Track car project - including diary of a track n00b

March 17th

So yesterday was the moment of truth!!!

We got up at 6:30 which is a feat in itself on a Sunday and set off to Waterbeach. As we knew the weather was going to be wet (bit of an understatement actually!), Phil had changed the tyres from our lovely new R888s to a set of Yokohama A539’s. They would at least help on the drive to Waterbeach and of course we took the R888s with us in case the weather got better.

Once we got to the track, we put waterproofs on straight away. The weather was horrendous. Freezing cold rain and a wind which built up speed on the way down the runway in the same way the Hawker Hunters had done in the past. Well, lets just say it was Cold with a capital C!!!

Our first task was to fit the stickers, as it is required by the Sprint Series that all cars carry the sponsor’s stickers. Have you ever tried to stick things to a car in the cold, wet and wind? My advice is don’t!!! We gave up on the sunstrip as that was just going to end in tears!!! Anyway, we sort of got most of them on in the end!

At 9:30 we had the drivers briefing and then it was a mad dash to get in the cars for two sighting laps. As it was compulsory for every driver to do the sighting laps, Phil took his road car out onto the track too. I thought I best drive Humphrey though to see what it really felt like!

The track began with a layout of cones, with the idea that you go between them in a ‘gate’ sort of fashion. My first worry was that I’d get lost so first of all concentrated on remembering where they were. Then there was a fantastic sweeping left hander, opening out onto a long straight ending in a tight chicane. After that was a right hand sweep into a long straight for the finish. After the finish was a very long trek to get back to the paddock, which we were warned to drive slowly for, which made it take even longer!!

Once the sighting laps were done, it was time to start queuing for two untimed practice laps. Phil decided that as we were sharing a car, it was a good idea to out early otherwise we might find that we miss out on runs. As it happened, we did start to get behind, but the marshals realised this and allowed drivers sharing cars to jump the queue.

Phil went out first for his practice, so he could tell me what the track was like. I went to the start as it’s important to get the start right on a sprint, so I wanted to watch some others to try and pick up tips! Throughout the day, the ‘traffic light’ starting system kept failing and towards the end, the marshals were just doing a 5…4…3…2…1…GO! Which was lots of fun!!

Phil finally got to the front of the queue. For his first run the traffic light was working and he went on the green light. Through the first gate, and suddenly he braked sharply and locked up the front wheels! He had nearly missed the second gate! It was quite a sharp right from the first gate and it was out of his line of sight, so he had started heading for gate three before realising!!!

The way the track was laid out meant you could only see to the end of the coned section, and missed seeing the second half of the track and the finish. It wasn’t great for our spectators (thanks to all who showed up to support us!!). However I finally saw Humphrey driving up the runway towards to paddock, and then it was my turn!

I got a bit nervous waiting in the queue, but once I got to the front and started concentrating on my start, I felt fine. After the third gate I was loving it! However when I got back to the paddock, Phil said people had laughed at me because of how slow I was. I never expected to be a natural at this! I knew I needed to concentrate more and really get my foot down, brake less and start scaring myself!

We had three timed runs before a lunch break, and I was definitely feeling more and more confident each time. I was GUTTED when Phil brought my times back and saw that I was a good 20 seconds off the pace. However I had made a 7 second improvement from my first to last run! Phil was doing brilliantly and was first in the class.

On to the afternoon, after a yummy chilli and chips from the catering van. As the track dried out, I got more and more confident, and just had more and more fun! Phil was debating a tyre change, but every time he thought about it, it would start to rain. However, in the dry, power becomes a higher factor than skill and Phil dropped down to 3rd in class – only a few tenths of a second behind the 2nd in class – something we might have been able to claw back with the other tyres. However, on the plus side he was the fastest in a N/A Mk1 so that’s an achievement! And before you ask, yes I was slowest. Still well off the pace although improving on my morning times by 14 seconds. I’m embarrassed to say that the Toyota Aygo actually beat my times 

So finally we were packing up and I was dreaming about the lovely hot bath I would have once I got home. My arms and shoulders ached, I never realised driving could be so painful. Maybe this is even something that is holding me back!

I’d had the most fun possible today. I really didn’t think I’d enjoy it as much as I did. I was pooping myself in the morning and nearly bottled it quite a few times. At least not I’m going to be confident from the start at the next sprint and hopefully will push myself further.

Phil and I have booked a trackday at Snetterton next week, and also a tuition session each, which I’m sure I’ll benefit from immensely. In the meantime, Humphrey is being used as a daily driver as Sakura is still at the bodyshop!

Nice going TK!! :thumbsup:

Have you got a link to info on that? I’d like to know how you get on. One day I’ll take part… but I think it’ll have to be in a Supra (can’t afford another one to throw on the track atm!).

Video of the Sprint track being done in a Lexus. That showed me the half I couldn’t see as a spectator!

http://www.motorsportvision.co.uk/snetterton/trackdays/msv-trackdays.asp

Just booked through MSV. They were doing a novice trackday on the Weds but we decided to go with the big boys! The feeling is that if I cock up, I’d rather not have a n00b behind me, or at the side of me. I’d rather have someone alert enough to get out of the way!

Its a shame spectators couldn’t see more at Waterbeach. You missed the cool left hander and the funny chicane where I locked up!!!

2 questions :wink:

1st - Whens the next one :slight_smile:

2nd - Do you know all the event locations and dates ? Husband of lady at work Marshalls for things like that - quite fancy getting to one sometime in the future.

Full season:

16th March – Waterbeach, Cambs
4th May - Barkston Heath, Lincs
14th June - Teesside Aerodrome (Light)
17th August – Woodbridge, Suffolk
25th October - Teesside Aerodrome (Dark)

The events are run by Javelin Motorsport, not sure what their marshalling arrangements are.

25th March 2008

Just got the official pics back from the photographer. They are cool! He even got shots of our road car when Phil had to take him out on track. Hopefully later in the season we will have some nice pics of Sakura!

Just uploaded a few.

My ‘driving face’ is either a mad grin as seen below or quite a dumb gawp…

Phil giving it some!

Me giving it some off the start line muahaha!!! Phil is in the background of this shot. He says he had been to the loo as I was in a long queue. Just as he came out and started walking he heard a car wheelspinning off the line. He thought ‘wow they are trying’ then realised it was me. He was proud :smiley:

Some of the other stuff that was there to give an idea of the diversity:

Aygo:

Celicas:
(There were plenty of other ST185s and ST205s but I just included the liveried ones because they look more interesting :p)

Corollas:
AE92 Corolla GTi, was second in our class. Actually driven by someone else from work although I didn’t know him beforehand.

Fensport Corolla - Set fastest time of the day.

Lexus:

MR2s:
mk1.5

Mk2V6 which I almost beat (Will get him next time :p)

Sera:

Starlets:
Mad RWD 4A-GE powered starlet, conversion was only finished the night before the event. Spent most of the event sideways. Won our class.

27th March

Today Phil and I took Humphrey to Snetterton to do a trackday. Phil had also booked us a tutorial session each.

Last weekend, Phil had fitted the passenger seat as the idea was for us to go out in Humphrey together so that I could see Phil driving and get a feel for what the car can do and also so that Phil could observe me and give me some tips. Also, during the tuition, our instructor would need somewhere to sit! Phil also finally fitted the Sprint Series sunstrip, which we had decided not to do at a rainy and windy runway in Cambridgeshire.

We had an early start but fortunately Snetterton is 10 minutes down the road from us. Some people must have had very early starts however as most of the garages were used when we got there. We did get a garage though which was rather handy as a base to dump things – especially as it was raining. It was pointed out that it’s good for me to get experience in the wet though as obviously grip isn’t as good so I will be experienced enough to control the car in the wet and also go faster in the dry! In theory anyway!

We had a couple of sighting laps with Phil behind the wheel and then Phil went out for a run with me as the passenger. It was still quite wet and actually raining so we took it fairly steady as were most of the other drivers. I was amazed though at how much grip we were still getting even in the wet and how fast you can actually go round corners. I’m learning!

After a few laps, we took Humphrey back to the pits to have a cool off and make sure everything was still where it should be. It was, and so I got in the driver seat and went out. I was much slower than Phil and got rather frustrated at having to keep moving over for the faster cars. We had been told in the briefing that overtaking could be done on the straights only, but it’s still rather unnerving to have a car right up your bumper when trying to concentrate on speed, braking and racing lines!

Unfortunately after about 4 laps a red flag was waved and we all had to go back into the pits. I decided I was hungry so had a rather nice full English at the café whilst they sorted out the stranded car on track.

We went and arranged our tuition and then Phil had another go on track. Unfortunately as we got to the first corner we noticed a car had overcooked it quite a lot and had managed to get stuck in the gravel. Another red flag so a trip back to the pits. We decided to just stay in the queue this time and went straight back out once the car was cleared. The track was drying quite nicely now and there was a definite drier line to follow. Phil had trouble with understeer and we had a few hairy moments round some corners! Once he had done a few laps, we returned to the pits and changed tyres to our rather handy spares on the road car. Upon removing the tyres from Humphrey, we saw that they were virtually slick on the inside so a major contributor to the understeer!

It was time for my tuition! I did a few laps without him saying much so he got an idea of how I was driving, and then started giving tips and advice. He was absolutely fab, and I really improved. He even told Phil this afterwards. I found that I had been driving up to a corner, panicking, braking hard, realising I was braking too ahrd, accelerating, being scared, braking again, going all over the place and coming out of the corner all wrong! I learnt to smoothly brake into the corner, get all my braking done, then start steering and finally booting it out of the corner. I realised that most of my hairy moments were actually down to me panic- braking rather than any speed or other reasons. Good lesson!

My tutor also made me laugh a lot. As there were still cars coming up faster behind me, I was pulling over on straights and after corners, and he was like ‘what are you doing? Don’t tell me you are pulling over for that? Let him sort himself out and you concentrate on the driving, I’ll have words later if anything is said’. He also explained to me that the use of two fingers was entirely permitted with aggressive drivers (but I was still too scared and pulled over anyway!)

Lunchtime was soon upon us and after a cheese baguette we had a nice lounge around at the garage. The sun had come out and it was rather pleasant sat just out of the breeze. This sun meant the track had dried pretty much completely and I was looking forward to my first run on dry track! After lunch Phil had his tuition, which gave me the opportunity to take some pictures at Russell.

Phil also said he had felt the benefit of the tuition, probably not as much as I did though! Once Humphrey had had a rest, I went back out. I really felt a lot smoother and less panicked, and Phil noticed a difference too. I got the tyres squealing at most corners which must mean I’m going faster! However, I was still slow and cars were still bullying me out of the way. I got very stressed when a Porsche tried to undertake at Russell, it’s a hard chicane to do anyway and they weren’t supposed to be doing it on corners  I came in soon after as my concentration had gone to pot. I’d love to have just been out on the track with no other cars to really get the corners sorted!

After another rest, and a top up with fuel, Phil took Humphrey out again. It had been raining on and off whilst I had been out so the track was getting a little greasy again. At least this had the advantage of fewer cars on track. We were just remarking how much grip there still appeared to be, when Phil lost the back coming out of the bombhole. We ended up going backwards down the track, and then Phil cleverly flicked the front round so we were facing the correct way. No other cars were about and phil had managed to keep us on track at all times. Good show! We carefully went back to the pits however just to make sure everything was ok. It was, and we were soon out again. The track was much greasier now as it had still been slightly raining and we noticed that there was very little grip on most corners. A few laps later and the intimidating Porsche was back on our bumper. Not sure what happened next, maybe Phils concentration was a bit off because of the Porsche, maybe we had gone on to a wetter part of track so he could pass, but the next thing we knew we were spinning again. Phil managed to control it again, so we ended up off the track, but on tarmac. We were a bit worried as we were right before the apex of a corner after the pit straight, and cars didn’t know we were there. However a marshall could see down the straight and waved us out when it was clear. We took it steady back to the pits in case there was a problem with the car. We really don’t know what happened. Anyway Humphrey appeared fine on the way back, and we got to the pits with no other problems.

I think the spins had shaken me up a little, (but it was fun!), as I decided I didn’t want to do another drive. It was about 25 mins to the end of the day anyway so we packed up and watched the last of the cars on track. I think I was just tired and didn’t think I was going to get much out of the last run. I’d rather end on a positive and confident note than something bad happen on my last run and I’d have the lasting memory of it!

What with rain, tuition and red flags, we didn’t really get much track time each for a 8 hour day. However we have used a tank of fuel! I feel I got a lot out of watching Phil drive, and the tuition, and also having a chance to drive properly again. Hopefully this will show in the next sprint!!

We had a webspace problem earlier so I uploaded my pics to an album online. More pics from the day can be found here, and they aren’t all of us for once!

http://finkydink.myphotoalbum.com/view_album.php?set_albumName=album09

most excellent stuff, glad to see progress is being made and the tuition really helped. It looks like a fun day was had, shame the weather cooled things down though. How much is a track day up there, I’ve got castle-combe local to home and always wondered if I could prise the Westfield out my friends garage for a day :wink:

DT.

We paid £214 for two drivers plus tuition x2. Not bad really :slight_smile:

We shared a garage with a Caterfield thingybob, I’d have had a passenger ride if it hadn’t been wet most of the day!!! They do look like fun!

Looks like a fun day was had! I’ll have to be going to one of those in the future, just need to get the damn service done on my car (and probably some better tyres) :D.

Oh and I found this one amongst the sprint pics…

Haha, thanks kaiowas :D. Hopefully there’ll be a picture of it joining in one day, I have no idea what class that would go in though :eek:.

‘Professional’ photos have been received. Sorry about the watermarks!

i saw him take this one, the cheeky thing! I quite like it but it’s a shame Phil has his eyes shut!

Poseur :wink: Looks like a great day :slight_smile:

Not great quality but I took a video on my camera of Humphrey at Snetterton:

Well, the words and pictures you have all seen before, but this is what they look like in print:

(They actually look better but the scanner lowered the quality a bit!)

http://www.kaiowas.co.uk/vix/Sprint/page1.jpg
http://www.kaiowas.co.uk/vix/Sprint/page2.jpg
http://www.kaiowas.co.uk/vix/Sprint/page3.jpg
http://www.kaiowas.co.uk/vix/Sprint/page4.jpg
http://www.kaiowas.co.uk/vix/Sprint/page5.jpg

most cool - published work :thumbsup: :hail: :hail:

www.mr2only.com lob em a link :smiley:

DT.