an attempt at covering things up to me :nod:

they can’t cover it up - they can affect the number of ‘unsolved’ crimes though.

Half way down the page, the figures for fraud …
http://money.uk.msn.com/banking/articles/article.aspx?cp-documentid=2976839

DT.

[QUOTE=DoubleTop;365828].

Half way down the page, the figures for fraud …
http://money.uk.msn.com/banking/articles/article.aspx?cp-documentid=2976839

DT.[/QUOTE]

cough up 37% on last year :eek: (if I saw the right bit)

Does’t count against the police quota if not registered as a crime, therefore does get put on annual crime figures for the country.

Always report as a crime if one has taken place, but be prepared for it not to go anywhere, difficult to trace if used on internet.

my quick 2p, will clarify if needed