Track car project - season 3

cracking stuff, well done :clap:

DT.

Hugely off topic but seems as good a place as any to post.
As an occasional track day manager I very much enjoyed this clip. Not as far from the truth as it might appear.

Very good :lol:

Any more updates ?

I somehow missed the updates with the dukes-of-hazzard paint job, looks good though

Been a bit quiet on the updates front. Are Kaoiwas and TK racing this year? I missed last year, 'cause of working away :frowning:

Well natural curiosity lead me to poke around Vix’s photo album.

Pictures speak louder than words but raise more questions about what happening to Humph

Hi guys,

Sorry about the lack of updates, I think Vix stopped doing regular forum updates as most things now end up on facebook (www.facebook.com/TeamCutler for anyone interested) plus the mag she was writing the updates for is no longer publishing.

Winter preparation was all a bit of a palaver in the end. The engine came out for a rebuild, in theory, to cure it’s smokiness. Lasted about 3 days before it was smoking worse than before so it all came apart again and I was fitting a new piston 4 days before the start of the season.

Got everything back together though and made it to the season opener at Rockingham on Sunday. Managed runner up in class too despite a few minor issues.

New for this season we now have onboard video. I’m just sorting through the footage and should have something up sometime this week.

Can’t wait to see the video. Did it need a re-bore before the new pistons went in or was it just wear in the rings?

Given that I’d eliminated just about everything else we were pretty sure the rings were knackered in some way. We were getting lots of oil into cyl 1 under load and having to juggle the plugs around every now and again just to prevent fouling/misfires.

On stripping the engine the rings on cyl 1 and 4 were stuck tight in their grooves. Bores were fine and were just given a hone. After the rebuild the oil was being burnt in cylinder 2. After stripping the engine again it transpired that the piston was looking a bit worse for wear (and had possibly been moved from cyl 1 to cyl 2 during the build). replacing it was a bit of a flyer as it wasn’t convinced it was the cause of the problem, but then there was nothing else left to do. Was a lot better at the weekend though even if we were still burning a little oil on the overrun (I think it was just a little overfilled and burning off the excess but will be keeping an eye on it).

What about the breather system? Is that clear. My old Volvo had a similar problem and it was due to oil build up in the breather hoses just filtering through. A good clean out put paid to that. Also there might still be some oil in the exhaust from the previous problem that might be burning off too. Sounds good though and getting runner-up was a nice bonus considering you’d just rebuilt the engine. :cool:

The breather system isn’t particularly sophisticated on these anyway, it’s all fine.

First videos are up:

More will follow, all my runs will be up tonight, Vix’s will be up either late tonight or sometime tomorrow

Bit hairy some of those chicanes m8!! :eek: Looked good though and I like the F1 nose cam :slight_smile: :cool:

Videos have all finished uploading. Highlights for those who can’t be bothered sifting through them are:

My first timed run where I had a moment under braking at the end of the pit straight:

Vix’s fastest run (run 5):

Vix’s 7th run where she had to pull over with steam coming out of the back:

My fastest run (run 8):

Not having a Facebook account I thought I would post this here.

If you need a donor car or even a new track project, how about this for 1100 quid ?
http://auctions.asm-autos.co.uk/vehicle_list.php?x=&t0=0&t1=1&t2=2&t3=3&t4=4&member=&member_site=32&site=&fl=1&s=supercharged&orderby=7&value=97644

Its apparently RWD with 265Bhp, not UK registered and stripped for track use.
I’m tempted but skint.

/edit
Actually, I’m talking cobblers. Its FWD.
This should have been something of a clue.

Where’d you get that power figure from? Seems very optimistic. Only way I can see it achieving that is if there’s a turbo hidden away on the end of that aftermarket manifold. With the standard SC you’re not going to get much beyond 200, and you’d be wanting to replace the stock IC with something better to get that far.

Whilst I’m here I guess an update is due, looks like it’s been a while so I might struggle to remember that far back. The 2011 season was a case of ‘one thing after another’. The new piston didn’t cure the oil burning for very long and we spent all season doing a credible Red Arrows impression, this was particularly pronounced at Croft where were left effectively running a low compression N/A with a big restrictor in the inlet after some electrical gremlins stopped the SC clutch from engaging. Last round of the year was Blyton park where our day ended early after a complete loss of drive. Investigation over the winter revealed the cause:

Also over the winter I pulled the engine again and replaced the entire bottom end with another one. Happy to report that Humphrey has completed a smoke free season since. In fact this season has been pretty quiet, no regular competition in our class has meant that an overall class win was inevitable and the car has behaved well. The less said about Vix ploughing antics the better although it did result an having to rebuild the front valance/splitter. Fitted some different suspension this year as well which has taken some time to get set up properly but we did a trackday at Donington last month and I think I’ve got it cracked now. Must be time to change everything again…

Speaking of which we bought another car earlier in the year…

Wasn’t a (quite) a runner at the time, and still isn’t. But it came with a whole host of goodies attached…

Safety Devices MSA spec rollcage
Plenty of fibreglass panels (FG doors are comically lightweight)
Some nice suspension
LSD
Standalone ECU
Stack dash
Water injection
…and a turbo off an S15

The turbo conversion wasn’t completely finished. It had been previously converted with an inadequate turbo then the previous owner got as far as buying the right one before losing interest. In theory I just needed to plumb this turbo in and get it remapped. Made some progress but haven’t got as far as I’d have liked. Conservatively aiming for somewhere north of 250bhp once it’s done although I reckon 280 is feasible. Either way it’ll be a big step up from where we are atm.

Vague plan for this winter now is to gradually move all of the nice things over from this car to Humphrey (Cage came out last week ready for transplant) whilst keeping this car a runner so I can get the engine running properly before swapping it over at some point. Once I’ve got everything I want on thins car I’ll hopefully still have the motivation to build it up to track worthy condition before selling it on again as a ready-to-run car.

Figures came from google and seem to be more towards the Pub Bragging end of the scale.
Just add 100 and hope nobody notices.

I thought it might be a useful donor if you were still dabbling with superchargers but if there are turbos on the shopping list instead this probably isn’t all that relevant.