Upgrade time again......

I managed to pick up a Kingston Hyper X Fury 240GB for £69.99 at Amazon.

The cheapest SSD I have managed to pick up was the Intel 40GB 320 Series 2.5" SATA-II SSD, managed get 2 of them at £19.98 each with free delivery from Ebuyer… wasn’t bothered about the small size or them being SATA-II as they are just on dedicated crunchers.

Just given my 3 Nvidia cards, which I devote to GPUGRID, a bit of a spring clean. Took the fan/heatsink cowling off and found all of them suffering from cat hair debris!!! After a defluff found the temps have dropped 25 degrees and the core frequencies have returned back to what they were originally and they are running a bit quieter too!!!

Think I’ll have to defluff them every so often to keep them running sweet!!!

Scary how much of them cats get in there :D. Harry, being hairy and loves sleeping on top of the PC does not help it at all :chuckle:

And having 3 cats doesn’t help… And one of mine insists on using my router as a place to sit!!!

Damn… I’m getting that upgrade itch again… and it’s all because of my daughter!!!

After splitting up with her boyfriend of 8 years she decided she wanted a gaming rig… and wanted me to build it for her… So I put together a shopping list topped off with a Ryzen 1600… Ran a test on Rosetta to see how it performed… the result was depressing for me… with 6cores/12 threads it managed to double what my 1090T can achieve!!! Not only that her GTX1050Ti was quicker than my GTX670 on GPUGRID!!!

Can I resist the temptation!!!

Go for it!

(the boyfriend option might have been cheaper)

Do not resist temptation :slight_smile:

Rosetta would appreciate the extra output [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

So far I’m managing to resist temptation… One thing annoying me is most of my systems are Win7 and it isn’t officially supported for the Ryzen CPU’s.

Damn!!! Just ordered a Ryzen 5 1600, Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 motherboard and 16GB DDR4 memory!!! Damn!!! :wall:

Had £135 worth of Amazon Gift Certificates to spend (from doing on-line surveys) so that’s dropped the cost a bit…

Damn… ordered the bits expecting delivery today… CPU from Amazon and motherboard + memory from ebuyer… Went for the cheap delivery options… free next-day delivery on “Amazon Prime free trial” and next day Collect+ with the ebuyer order… the Collect+ option costing £1.98 instead of £7.99…

Noticed last night the ebuyer order was still at order placed… phoned them today and they said the Collect+ point I had selected wasn’t being recognised on the system… couple of minutes later they said it’s now gone through and would be sent out today… :wall:

Damn… was so looking forward to getting it up and running today…

One thing to note… AM2/3 coolers can be used with AM4 as long as they are the clip on type… but the screw mounts are slightly different, so need updated fittings for coolers that mount to the back plate… I’ve had to order a “free” adapter for my Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO from Coolermaster… Despite having to pay postage it’s still a lot cheaper than buying a new cooler.

Been fiddling in preparation of the arrival of my new bits… My 1090T system has now been boosted to 16GB of memory after swapping some sticks of memory around…

The Phenom II 1090T/ ASUS Crosshair IV Formula might be an oldie, but it’s a golden oldie and is still a cracking system!!! :worship:

Nice! I’d like to try one of the new Ryzen CPUs as the specs look great, but it would mean buying a new board and cash is tight at the mo.

Spent a few hours last swapping memory sticks around between systems and ended up with one refusing to boot…

Took until 04:00 to get things sorted!!! :crash:

When the upgrade is complete there’ll be a motherboard/CPU/RAM bundle going on fleabay to recoup some of the money spent on this upgrade. The upgrade has cost me just under £400, but would have been £330 if I’d gone for 8GB DDR4 instead of 16GB.

It’s also allowed me to boost another system (my 1090T) up to 16GB… the RAM going on fleabay is a spare 2x2GB kit left over from an earlier upgrade.

Rest of the bits came and it is now up and running,but it was a struggle!!!

Thought I could get away without having to do a clean install of Windows 10… how wrong I was… it just didn’t want to know!!!

Also there seemed to be problems with the original BIOS causing boot problems… After updating the BIOS to a more recent version things started behaving themselves and it didn’t take long after that for a fresh Windows install…

Currently crunching through some Rosetta WU’s as a test!!!

I had a problem with the system saying that the Dual UEFI BIOS was corrupted on a Gigabyte 970 board running Win 7. Had it RMAd once, but got the same with the replacement Still not found the cause after many hours of tinkering, but think it may have been RAM timing as I was using 1866mhz and I think it should have been a max of 1600mhz, even though the specs said it could take it. Still have it, but not sure if I will use it yet.

Even if claimed supported by mobo and ram manufacturers, I find running ram above CPU rated speeds can be hit and miss.

Agreed and that could have been the cause. Will revisit the issue at a later time.

Well, my little Ryzen 1600 has achieved 10K in 24 hours… Impressive!!!