Time frame of Seti 1?

Does anyone know of a definite time frame for the phase-out of Seti 1?

If it’s an appreciable time in the future, I might be able to justify a few hundred installations. However, if there’s the possibility that 3 months down the line (for sake of argument) that the b0rkley servers will be taken off-line, I probably can’t justify several hundred clients trying to download.

Sounds daft, but the powers that be are often more concerned with a failed connection rather than huge bandwidth consumption :slight_smile:

There is no aktuall time frame for the phase-out of Seti 1, the people at Borkeley are working hard to get BOINC Astropulse to get work.

It was said the BOINC Astropulse will beginn in this Summer, but the Beta Client is not working correct at this time.

My thougt

BOINC Astropulse will start at the end of this year, and then in 2004 Seti 1 will be continued at BOINC.

regards
Sir Ulli

I don’t think they will be getting rid of SETI 1. There is lots of data they are happy to have crunched in two bit resolution. Berkley has more raw data than they know what to do with.

BOINC allows eight bit crunching. Also there are many who will not make the switch. Not everyone realizes they are still running SETI. How many machines are on auto transmit where the person who installed is long gone or has forgotten about it? If Berkley quits feeding them data, nothing will be crunched.

Originally posted by HairyMonster
[B]I might be able to justify a few hundred installations

I probably can’t justify several hundred clients trying to download.
[/B]

OMG!:scared:

The number gets bigger the more you talk about it…

Can I offer my account if you need somewhere to spread the results out to:sneaky::smiley:

Originally posted by richardlellisjr
[B]I don’t think they will be getting rid of SETI 1. There is lots of data they are happy to have crunched in two bit resolution. Berkley has more raw data than they know what to do with.

BOINC allows eight bit crunching. Also there are many who will not make the switch. Not everyone realizes they are still running SETI. How many machines are on auto transmit where the person who installed is long gone or has forgotten about it? If Berkley quits feeding them data, nothing will be crunched. [/B]

i hope they dont get rid of seti 1 as i will just continue doing that rather than the new 1, i like things as they are :stuck_out_tongue:

Actually, I’m happy with Seti 1 also. I’ve installed Seti on a few dozen computers at the hospitals where I work, and when I move in a year, I won’t have access to them to install anything else.